Corner desks, how hard can it be?

Soldato
I currently have a 180x80cm desk, which is a nice size, but with 2x 27in displays there isn't much room for other peripherals (VR headset, HOTAS etc) to sit. So I thought "man imagine if I could put two of these together in an L shape, but instead of a corner, there was a curve edge in the middle so I'd have loads of depth to put my monitors further back, and I'd have all this extra space at the sides!".

Can I find anything like that? No. They are all either 50cm deep at the sides, asymmetrical, or otherwise trying way to hard to be something more than just a flat surface.

If anyone can help me find something like this, I will be immensely grateful

VYlXZIt.png

Associate
I went the opposite way a couple months back. Used to have a corner desk (1700x1500 I think it was), and have moved to an 1800x800 rectangular desk.

Biggest issue I found, was when sitting in the corner, due to where my chair arms hit the desk, it felt like I was sat so far away from the desk it was not properly comfortable (although I manged to live with it for a few years). I only noticed quite how much when I started using the rectangular desk.

When I was looking to replace the corner desk, I was originally looking for a corner desk, but had similar issues to you. I found the only way to get it close to symmetrical, is to get a standard desk, then get an "addon" for the short side. Some have a set of draws designed to be the same height to increase the desk surface area. The other option would just be 2 desks, 1 corner, 1 small rectangular. Neither are ideal though, due to having a table leg at the join.

I decided the only way to get a desk symmetrical without a leg in the middle, would be to build my own, but decided it wasn't worth it, so just got a rectangular desk instead.

FYI - I have 3x27" monitors on my desk, along with a laptop & docking station, but my tower isn't on the desk. Are your monitors sat on the desk, or on arms? Mine are on arms, so are clamped to the back of the desk. Makes such a difference to the amount of desk space you have available.

Soldato
Ive got something like this. I cant remember if thats the website i got it from, but at the time they did do an 1800 wide one. I've attached a picture of what i've got on mind, thats a falcon, a 27" monitor and a 500mm wide 3d printer, so ytou could easily fit 3 screens along the back. If you get a set of draws, it does add a bit of space, those ones are 400mm wide
y4m5WYwZZgBhDPEXDFYSthP2Ps662t9sLTxOdtT5IQPnVQ3fNiZAKcP46OpuTSc2KkhcNiT9GRgYcoRCuaJL97fINmgmwTGlc6qaHxkqbTnHsjbbmdHQybrgbmfMHgTn5CmocY97weEE4e_8CgXWTtw7M-GLn67SKtPZX0s8NqZTjfK5KFIA6u-mxIpRHWfjciG

Man of Honour
Impressive find ^, pricey though in comparison to some. Almost all the ones I find are either 80cm one side and 60 the other, which - although understandable if using with a 60cm pedestal - can be infuriating if you want that depth.

I've recently been hunting for a corner desk again and I really don't want to pay through the nose for a bad quality one, when second hand items from office clearances are going for under £150 delivered (sometimes including pedestal).

Soldato
asymmetric ones are my choice .. since you don't really sit into the corner for typing, like theones picture,
sit in front of main monitor with auxiliary in the corner, at an angle to you.

for home working ? or gaming

I'd go handed, similar to what we use at work - ergonomic shape and height is what counts .. so you can sit 'into' it
need depth so can have monitor far enough back, probably need riser anyway , if keyboards, to be, at right level,
with depth too, there's enough space for an a4 pad when needed too.

for working, two vertical monitors can be more ergonomic.

50257650281_8a495c50f9_c_d.jpg

Soldato
OP

That is PRECISELY what I'm after. Bloody expensive for what it is, mind, but good to know I have an option. Cable management holes on the three corners too :).

I'm not really concerned by the arm rests issue @R.C.Anderson mentioned as mine are adjustable and I have them below the height of the desk so I can scooch in anyway.

Primarily, gaming is the focus, and I'm considering going ultrawide (in the corner) so then I could tack my existing monitors as secondaries on either side and still have plenty of room. One day I'll mount them on an arm, as it really does make a difference, but for now they're on their bases. I have a little side unit that would fit under that Avalon desk, so there's my extra storage sorted.

Bosh! Thanks gents. Just gotta find a bargain somehow

Man of Honour
@Devrij did you order one in the end? I'm after one with similar dimensions however I'd really want to have cable management options (I have a lot of cables). If you did get one, how did you find it?

Man of Honour
Ikea do L shaped ones, not quite what you are after but they are reasonably priced.
I've seen the Bekant but ultimately it's too small. I need the long side to be 1800mm and I need the short side to be at least 1600mm and have enough room to sit straight onto a second laptop/screen. The Bekant and most corner desks don't have enough space on the shorter 'leg' to have a separate work place set up. I'm constantly alternating between screens and workstations so I need that space. An L shape would be ideal, I have one now but the base is 3 pieces and doesn't fit the best together. I also need really decent cable management, I have 4 computers which all need power/networking etc. Not much to ask for I know! :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Might be an idea to find an office clearance company and ask if they sell off any of the stuff they clear out? May not be brand new but probably dirt cheap and could also be reconditioned.

Soldato
OP
@Devrij did you order one in the end? I'm after one with similar dimensions however I'd really want to have cable management options (I have a lot of cables). If you did get one, how did you find it?
I didn't. Couldn't find anything like it for what I was willing to spend. Everything is asymetrical, way too deep at the corner etc. If you find anything, let me know!

Associate
The whole point of a corner desk is that you work into the corner. Its designed for ergonomics so that the deepest part of the desk is where you work, so that you have adequate room to support your wrists, have room for your mouse and monitors and other peripherals. They are not designed for 2 separate work areas. The idea is that they provide the same amount of desk area as a linear desk in a smaller linear footprint. It sounds like what the OP needs is a modular desk, with 2 rectangular desks and a corner unit to hold them together. That way you can have 2 separate work areas as you will, in effect, have 2 separate desks.

Man of Honour
Hmm very true. Something similar to the Secret Labs Marcus would be excellent, although if I got two of them I'm not entirely sure what unit I could fit between them for the corner part. The cable management and magnetic design looks exactly what I'm after and would make my life a lot easier.

Soldato
OP
The whole point of a corner desk is that you work into the corner. Its designed for ergonomics so that the deepest part of the desk is where you work, so that you have adequate room to support your wrists, have room for your mouse and monitors and other peripherals. They are not designed for 2 separate work areas. The idea is that they provide the same amount of desk area as a linear desk in a smaller linear footprint. It sounds like what the OP needs is a modular desk, with 2 rectangular desks and a corner unit to hold them together. That way you can have 2 separate work areas as you will, in effect, have 2 separate desks.
I think most corner desks are excessively deep at the corner though. That's my main gripe. I want to have my tower on one side, VR stuff and other part time peripherals to the other, and my monitors in the middle. So I just need a lot of space.

Associate
I've seen the Bekant but ultimately it's too small. I need the long side to be 1800mm and I need the short side to be at least 1600mm and have enough room to sit straight onto a second laptop/screen. The Bekant and most corner desks don't have enough space on the shorter 'leg' to have a separate work place set up. I'm constantly alternating between screens and workstations so I need that space. An L shape would be ideal, I have one now but the base is 3 pieces and doesn't fit the best together. I also need really decent cable management, I have 4 computers which all need power/networking etc. Not much to ask for I know! :cry:

I've got a very cheap Ikea corner desk, can't find it on the site, on the shorter leg I matched it up to a cheap Ikea table of the same depth and cut it to size I wanted (at 7quid a table, no biggy) and bought some Ikea legs, metal connecting straps to join the desks in my office and it looks pretty good, I went for 2000 x 1600, think it cost me ~50quid for the tops and probably about the same for the legs, I use part of the cut down table one side and part the other side as I needed the extra width for bigger drawers. It looks a lot like JohnG image, but is only 60 deep on the sides. The connecting straps keeps the three tables the same height and stuck together lovely, leaving me freedom with leg placement.

Was a good plan, though I got quite a surprise when I cut into the tables to discover they are mostly cardboard as they feel so solid, I suppose it's obvious really, my proper wood desks are a few hundred quid each if I was to buy them :D still works great though.

You could probably do similar with some Ikea trotten table tops, not sure how well I could cut a nice radiused curve or finish the edging in a neat way, on my desk the edging wasn't so important as it butted the other desktops, so some paint touch and black edging tape and you can't see it, that would only be around £100 though. two or three tables in an L would work though and wouldn't be bad to sit at in my opinion sized correctly.

Example trotten tables with some choppy choppy for the radius corner, it could always be a straight 45deg line rather than radiused curve.

table.png

I'm not DIY expert mind you so this might be a doddle to some, my corner was not quite a corner due to boxed off pipework in the very corner that the desk had to get around, so I had to get cutting anyway to fit a table in corner and so got brave :D part of the reason I stayed cheap, as I have no skills in this area.

jpauls link looks like a good place for custom bits as it has all the right edge bits etc.

In my other office I just have two 120x80 desks in an L shape rather than a specific corner and that gives me work and bench space for books, VR and console crap but only have these due to a office clearance and had them for the price of a pint, I didn't need drawers here, so it was fine and if I was going to sit and use it as a corner desk or screens on both sides one of the desks would need to be longer really by approx 80cm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom