DDR5 is here, first kits on sale in July

Don
ocuk and another retailer have the team group ddr5 4800mhz kits up, i've looked closly and the new modules use the same 288pins like ddr4, could we see a bios update on older boards that would allow ddr5 to work?

Absolutely not - completely different: dual channel per dimm, lower operating voltage (1.1v), and memory power is now regulated on dimm rather than on motherboard

https://www.rambus.com/blogs/get-ready-for-ddr5-dimm-chipsets

Associate
cause it's how ram gets rated for overclocking

Its a crap rating because the XMP profile on my ram is 3200 CL16, but it can do 4200 CL16.

Previously back on DDR3 / X58, no ram that I bought could run at its XMP settings.

XMP is a trick utilized on the worst ram chips to make them look more appealing, when as with current DDR4 you are better off getting any Samsung B Die or Micron E die and overclocking it yourself. Back with DDR3 everyone was looking for Elipda chips that could clock to 2400 CL9 and beyond at suicidal voltages. You need to look into what actual chips are on the ram as well as motherboard and IMC compatibility for overclocking ram, not at XMP settings.

Associate
Ballistix no one ran xmp on x58 because you overclocked with bclk, xmp is necessary to get higher performance beyond jedec standards and i would argue that most people are happy to just turn on xmp in bios and be done than take days to run all the permutations with frequency and timings to squeeze all the performance out off a ram kit

Associate
Ballistix no one ran xmp on x58 because you overclocked with bclk, xmp is necessary to get higher performance beyond jedec standards and i would argue that most people are happy to just turn on xmp in bios and be done than take days to run all the permutations with frequency and timings to squeeze all the performance out off a ram kit

That was for the CPU, you could still pick what frequency to run the ram at.

XMP is not necessary at all when you can get the exact same result and often even better from manually overclocking the ram, at best its just a shortcut.

If you by a kit that says 4000 MHz CL18, then its easy as selecting 4000 Mhz and inputting the timings and voltage (which still isn't guaranteed to work on your mobo / CPU). 'Pre overclocked' ram also carries a massive price premium that is rarely worth paying for over manual overclocking, and the performance gains are usually minuscule anyway.

As an example, 3200 Samsung B Die is always a better choice than 3600+ anything else because you can simply manually overclock it and get far better results.

Last edited:
Associate
I was mildly excited about advertised ECC feature in DDR5. Before anyone says it is a server only feature, ECC could be actually useful for memory overclocks. It could fix errors and detect unstable overclock without crashing.
But so far all images of DDR5 sticks show 8 or 16 memory chips.
You need 9 or 18 for proper ECC functionality to store checksum bit...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah first gen.... As always it's worth waiting for the market to saturate with DDR5 before jumping the gun.

I just upgraded my 3000MHZ 16GB Vengeance to 32GB 3600MHz Vengeance RGB Pro after 5 years on 16GB, maybe late to the party, but at £151 it was a worthwhile upgrade :cool:

Permabanned
"Corsair DIY Marketing Director, George Makris recently confirmed in a recent video that DDR5 memory could "conceivably could run much hotter than DDR4" due to voltage regulation being moved to the memory modules from the motherboard. This was reiterated by Corsair Memory Product Manager, Matt Woithe, who notes that they are prepared to handle this increased heat in Corsair DDR5 modules using their Dual-path Heat Xchange (DHX) technology. The next generation of memory also mandates the inclusion of on-die EEC which while not confirmed by Corsair will also add to the power budget of the modules. Corsair is expecting to release their first DDR5 memory modules towards the end of this year which will coincide with the launch of Intel's 12th Generation Alder Lake processors. AMD fans will need to wait until 2022 with the launch of Zen 4 to take advantage of the new DDR5 memory modules."

Corsair Postulates That DDR5 Memory Runs Hotter

Permabanned
DDR5-6000 :)

ADATA Announces XPG LANCER DDR5 Memory - Up to 6000 MT/s of RGB Goodness | TechPowerUp

DDR5-6600 :)

G.SKILL announces DDR5-6600 CL36 Trident Z5 overclocked memory - VideoCardz.com

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 leak, Alongside Details of Kingston's DDR5 Modules | TechPowerUp

"We've already seen some official and some leaks of various DDR5 modules and now Corsair's Dominator Platinum RGB modules have leaked. Alongside the pretty pictures, we also now know that these will be 5200 MHz/MT/s modules with a timing of 38-38-38-84 and that they'll require 1.25 V at these settings. Corsair has carried over its Capellix LEDs and iCue support, although this was pretty much expected.

Details of three sets of DDR5 memory from Kingston have also leaked and it looks like the company will have at least three main SKUs. What we're looking at is the ValueRam series with bog standard JEDEC spec at 4800 MHz with a CAS latency of 40, the Fury Beast which will feature the same clocks, but improved an CAS latency of 38 and finally a higher clocked Fury Beast SKU at 5200 MHz which a CAS latency of 40. All three SKUs will come in single 16 GB modules or 32 GB kits."

Associate
Yeah first gen.... As always it's worth waiting for the market to saturate with DDR5 before jumping the gun.

I just upgraded my 3000MHZ 16GB Vengeance to 32GB 3600MHz Vengeance RGB Pro after 5 years on 16GB, maybe late to the party, but at £151 it was a worthwhile upgrade :cool:

There has been some good deals on DDR4 recently and 32GB kits have never been lower.

Soldato
OP
FYI something I didn't know

DDR5 memory gets its power directly from the 5v rail on the PSU and not the motherboard. Therefore manufacturers are saying that the quality of your PSU can affect the stability of the memory and overclocks that you can achieve. ASUS says that even with ECC, DDR5 will cause system crashes with a PSU that doesn't feed good quality power to the DDR5

Soldato
FYI something I didn't know

DDR5 memory gets its power directly from the 5v rail on the PSU and not the motherboard. Therefore manufacturers are saying that the quality of your PSU can affect the stability of the memory and overclocks that you can achieve. ASUS says that even with ECC, DDR5 will cause system crashes with a PSU that doesn't feed good quality power to the DDR5

Part PSU quality and the RAM Voltage Reg ICs.

It certainly makes RAM overclocking different and will make for some eye wateringly expensive kits.

Back
Top Bottom