Spec me a winter jacket

Soldato
my Beta LT turned up today - i think i actually prefer this to the Beta AR. It's a little bit lighter, slimmer/better fit, and feels far less over the top whilst still clearly durable. For £150 less, I think for someone who isn't spending a week in the mountains it might be absolutely more than enough....

Now need to decide if i want to keep Beta LT and Atom LT, or the Fission SV.

I'm leaning towards the Beta LT/Atom LT combo, and then maybe add a fission later in the year once the temps really drop, if i feel it necessary.

Last edited:
Associate
I used it last Winter, if you can call it that in the UK. Not used it yet as its not cold enough, but I found it fine last winter. I personally find the padding ok, and because it’s lightweight I can easily where it in cold temps or when it’s slightly warmer over the winter months. Quality of it seems good, but again I have only warn it for one season so far.

Got a decent amount of pockets as well.

It’s easily the best coat I have bought.

I think if you got the padded one, you would be quite surprised how adaptable it is to cold temps or wearing when it’s a slightly warmer winter.

As said above it may not be there best coat for really extreme cold, but I think it’s decent enough, I found it fine when we had that short cold snap last winter, For UK winter I feel it’s perfect.

As I originally said though make sure you check the measurements as they come up big, more so in the arm length, I’m 6ft tall / slim and have long arms and the small is perfect, actually I think the Swedish are known for long arms, that’s why there coats arm length is longer.

Thanks for the feedback, I went with the padded version, size medium. I bought it form Cotswolds so I was able to try it on before buying. Just need some cold weather to test it out

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback, I went with the padded version, size medium. I bought it form Cotswolds so I was able to try it on before buying. Just need some cold weather to test it out

Nice, let us know how you find it. I have the size small, Im quite slim, but normally get medium in most things, but these come up quite big especially in the arm length, I love the arm length in these though, often so many coats arms come up short.

What colour did you get, I have the navy.

Associate
Nice, let us know how you find it. I have the size small, Im quite slim, but normally get medium in most things, but these come up quite big especially in the arm length, I love the arm length in these though, often so many coats arms come up short.

What colour did you get, I have the navy.
I went for the deep forest green, although it is all one shade of green, unlike the images on their website

Soldato
Rab VR Summit. Amazing jacket! One of my favourites. Very light and warm given how thin it is. I have quite the connection of jackets but this one is my go to, brilliant when it’s only slightly cold as well as when it’s quite windy/cold. The usage window is huge where as my big sleeping bag jackets help you get toasty but it has to be really cold for them to be bearable otherwise you just sweat like a pig. I’d prefer it without a hood but it sits nice and flat so it isn’t very noticeable and it does come in handy when it rains or it is really windy. I also think it’s extremely well priced, I’d have been happy paying £200-£250.

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/clothing/jackets/rab-mens-vr-summit-jacket-ink__40602

Soldato
I have done some research and I just realised that Mountain Equipment is actually British !!
my best jackets are by them, so I'm very pleased I'm supporting the British company ! :)
That’s nice to know. I’ve got one of their goretex jackets and it is excellent. It’s a little noisy when you move but functionally it’s really good.

Underboss
That’s nice to know. I’ve got one of their goretex jackets and it is excellent. It’s a little noisy when you move but functionally it’s really good.

yeah, my first ME is a GorTex Pro, fits liker a glove, so pleased i went to a good shop who tailored with me to find a perfect fit waterproof jacket :)

they are noisy because of the materials used as its a "hard shell"

oh yeah its called "Shivling"

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/shivling-jacket

Soldato
yeah, my first ME is a GorTex Pro, fits liker a glove, so pleased i went to a good shop who tailored with me to find a perfect fit waterproof jacket :)

they are noisy because of the materials used as its a "hard shell"

oh yeah its called "Shivling"

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/shivling-jacket
I have a Lhotse which looks very similar to yours, I don’t remember paying the current price though so I presume they’ve got more expensive, the logo is coming off mine so it’s a good few years old! Also got a Lightline down jacket which is like a sleeping bag - great for getting in freezing cold cars/vans, especially if you put it on 5-10 mins before you leave the house - wear it on anything other than a cold day and you’ll spend most of the time with it unzipped and covered in sweat patches :D again that’s quite a cheap jacket for what you get. I have a much more expensive paramo jacket that’s designed for mega cold spells and the lightline isn’t far off.

Soldato
I'm wearing a Triple Fat Goose I got off ebay. Pretty heavy bomber jacket style with a large oversize hood. I can get pics if anyones interested as I cannot find a name for it.

Soldato
Bought a Lands End winter coat from their sale outlet in Oakham, Rutland just before the pandemic for about £43 when it should have been £235. There was a 20% or 25% off coats promo during that time too. Thick, cosy, loads of pockets and a decent hood. I hate coats and jackets with small pockets or with no pockets at all. Same goes for trousers.

Soldato
Rab VR Summit. Amazing jacket! One of my favourites. Very light and warm given how thin it is. I have quite the connection of jackets but this one is my go to, brilliant when it’s only slightly cold as well as when it’s quite windy/cold. The usage window is huge where as my big sleeping bag jackets help you get toasty but it has to be really cold for them to be bearable otherwise you just sweat like a pig. I’d prefer it without a hood but it sits nice and flat so it isn’t very noticeable and it does come in handy when it rains or it is really windy. I also think it’s extremely well priced, I’d have been happy paying £200-£250.

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/clothing/jackets/rab-mens-vr-summit-jacket-ink__40602

that looks decent - might grab that.

Soldato
Update

Ordered the Rab VR Summit - £132. Love it - great fit, very light but super warm. Went out the other day with t shirt and jacket on and was perfect temp (fair enough not a freezing cold day) - but like it a lot. Hardly feels like wearing a jacket.

Also got Race revolution Silence Proshell Jacket - £109 - Nice jacket as well, potentially looks more waterproof/rain proof than the Rab, fit is good, if a little short on the body. Sounds a bit daft but I'm not a fan of "rustling" jackets noise wise. Feels a bit stiff the material, might loosen up over time.

Will probably keep the Rab and might keep the RR one as well. Not totally convince about it yet. Will decide in due course.

Soldato
My daughter wants a black nylon jacket costing about £200 by the company N___ F___.
Is it really worth it?
If she's not going to grow out of it, and it's a timeless design, then sure. I've got coats from a decade ago that I still wear
^^

Check re-sale too. If she wants it for a while and it retains its resale, better than spending 60 quid on something worth £0 at the end.

Back
Top Bottom