• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel demos XeSS super resolution -open-AI-AMD/Nvidia can use it

Caporegime
Funnily just installed riftbreaker today, stunning looking game. Tried FSR but not a fan, just over sharpens the image far too much and enhances artefacts in the image more than I would like, saying that don't really need FSR turned on anyway.

Here's hoping intels version is on par or better than dlss.

Soldato
Damn it, i thought we were suffering together. I'm bailing too then. :cry:

Suffering has to be worth enduring, missing a key ingredient here... :D

lisa-su.gif

Soldato
Hitman 3 also:

So Intel is using fixed function RT cores. Now its only AMD out in the rain trying to still do RT on its shaders, get with the program guys.

The hitman 3 demo there looked good, the XeSS upscale looks way better than the native 1080p its upscaling from (not just in terms of clarity and anti aliasing, but also in motion and the lack of motion artifacts)

Soldato
OP
So Intel is using fixed function RT cores. Now its only AMD out in the rain trying to still do RT on its shaders, get with the program guys.

The hitman 3 demo there looked good, the XeSS upscale looks way better than the native 1080p its upscaling from (not just in terms of clarity and anti aliasing, but also in motion and the lack of motion artifacts)

That isn't what I heard when watching some of the video.

Soldato
Around 4:30 in the video he starts talking about raytracing and says intel have specific RT hardware

he even shows the architecture diagram while speaking, there is 4 fixed function RT cores on each cluster (and he shows they can do bounding box, ray triangle and Ray traversal calculations) - so the top end model should have 64 RT cores

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not true while on RDNA 1 AMD could run ray tracing via shader cores on RDNA2 hardware based ray tracing accelerators are built in to each CU. In this diagram you can see where AMD have added the dedicated hardware (RA cores). The bottleneck for AMD RNDA2 GPUS's the 'RA' cores have to share the same memory pool as the regular shaders so it has to wait it's turn in the pipeline.

Soldato
OP
That's not true while on RDNA 1 AMD could run ray tracing via shader cores on RDNA2 hardware based ray tracing accelerators are built in to each CU. In this diagram you can see where AMD have added the dedicated hardware (RA cores). The bottleneck for AMD RNDA2 GPUS's the 'RA' cores have to share the same memory pool as the regular shaders so it has to wait it's turn in the pipeline.

And to add from what I heard from the Intel video their approach is very similar to AMD. The GPU can use the cores for Ray tracing and rasta rendering.

Soldato
OP
Around 4:30 in the video he starts talking about raytracing and says intel have specific RT hardware, at 5:20 he's talking about dedicated fixed function RT units

he even shows the architecture diagram while speaking, there is 4 fixed function RT cores on each cluster (and he shows they can do bounding box, ray triangle and Ray traversal calculations) - so the top end model should have 64 RT cores

Yes what I am saying is the Intel GPU doesn't only use the core for Ray tracing it can use them when no ray tracing is required.

The same as RDNA 2

Soldato
Yes what I am saying is the Intel GPU doesn't only use the core for Ray tracing it can use them when no ray tracing is required.

The same as RDNA 2

Aye? The Intel guy specifically said it's a fixed function unit, as in it can only do one thing, it can't do anything else. If it can do normal rendering then it's not fixed function it's just another shader core, I.e what rdna2 does

Soldato
OP
Aye? The Intel guy specifically said it's a fixed function unit, as in it can only do one thing, it can't do anything else. If it can do normal rendering then it's not fixed function it's just another shader core, I.e what rdna2 does

I would facepalm but I fear it would have to be so strong that I'd do myself an injury

Right OK let me watch it back then I guess I miss understood.

I only watch a little bit this morning before work.

Soldato
Now in 4K:

Imo this bodes very well for XeSS, since Riftbreaker lateral camera panning is one of the worst case scenarios for such tech. Very exciting!

Caporegime
When is it coming to riftbreaker? Don't really need the fps but curious to see how it performs. FSR looked awful because of the over sharpening.

Back
Top Bottom