Best Possible Image Quality Headset?

Associate
I've got an Oculus Quest 2 128gb. It's fine. It also seems very good value compared to the other headsets available. It is only ever used for PCVR content. Sim racing only.
I've read that the HP reverb G2 is better when it comes to image quality. Worth the extra money?

What headset, in your opinion, gives the best possible image quality.

Will there be a Quest 3 any time soon? Worth waiting?

Soldato
Sounds like purely for image quality it's the Varjo Aero by a country mile if you have the cash.

G2 is better for image quality than the Q2 but it's not like night and day imo and if you already have the quest 2 it's probably honestly not worth changing at this point.

Facebook connect on the 28th this month will hopefully give some clues as to Quest 2 plus/Quest 2 Pro/Quest 3 or whatever. Also a Pimax event tomorrow for something new... so definitely wait until; the end of the month before making any choices.

Associate
OP
Thank you Zeeflyboy.
Varjo Aero. Had a quick google. Hmm, interesting but very expensive. Just under 2000 euro (£1700-ish). I don't think I'm going to open my wallet that far:)

I do have a 3080ti FE so I thought to myself, 'If I'm willing to spend a grand on a gpu then shouldn't I be willing to splash out on a decent HMD to reap the benefits of such a gpu?'

But £1700 beer tokens for a Varj Aero is a bit too much for me.

What are the alternatives under a grand?

I'll do as you suggest. Wait for the Facebook Connect on the 28th.
Btw, what's a Pimax Event?
Edit: Oh, I see Pimax is a manufacturer.

No rush for me. It's an idle thought about upgrading.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you Zeeflyboy.
Varjo Aero. Had a quick google. Hmm, interesting but very expensive. Just under 2000 euro (£1700-ish). I don't think I'm going to open my wallet that far:)

I do have a 3080ti FE so I thought to myself, 'If I'm willing to spend a grand on a gpu then shouldn't I be willing to splash out on a decent HMD to reap the benefits of such a gpu?'

But £1700 beer tokens for a Varj Aero is a bit too much for me.

What are the alternatives under a grand?

I'll do as you suggest. Wait for the Facebook Connect on the 28th.
Btw, what's a Pimax Event?
Edit: Oh, I see Pimax is a manufacturer.

No rush for me. It's an idle thought about upgrading.
Aero is £1700 *plus* tax so £2040 plus controllers / base stations which brings cost to £2600.

Soldato
Technically for sim use you can get away with one base station and no controllers, but whether it’s 2.2k or 2.6k is kind of irrelevant really… I imagine if you are willing to spend over 2k on a blooming VR headset the few hundred difference isn’t a game changer.

I’m confident the sort of clarity the Aero brings will be common place at a much more reasonable price point within the next 1-2 years… 2022/23 will, I am sure, bring 2 and 4k uOLED displays, varifocal optics and wigig2 wireless options all in smaller form factors.

As I say for now I’d personally stick with what you have at least until the end of the month. Even with nothing new I’m not sure I could honestly say it’s worth an upgrade to the G2, I would wait and see what comes next at this point in all honesty. The G2 is undoubtedly a bit better in visuals and a lot better in audio, but significantly behind in most other features.

My personal inclination is to wait for the Valve Deckard (index 2) but valve being valve, who knows if it will ever see the light of day… or even if it does, when is an open question!

Last edited:
Associate
Technically for sim use you can get away with one base station and no controllers, but whether it’s 2.2k or 2.6k is kind of irrelevant really… I imagine if you are willing to spend over 2k on a blooming VR headset the few hundred difference isn’t a game changer.

I’m confident the sort of clarity the Aero brings will be common place at a much more reasonable price point within the next 1-2 years… 2022/23 will, I am sure, bring 2 and 4k uOLED displays, varifocal optics and wigig2 wireless options all in smaller form factors.

As I say for now I’d personally stick with what you have at least until the end of the month. Even with nothing new I’m not sure I could honestly say it’s worth an upgrade to the G2, I would wait and see what comes next at this point in all honesty. The G2 is undoubtedly a bit better in visuals and a lot better in audio, but significantly behind in most other features.

My personal inclination is to wait for the Valve Deckard (index 2) but valve being valve, who knows if it will ever see the light of day… or even if it does, when is an open question!
If they'd have priced it at £1500 or less inc vat I 100% would've bought one. But over £2000? Wow. I know what clarity looks like, i see it when i look at my 50" 4k monitor, and to have that in a headset would be great but not 2k+ great. I agree (and hope) 2022/23 will bring new hmd's that will not look bad next to an aero and at a cheaper price point. If the aero would've been wireless i would've been tempted.

Associate
Varjo Aero > HP G2 & Vive Pro 2

but if you are questioning the money aspect, really only the G2 makes sense for you now or wait for something like a Quest3 or Valve Deckard

all HMDs have compromises even at their varied price points unfortunately, but we seem to be getting closer... in terms of affordable mainstream consumer devices with high image quality, wireless, great FoV and tracking etc etc I think we are 5yrs away still.

Associate
OP
Well, I was surprised at some of the prices on these top end headsets. I hadn't realised they were so expensive. In excess of a grand is far too much money for me to outlay on such a vr device.
I'm just going to wait and see what new, less expensive headsets get released over the next few months.

Soldato
Well, I was surprised at some of the prices on these top end headsets. I hadn't realised they were so expensive. In excess of a grand is far too much money for me to outlay on such a vr device.
I'm just going to wait and see what new, less expensive headsets get released over the next few months.

Now you know why Facebook is dominating the VR market...

Back
Top Bottom