Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
I can't remember where I read it now but there should be a day one patch/update coming our way. 28th being the official release day would make me think that it'll be tomorrow. That is meant to improve the camera performance to reflect what reviews have been saying.

Soldato
Is the Pro worth the extra £250 over the standard?

Real World opinions being looked for... Honest ones too, not just defending a purchase.

From a few reviews it would seem the standard 6 is a great phone and people are on the fence as to whether the Pro is worth the extra cash.

All I see is
  • Telephoto lens and slightly better selfie camera (the other modes are identical)
  • 4GB extda memory (will this make any real noticeable difference for the majority of users?)
  • GG Victus on back vs GG6 - any real difference in real World?
  • Bigger screen with higher res and diff panel - again, is there a noticeable difference?
  • Bragging rights/that warm fuzzy feeling/OCD pleasing feeling from owning a "Pro" model.
Not slating the Pro but I can't really see the cost:benefit working out due to Google's ridiculously low pricing especially on the standard 6.

Soldato
First impressions so far:

It's really slippery! However fitted my Liquid Air case( which feels brilliant) and it's a nice fit in my hand. Many have said they felt it weighs a lot but coming from a Mate 20, honestly it feels about the same, and totally normal for me, so I am very happy with this.

It's my first time getting 2 android phones in a row and the set up was brilliant, fast and easy so i was really happy with that! It's also almost the exact same size as my Mate 20 so I could not be happier there either as I am very used to this phone size.
I've had absolutely no issues with the fingerprint, it's worked every time without hesitation.

Speakers are very loud compared to my mate 20, which is actually a bonus, only thing is I feel like they are slightly imbalanced.

Overall it's silky smooth, I'm not interested in selfie cams so i have not even tested that. During set up the phone heated up, but nothing more than i feel my mate 20 did.
Loaded up Disney + and watched End Game for 10 mins, wow this thing wipes the floor with my mate 20 both in sound and is visuals.

Silky smooth connection to my bluetooth earphones, WiFi and nothing to complain about initially.

Still to test the camera properly and and play about with a lot more features, but to start with, big thumbs up! :D

Soldato
@Richie if you're trying to justify getting the 6 then it looks like you've already made your mind up. Only you can decide if it's worth it for you :)
I only went for the pro because I made some money off crypto which paid for it. If it was coming out of my bank I would have the 6.

Soldato
First impressions so far:

It's really slippery! However fitted my Liquid Air case( which feels brilliant) and it's a nice fit in my hand. Many have said they felt it weighs a lot but coming from a Mate 20, honestly it feels about the same, and totally normal for me, so I am very happy with this.

It's my first time getting 2 android phones in a row and the set up was brilliant, fast and easy so i was really happy with that! It's also almost the exact same size as my Mate 20 so I could not be happier there either as I am very used to this phone size.
I've had absolutely no issues with the fingerprint, it's worked every time without hesitation.

Speakers are very loud compared to my mate 20, which is actually a bonus, only thing is I feel like they are slightly imbalanced.

Overall it's silky smooth, I'm not interested in selfie cams so i have not even tested that. During set up the phone heated up, but nothing more than i feel my mate 20 did.
Loaded up Disney + and watched End Game for 10 mins, wow this thing wipes the floor with my mate 20 both in sound and is visuals.

Silky smooth connection to my bluetooth earphones, WiFi and nothing to complain about initially.

Still to test the camera properly and and play about with a lot more features, but to start with, big thumbs up! :D
Great news, thanks. Also coming from a mate 20 pro. Is yours a 6 or 6 Pro?

Soldato
My Caseolgy just changed date from next week, to arrival on Friday if anyone is looking for a case thats in stock.

Thanks, I might try one. Not totally happy with the Spigen liquid air. Not a patch on my OnePlus sandstone case. It's too smooth and slippery. Prefer my cases to have that sandpaper feel.

Edit, ordered

Last edited:
Soldato
@Richie if you're trying to justify getting the 6 then it looks like you've already made your mind up. Only you can decide if it's worth it for you :)
I only went for the pro because I made some money off crypto which paid for it. If it was coming out of my bank I would have the 6.

It's a fair point.

Guess I was looking for some real people's views but I reckon it's too soon for that given its only been in the hands of normal people for a day or so :cry:

Soldato
Is the Pro worth the extra £250 over the standard?

Real World opinions being looked for... Honest ones too, not just defending a purchase.

From a few reviews it would seem the standard 6 is a great phone and people are on the fence as to whether the Pro is worth the extra cash.

All I see is
  • Telephoto lens and slightly better selfie camera (the other modes are identical)
  • 4GB extda memory (will this make any real noticeable difference for the majority of users?)
  • GG Victus on back vs GG6 - any real difference in real World?
  • Bigger screen with higher res and diff panel - again, is there a noticeable difference?
  • Bragging rights/that warm fuzzy feeling/OCD pleasing feeling from owning a "Pro" model.
Not slating the Pro but I can't really see the cost:benefit working out due to Google's ridiculously low pricing especially on the standard 6.

Quite a few sites concluded that the 6 is the better phone (accounting for price).

The zoom is the big selling feature on the Pro. The rest is just marginal improvements on what is already a good device.

Soldato
Quite a few sites concluded that the 6 is the better phone (accounting for price).

The zoom is the big selling feature on the Pro. The rest is just marginal improvements on what is already a good device.
I think that's pretty much it. There are other things that might be important to the user but personally zoom, small difference in Res, screen quality etc was not worth it from my pov.

Associate
Got my Pro 256GB boring black yesterday.

Fitted Spigen Neo Flex film to it before I went to work. I had to use both of them as even though I applied it with a Spigen case on as suggested in instructions, the protector stretched a little when rubbing out the water and went far enough south that the case pinched it upwards.
I still managed to do this to the second, tried to be as careful as I thought I needed to be, but the case doesn't contact it fortunately!
I'd suggest to anyone using the Spigen protector to not worry about the little bubbles that are left after installing. They will disappear after around 24 hours, I found 12 not to be enough. They were all gone on mine by this morning, and doesn't feel rubbery anymore.

Finger print unlock has worked every single time without fail so far, which is nice as my prints tend not to be read all that well on a lot of phones, especially when my hands get all dried and cracked. Oddly, the OP7Pro was amazing and worked every time except a short period after washing hands. Sensor on my Xperia 5II is fine too.

I actually really like the curved screen, it makes gestures from the sides feel nicer as there is a tactile feeling to the motion.

Android still has an issue with the very start of notification sounds being a little glitchy. Like if the 'media' volume is turned up high, the notification sound will almost sound distorted, but will sound fine if another comes through very soon after, or you preview the sound yourself in the sound picker.

Pixel launcher app labels are awful! They don't appear to be able to display in two lines, so you get stuff like "Amazon Sh..." "Discord-B..." "Firefox Nig..." "MyMcDona..." "PS Messag..."
This really might be the thing that pushes me to use a third party launcher, though have things improved with gestures and third party launchers on Android 12?

Associate
No delivery time and date update from Currys apart from morning despatch notification. No delivery notifications from DPD as well.. anyone else got any updates?

Back
Top Bottom