what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
What are you using to drive the K702's? They are low impedance but are very insensitive so need a fair bit of current to sound their best. If you can drive them properly then you've bought what are probably the best gaming headphones on the market.

Soldato
What are you using to drive the K702's? They are low impedance but are very insensitive so need a fair bit of current to sound their best. If you can drive them properly then you've bought what are probably the best gaming headphones on the market.

Errrr nothing yet, I'll take a suggestion.

Edit: just read a lot saying FiiO E10K is good.

EDIT 2:

They turned up today, I will definitely need a amp/dac whatever you call it, but the FiiO E10K is already on its way and should be here tomorrow.

That being said, although a bit quiet (because of lack of driver) and lack of base (which the driver also has a boost for) I can tell straight away that these are far far superior in sound quality to the AKG 371BT - which are definitely going back now.

Apaprently they get better after a break in period also, cant wait.

Last edited:
Soldato
Errrr nothing yet, I'll take a suggestion.

Edit: just read a lot saying FiiO E10K is good.

EDIT 2:

They turned up today, I will definitely need a amp/dac whatever you call it, but the FiiO E10K is already on its way and should be here tomorrow.

That being said, although a bit quiet (because of lack of driver) and lack of base (which the driver also has a boost for) I can tell straight away that these are far far superior in sound quality to the AKG 371BT - which are definitely going back now.

Apaprently they get better after a break in period also, cant wait.

The FiiO E10k is good for the money but it's a Stereo DAC & Amp which means you'll just be getting straight stereo instead of virtual surround in games.
What you need is something like the Creative SoundblasterX G6 which is an external USB sound card which will have all the bells and whistles needed for gaming. They are around £115 but can be had cheaper as B stock direct from Creative.

Soldato
The FiiO E10k is good for the money but it's a Stereo DAC & Amp which means you'll just be getting straight stereo instead of virtual surround in games.
What you need is something like the Creative SoundblasterX G6 which is an external USB sound card which will have all the bells and whistles needed for gaming. They are around £115 but can be had cheaper as B stock direct from Creative.

I'm just using my motherboard on board sound card so will that still make difference? I'm not sure I had virtual surround in the first place.

To be honest I'll try this first and maybe upgrade later as it's starting to become a lot more money than I had originally intended to spend already.

Soldato
If you're using the FiiO E10k you feed it using USB, which completely bypasses your motherboard sound circuitry. In order to utilise your motherboard sound you would need to either use an optical feed to the E10K, which it doesn't have, or line out audio fed to the E10k, again, something it doesn't do.

Link to B stock G6 - https://uk.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're using the FiiO E10k you feed it using USB, which completely bypasses your motherboard sound circuitry. In order to utilise your motherboard sound you would need to either use an optical feed to the E10K, which it doesn't have, or line out audio fed to the E10k, again, something it doesn't do.

Link to B stock G6 - https://uk.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock

Ok thanks.

I think what I am trying to say is that my motherboard sound eg what I currently have, doesn't have 7.1 anyway. It may be able to but pretty certain it is just putting out stereo at the moment.

So I won't be getting a worse experience than I'm already used to.

But that part you linked is only about £15 more and no doubt better having the 7.1. I might see if I can refund this thing through Amazon, then and get that instead.

Thank you for your help.

Soldato
The bonus is that the G6 is also just as good as the E10K at stereo and, so you have a pretty decent stab at both worlds with the G6

Ok yeah thanks, Amazon accepted my refund on that E10K, so the G6 is in the post should be here Monday.

I'll let you know the results, I would expect it to significantly improve my PUBG performance for nearly £200 all in.

haha, yeah right.....

If it is as good or better than my Sony bluetooth headphones then I will be pleased.

Soldato
Ok got the SBX G6 running with the AKG K702.

I have discovered one of my ears is slightly blocked, I thought they were quieter on one side and did a lot of googling etc until I came accross one post saying to swap them around on year head, which I did and funnily enough they were still louder in the same ear, EG NOT the headphones lol...

I like them, they are really good actually, I will say there is piercingly loud treble that I am not used to, smashing a window in PUBG and that high pitched sound goes straight down your spine. I might have to look into that.

Also another thing about lag on bluetooth. Well I dont notice any difference in latency and delay between these one and my Sony bluetooth ones, at all. I am wondering if that was maybe a thing, but isnt anymore?

So yes, pleased, I will say though, my old Sony MDR XB650 were still bloody good, they are now discontinued because they break, but the next model on can be had for about £60, which I think considering the marginal improvement, plus convenience of not having a wire over bluetooth....... honestly not sure the price tag of over £200 all in for this wired setup is worth it, they are better yes, £140+ quid better..... dunno. It's done now though.

Soldato
The basic sound isn't going to change massively from your old set but once you've got your ears sorted you should start hearing things you won't have picked up with your old pair, the K702's really are detail monsters!

Soldato
hmmmm blocked ear aside, I think I have an issue.

On the SBX G6 settings under playback, in the test section.

Front left, clearly plays from the left side and only left side, visa versa for the right.

However, side left/right, and rear left/right seems to play about the same from both sides. That isn't correct is it?

I have it set to 7.1 surround, on headphones. If I set it to stereo, the sound clearly does only play from only one side respectively in the test.

I dont think its just the test either, I am having a really hard time determining directions in game.

I am going to go back and try just stereo only to see if I can tell a difference.

Anything I am doing wrong?

EDIT: Yes tested in just Stereo mode and direction sound is fine and working, seems to be something with the 7.1 surround.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I normally have it on stereo but testing the virtual 7.1 can hear the rear/sides from both L+R but it still sounds like they are on their respective sides when wearing the headphones normally so maybe your blocked ear is hindering the effect?

Associate
Wow I had a pair like this many years ago. Don't know why you want to use these now but hey ho.

I find this type of headphone comfy to use especially long hours as i find over-ear/on-ear headphones uncomfortable; like it feels like a vice is slowly clamping my head.

Associate
Just got my first ever IEM's, Moondrop Aria's for £62, call me impressed, I think they sound excellent, very interested in trying more IEM's in the future (Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk maybe?). I also have Sennheiser 560S with Topping DX3Pro+ for my gaming PC and AirPod Pro's for gym duties.

Back
Top Bottom