• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 10850k still a relevant CPU?

Soldato
Hey guys,

looking at Alder Lake coming up soon..will the 10850k still be a capable CPU for a few years to come? Or is upgrading on the cards?

Soldato
What's the use?
If gaming doubt Alder Lake really brings anything new to that.
Except problems from overhyped big.little kludge:
Intel has confirmed in the document that Alder Lake, which is supposed to compete with the best CPUs for gaming, will have compatibility issues with DRM solutions unless the provider issues a special update for the protection in question.
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/intel-alder-lake-cpus-may-not-work-with-older-games

And for work uses getting to use Intel's feature over Ryzens, AVX-512, needs disabling little cores in BIOS, because otherwise there would conflict of differing ISAs.

Soldato
10850K for gaming is an absolute beast. Gonna take Zen4 or better to start showing a significant difference imo, actually more like 2 jumps, so 2024ish.

Soldato
OP
Well..wow, didn’t realise it was that good a chip tbh..I knew it was capable, but damn!

thanks guys, will keep an eye on things over the next several years then.

Soldato
It has higher numbers than a 10700K. It depends if the number 10700K holds any particular significance to you :D

Keep it until it ceases to perform well. The latest consoles still have 8 cores, so presumably 10 is plenty for most things.

Soldato
Hey guys,

looking at Alder Lake coming up soon..will the 10850k still be a capable CPU for a few years to come? Or is upgrading on the cards?

At 4k, yes it's totally relevant, as we'll still be GPU bound until the RTX 4090 at least, probably until the 5000 series.

You'd only see an improvement moving to a fast CPU if playing at very low, ancient resolutions such as 1080P on a 360Hz monitor.

Permabanned
I was SOOOOOOOOOO close to pulling the plug on the 12900k untill I thought about how well my 10900k still holds up.

Think I might get Christmas out the way and if Im still feeling it...we shall see.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I think I will hold on. Thanks for all the input guys!

My birthday is in May so will see how things are around there, regarding my current CPU, stock of AlderLake and pricing.

Back
Top Bottom