• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I see it now, sweet, the only bummer is the limited USB ports at the back but no huge deal, my monitor has a USB 3 hub built in and the mouse/kb can be connected to the USB 2. Guigabyte seem to be be super generous with USB ports lol, even my Z170X has loads. Asus, not so much but this is fine.

Now that I'm settled on the board, ordering away. This will be me sorted for the next 6 years hopefully.

I've changed the Kraken to the Arctic Freezer II as like the discreetness of that more and already have Arctic fans which I am rather fond of.

Edit*
And AS5 changed to Grizzly!

Let the delivery commence!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You have to enable PBO to get the CPU to draw more than 142W under worst case scenario of all core load.

Which I do have enabled. PL2 is pretty much the same thing anyway, that 240w for the 12900k is a worst case scenario - its certainly not going to do that in gaming, none of my overclock AMD or Intel CPUs have ever pulled over 130w in gaming regardless of the overclock I have applied to them. If you know of a very demanding game I will be happy to give it a shot on my 5950x but yeah, never seen over 130w on this thing in games and same goes for my overclocked Intel chips

Associate
So ran on windows 11 before AMD patch fixes ? Almost feels like it was planned :rolleyes:
there was only one slide comparing to AMD, games? Interesting how it will turn up after applying fixes. After all, the L3 bug would be affecting gaming perf a lot

I'm sure many reviewers will use the patched windows11. After 11900K got scathing reviews at launch, you think Intel would intentionally gear up for a repeat of that?

... you know, they might be... Why else set release and review embargo date to be the same? People will preorder, scared of chip shortage and FOMO

Associate
Which I do have enabled. PL2 is pretty much the same thing anyway, that 240w for the 12900k is a worst case scenario - its certainly not going to do that in gaming, none of my overclock AMD or Intel CPUs have ever pulled over 130w in gaming regardless of the overclock I have applied to them. If you know of a very demanding game I will be happy to give it a shot on my 5950x but yeah, never seen over 130w on this thing in games and same goes for my overclocked Intel chips
Where the benches all run at stock, if so isn't PBO disabled so the 5950X would have only been running 142W? Genuinely unsure...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
there was only one slide comparing to AMD, games? Interesting how it will turn up after applying fixes. After all, the L3 bug would be affecting gaming perf a lot

I'm sure many reviewers will use the patched windows11. After 11900K got scathing reviews at launch, you think Intel would intentionally gear up for a repeat of that?

... you know, they might be... Why else set release and review embargo date to be the same? People will preorder, scared of chip shortage and FOMO

Surely for us UK peeps this is a non issue. We have DSR to return for full refund. Granted this kind of thing isn't available to everyone around the world though.

Caporegime
@TrixP10 read it..

Usual shenanigans with Intel's slides and yes their gaming slide was done with Ryzen crippling pre fix Windows 11, add to that half the games are also the same mass AI simulation type games that don't really apply to the CPU in a traditional 'Gaming' sense, why did they pad the slide out with 3 or 4 of those? I'm not saying they are not relevant but to use up half your slide space for that one questionable aspect?

Semi also claim the 5900X is the better price comparison than the 5950X, that is true but they also say the 5900X is a faster gaming CPU, i'm not sure that is true to be fair. It might be in some situations as it has less cores with the same 64MB L3 cache so there is less ram victimisation of code? maybe, the 5800X can in very specific circumstance be a little faster than the 5900X and 5950X in games because it only has the one CCD.

I'll wait for proper reviews, i'm of the mind that ADL is better at gaming than Rocket Lake, i'm just not sure how much better, it all smells a little bit like the Rocket Lake launch, a lot of pre NDA hype and slides from Intel to show how much better it is than Ryzen, which then turned out to be utterly contrived nonsense.

Maybe not this time, lets see. I'll be the first to congratulate Intel if it is as good as they say it is :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
Well, sod it.

Core i9-12900K 3.20GHz
ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme Glacier
2x Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB

Ordered.

Because why not, I never enjoyed working with my 5950x and gigabyte aorus extreme mobo so will rip those out the case and sling them up for sale soon.

Soldato
This bit from the SemiAccurate article about the smaller cores was interesting:
"If you ask Intel they will say that the four little cores take up the area of one big one"

Do we have confirmation if this is true yet?

If you look at this (indicative) diagram, it seems to suggest that 4 small cores takes approximately the same amount of die space as 1 large 1.

Link:
https://images.idgesg.net/images/ar...agram-100899804-large.jpg?auto=webp&auto=webp

Last edited:
Associate
@TrixP10 read it..

Usual shenanigans with Intel's slides and yes their gaming slide was done with Ryzen crippling pre fix Windows 11, add to that half the games are also the same mass AI simulation type games that don't really apply to the CPU in a traditional 'Gaming' sense, why did they pad the slide out with 3 or 4 of those? I'm not saying they are not relevant but to use up half your slide space for that one questionable aspect?

Semi also claim the 5900X is the better price comparison than the 5950X, that is true but they also say the 5900X is a faster gaming CPU, i'm not sure that is true to be fair. It might be in some situations as it has less cores with the same 64MB L3 cache so there is less ram victimisation of code? maybe, the 5800X can in very specific circumstance be a little faster than the 5900X and 5950X in games because it only has the one CCD.

I'll wait for proper reviews, i'm of the mind that ADL is better at gaming than Rocket Lake, i'm just not sure how much better, it all smells a little bit like the Rocket Lake launch, a lot of pre NDA hype and slides from Intel to show how much better it is than Ryzen, which then turned out to be utterly contrived nonsense.

Maybe not this time, lets see. I'll be the first to congratulate Intel if it is as good as they say it is :)
I agree with you on that. I'm very wary of this late NDA stuff. Something ain't right. Charlie is very opinionated for sure but at least he has a better understanding of tech than some posters on here.

Soldato
Looks like overclocking will be quite involved with P and E cores both tuneable and even per core overclocks along with BCLK and not to mention the new DDR5 and memory controller.

Back
Top Bottom