Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
I sold my thungela on market open. Thought people would be tempted to sell after that move and the train issue still hanging over their heads.

Tempted to buy back in again but I feel more may dump now.

Moved it all into crypto for now. I have had my eye on a few coins I've been wanting to get for ages

Caporegime
Was just about to complain to PS :cry:

I sold on market open set my sell order last night. Kistos has went down a bit too. These stocks are volatile. It rewards the patient and those with investing emotional intelligence.

Did you sell after the 7% gain or were you hoping for more? It is a decent longer term hold but I think cop26 has also affected buyer sentiment.

They have a juicy dividend coming over the next few months so worth holding onto last prediction was it would be circa 27%. Probably less now with the train issues but still juicy. 30% of free cash flow was promised as dividend. And it worked out as 27% of the market cap.

Tempted to put into kistos but I already hold a large bag of that I've had for a while now so back into crypto.

I do have 4-5 other stocks I'm buying. But not disclosing as people can do their own research. They are in renewables sector.

Soldato
Bought some SNAP yesterday probably against my better judgment but can see them having a good few months ahead with Christmas coming up.

first group up nicely over a 100 since pre covid, dads got loads in there just need to convince him to sell now.

Soldato
First Group trying it on....

They sold Greyhound in America plus some other subsidiaries - originally said they would offer a special dividend of around 30p a share back to punters...

Now changed that to a Tender offer of 105p a share to buy back.....9.2% premium on Fridays price...

This morning it's trading at 101p - No chance I'm selling at 105...

They've reduced the debt from nearly £100 million down to "in the range of £10-20m."

Long term hold for me. Original buy price was 45.7p for me last September.

Soldato
So worth holding on to?

For me yes - Debt reduction has been massive with the sale of the US stuff. Focus on UK/europe is a better option for them

Almost no debt on the balance sheet now. P/E is around 13 at the moment.

It's my only single company stock I hold in my SIPP. Everything else is EFT/Trusts/Funds.

Transport operator FirstGroup opened a tender offer for shares at 105 pence per share, to return up to GBP500 million to shareholders. FirstGroup shares were up 4.8% at 100.72p early Wednesday. Importantly, FirstGroup said activist shareholder Coast Capital Management has agreed to support the plan and tender all its shares. The buyback comes after FirstGroup sold its First Student and First Transit businesses in the US to EQT Infrastructure for USD3.12 billion earlier this year. Additionally, last week FirstGroup said it had sold its US coach business Greyhound Lines to a subsidiary of FlixMobility. This completed the company's refocus back on the UK.

Soldato
I sold on market open set my sell order last night. Kistos has went down a bit too. These stocks are volatile. It rewards the patient and those with investing emotional intelligence.

Did you sell after the 7% gain or were you hoping for more? It is a decent longer term hold but I think cop26 has also affected buyer sentiment.

They have a juicy dividend coming over the next few months so worth holding onto last prediction was it would be circa 27%. Probably less now with the train issues but still juicy. 30% of free cash flow was promised as dividend. And it worked out as 27% of the market cap.

Tempted to put into kistos but I already hold a large bag of that I've had for a while now so back into crypto.

I do have 4-5 other stocks I'm buying. But not disclosing as people can do their own research. They are in renewables sector.
Haven't invested anything I am precious about losing. I would have sold yesterday but got distracted setting up my new home server :o

Soldato
First Group trying it on....

They sold Greyhound in America plus some other subsidiaries - originally said they would offer a special dividend of around 30p a share back to punters...

Now changed that to a Tender offer of 105p a share to buy back.....9.2% premium on Fridays price...

This morning it's trading at 101p - No chance I'm selling at 105...

They've reduced the debt from nearly £100 million down to "in the range of £10-20m."

Long term hold for me. Original buy price was 45.7p for me last September.

Ahh that's what's done it, I haven't been looking at the news side of things as I'm out of the country at the mo, however I did notice that I'd jumped over the 10% mark

Soldato
Not sure what to do with Corsair. They're my only red on T212, down 39% (1% Forex) at the time of writing, but all because of matters out of their hands like shipping and chip supply issues. Otherwise they're still on for growth (just down from expected) and demand is huge.

Tempted to double down but I'm always cautious of that approach, even though I think it still has potential to return. Would equally be happy to mid-long term hold until it returns to prior levels, equally would be happy to bin it and make my portfolio neater :D.

Caporegime
Down...apparently :D

This is what has me baffled, not the posting of picks but some of the hype and (seemingly misplaced) confidence that comes with them - this was the recent update:

I sold on market open set my sell order last night.[...]

But earlier in the month, it was supposed to be a great pick on the basis (in part) of the previous recommendation (which was a tip from a friend) having gone up a bit:

Well last time I posted a recommendation on here it has went from £2.40 to above £3.30 in only just over a month. KISTOS for reference.

My next recommendation is TGA (Thungela Resources). It's a coal mining company.
[...]
Their cashflow situation today their stock should be valued at closer to £6-£9 rather than the £4.62 it currently sits at. This stock is stupidly undervalued. as always go away and DYOR and I think you will find that it concurs with my info that the stock is stupidly undervalued and should be £6+ by the end of the year.

This one has gone from the £4.62 quoted there (near it's all-time high) to around £3.55 now.

These things are inherently volatile, you know before you get into them that they're going to bounce around a bit and sure enough this one did and the poster bailed. Yet reading the previous post he was full of confidence about it.

This isn't to knock the posting of stocks that might be of interest etc.. but just a good illustration to both be aware that these things are risky + to not get suckered into the hype. Encouraging others to look at particularly risky investments like this should come with a bit of uncertainty and a lot of caution not hype and overly confident predictions of huge returns.

There is always going to be some attractive narrative about how some small-cap stock or other is full of potential, if anyone has browsed online forums dedicated to this stuff for a few years they'll have seen the same thing time and time again - people get excited over some small-cap or other and inevitably some people get suckered into silly punts with a significant % of their portfolio.
I've seen it happen plenty of times which is why it is worth calling out.

Also worth remembering that, though it's been cleaned up a bit these days, the AIM market has attracted quite a few sharks in the past - there were a few dozen companies on that market in the 00s (linked to one particularly shady individual) that were almost guaranteed to fail. I don't think things are that blatant these days and I'm certainly not saying the companies mentioned here are like those (the first one recommended, as I said before, looks like it has a solid management team in place).

My main point is that the hype you see with this stuff is often BS, there are some interesting things on there both on AIM + small-cap companies on the main market (as in this case) but no they're not likely seriously undervalued in most cases, the rest of the market aren't all total dunces and any given hot tip you might see online that ABC company is due to do X, Y, or Z and bring in $$$s might well pan out nicely but often carries a fair bit or risk with it too thus the company isn't at the higher price you think it ought to be worth etc.. and that is perhaps a reflection of the risk involved.

Caporegime
This is what has me baffled, not the posting of picks but some of the hype and (seemingly misplaced) confidence that comes with them - this was the recent update:

But earlier in the month, it was supposed to be a great pick on the basis (in part) of the previous recommendation (which was a tip from a friend) having gone up a bit:

This one has gone from the £4.62 quoted there (near it's all-time high) to around £3.55 now.

These things are inherently volatile, you know before you get into them that they're going to bounce around a bit and sure enough this one did and the poster bailed. Yet reading the previous post he was full of confidence about it.

This isn't to knock the posting of stocks that might be of interest etc.. but just a good illustration to both be aware that these things are risky + to not get suckered into the hype. Encouraging others to look at particularly risky investments like this should come with a bit of uncertainty and a lot of caution not hype and overly confident predictions of huge returns.

There is always going to be some attractive narrative about how some small-cap stock or other is full of potential, if anyone has browsed online forums dedicated to this stuff for a few years they'll have seen the same thing time and time again - people get excited over some small-cap or other and inevitably some people get suckered into silly punts with a significant % of their portfolio.
I've seen it happen plenty of times which is why it is worth calling out.

Also worth remembering that, though it's been cleaned up a bit these days, the AIM market has attracted quite a few sharks in the past - there were a few dozen companies on that market in the 00s (linked to one particularly shady individual) that were almost guaranteed to fail. I don't think things are that blatant these days and I'm certainly not saying the companies mentioned here are like those (the first one recommended, as I said before, looks like it has a solid management team in place).

My main point is that the hype you see with this stuff is often BS, there are some interesting things on there both on AIM + small-cap companies on the main market (as in this case) but no they're not likely seriously undervalued in most cases, the rest of the market aren't all total dunces and any given hot tip you might see online that ABC company is due to do X, Y, or Z and bring in $$$s might well pan out nicely but often carries a fair bit or risk with it too thus the company isn't at the higher price you think it ought to be worth etc.. and that is perhaps a reflection of the risk involved.

I made roughly 21% on it. Got into it a while back. Would have been a lot more if it wasn't for the supply chain issues. Mongolia China border is backed up and the government's trains are screwing them over. I was tempted to hold but decided to take a guaranteed win of 21%.

As soon as the trains are fixed it will be worth looking at again.

I was given another tip which has went 25% today alone and 261% in the last week. Selling that on market open tomorrow.

Like I said before this guy picks constant winners but anything can happen like people stealing your cables and trains not working properly which is what has made people dump the stock myself included as the gains elsewhere in the mean time are looking more attractive like the above.

Soldato
Looking for some advice, see if I'm missing something

I've probably got too much money in current account, doing nothing. With home ownership in mind within the next 5 years and probably after something with no risk, is Premium Bonds the best/only thing to go with? I'm already maxing out my LISA every year, have a LS100 Vanguard fund for longer term investment and building up a 3-6 month emergency fund.

Soldato

I've probably got too much money in current account, doing nothing. With home ownership in mind within the next 5 years and probably after something with no risk, is Premium Bonds the best/only thing to go with? I'm already maxing out my LISA every year, have a LS100 Vanguard fund for longer term investment and building up a 3-6 month emergency fund.
Premium Bond returns are fairly rubbish.

I'd be tempted to stick it in a Vanguard LS fund for 5 years - yeah there's risk, but chances are the return will be far greater.

Soldato

Are you using your ISA allowance alongside your LISA?

If not, use that as well. Vanguard funds are fine for basic fire and forget. Cheap and simple to use their platform. If more money then consider a spread of funds/eft on another platform (AJ Bell or something like that)

Emergency Fund then all available tax "breaks" (ISA, LISA, Pension etc)

Premium Bonds are next to useless for long term "investment" - In most cases, "returns/wins" are less than inflation.

Soldato
Are you using your ISA allowance alongside your LISA?

If not, use that as well. Vanguard funds are fine for basic fire and forget. Cheap and simple to use their platform. If more money then consider a spread of funds/eft on another platform (AJ Bell or something like that)

Emergency Fund then all available tax "breaks" (ISA, LISA, Pension etc)

Premium Bonds are next to useless for long term "investment" - In most cases, "returns/wins" are less than inflation.

As mentioned, I put a S&S ISA payment into my LS100 every month, normally around £250 or so, and have had going since January (I put in a lump sum before the monthly payments). I could dump a lump sum into another fund, but again, wouldn't want it there for any more than 5 years, and my knowledge right now is straight up not great and knowing where to put it.

Should also add with regards to Premium Bonds that my gran opened an after 32 years ago, got hold of ownership last week to see a big £10 in the account. Big wins right.

Soldato
As mentioned, I put a S&S ISA payment into my LS100 every month, normally around £250 or so, and have had going since January (I put in a lump sum before the monthly payments). I could dump a lump sum into another fund, but again, wouldn't want it there for any more than 5 years, and my knowledge right now is straight up not great and knowing where to put it.

Should also add with regards to Premium Bonds that my gran opened an after 32 years ago, got hold of ownership last week to see a big £10 in the account. Big wins right.
I'd avoid Prem Bonds - it's really not worth it, unless you like that buzz each month that you *could* have won a million (but won't).

We've put the full amount in for me/my wife (as we've maxes out ISAs) and get about £50-£100 back a month it's rubbish.

If you have spare ISA allowance, just stick it all in that in a low-medium risk fund. You should double your money in 5 years.

Caporegime
I made roughly 21% on it. Got into it a while back. Would have been a lot more if it wasn't for the supply chain issues. Mongolia China border is backed up and the government's trains are screwing them over. I was tempted to hold but decided to take a guaranteed win of 21%.

As soon as the trains are fixed it will be worth looking at again.

I was given another tip which has went 25% today alone and 261% in the last week. Selling that on market open tomorrow.

Like I said before this guy picks constant winners but anything can happen like people stealing your cables and trains not working properly which is what has made people dump the stock myself included as the gains elsewhere in the mean time are looking more attractive like the above.

How much you made on it isn't really relevant to the point, the point was about risk etc.. and the issues with how tips like these are often presented - from the time you actually posted about it to now it was a big loss, whether you (retrospectively) state you'd actually invested far earlier and so have now somehow dodged that loss doesn't add anything, in fact, that's perhaps another issue with people posting these sort of tips... hyping up positons they're already in and have been for some time.

Only now you mention you were apparently invested in that stock for some time already and so it didn't matter to you in the end (I don't know if that's true or just some perceived need on your part to save face or something, if the latter it's rather unnecessary as stocks go up and down all the time, some investments will be losses) but the "tip" you gave was near the recent high and the stock subsequently fell which is rather more relevant as far as commentary on what has been posted is concerned (not whether you personally managed to make money behind the scenes).

Soldato
How much you made on it isn't really relevant to the point, the point was about risk etc.. and the issues with how tips like these are often presented - from the time you actually posted about it to now it was a big loss, whether you (retrospectively) state you'd actually invested far earlier and so have now somehow dodged that loss doesn't add anything, in fact, that's perhaps another issue with people posting these sort of tips... hyping up positons they're already in and have been for some time.

Only now you mention you were apparently invested in that stock for some time already and so it didn't matter to you in the end (I don't know if that's true or just some perceived need on your part to save face or something, if the latter it's rather unnecessary as stocks go up and down all the time, some investments will be losses) but the "tip" you gave was near the recent high and the stock subsequently fell which is rather more relevant as far as commentary on what has been posted is concerned (not whether you personally managed to make money behind the scenes).

I'm sure a week ago the "tip" was a 1-2 year hold (should double inside 3 months or something was quoted.)....but sold out 3 days after posting his "tip" - making a profit again without any loss. Amazing, another winner for PS, never had a looser yet in this thread. :p:p

Back
Top Bottom