• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone pre ordered 12600k and z690 board yet?

Soldato
Hello all,

I recently built my gaming pc and thinking about returning my 10400f and b560 chipset, and ordering the 12600kf with a DDR4 z690 board, would cost me £150 to make the jump.

Anyone else thinking of pre ordering?

Soldato
Everything on that z690 platform seems to be expensive…

not sure the additional cost justify whatever performance gain over 11th gen or 10th gen tbh.

Soldato
Never pre-order is my motto. Let others be the beta testers :)

Probably upgrade next year once the BIOS in the boards have had the "usual" several updates.
Still happy with my gen 8 I7-8700K running happily at 4.9 all cores at the moment.

Also be moving to windows 11 at the same point. Again I'll be waiting probably another 6 months to make sure Win11 and all the necessary drivers are running well.

Hopefully prices may even come down a bit, once the early adopters pay the premium up front price/s.

Associate
I'm likely going to get a 12700K or F, I've got some decent ddr4 already, but won't buy at this point.

I'll probably buy in around the end of November, unless the launch is a er... show of sorts.
As per above I also want to know the power of DDR5, nobodies really sure how that's going to play out either.

Soldato
What do people think about the higher core / thread count over the 11900k though?
The full fat core isn’t higher in numbers. The low fat cores meant to be more efficient and used for certain productivity tasks.

As far as gaming is concerned, the full fat faster cores are being leveraged and they are pretty much the same architecture as 11th gen just on a node shrink.

Associate
The full fat core isn’t higher in numbers. The low fat cores meant to be more efficient and used for certain productivity tasks.

As far as gaming is concerned, the full fat faster cores are being leveraged and they are pretty much the same architecture as 11th gen just on a node shrink.

Is 12900k going to much better than 11900k at multithread processing though, or no? I need to read up more on the big and little cores thing I think.

We will no doubt get a 12700KF and 12600KF and a cheaper Z690 TUF and Prime in for work so I can have a play around (oh and sell of coarse).

For myself I'm holding off, I want to see how Zen 3 with added Vcache measures up in Q1 before I rip out a perfectly good X570.

Soldato
Is 12900k going to much better than 11900k at multithread processing though, or no? I need to read up more on the big and little cores thing I think.

The short answer is YES, big increase in MT performance - I believe on average its 50% faster but can be up to 80% depending on the task

Additionally it has decent headroom for gaining more MT performance with an overclock, you can expect an additional 20% to 30% MT performance with a good overclock and good cooling - at the upper end of this range you begin to surpass the Ryzen 5950x in MT performance

Last edited:
Soldato
From everything that has leaked so far overclocking headroom in these chips are limited as they are pushed pretty far. To get 5.2GHz for instance on the fast cores will increase the chip to have 330w. That’s pretty insane.

Soldato
Nope, not going to pay that much money without some proper benchmarks.

Also power draw still looks to be a massive problem for Intel. I thought the shift to the new process might help but it looks like it’s going to take a considerable shift in performance core architecture to get these things under control.

Needless to say, between that and the pricing of the motherboard/DDR5 i’m less than impressed.

Associate
From everything that has leaked so far overclocking headroom in these chips are limited as they are pushed pretty far. To get 5.2GHz for instance on the fast cores will increase the chip to have 330w. That’s pretty insane.

Hm, interesting. How does that power consumption compare to 11900k on overclock?

Soldato
Hm, interesting. How does that power consumption compare to 11900k on overclock?
Power consumption is very similar, what they have managed to do is increase multithreaded performance by a lot while using the same power or if you set multithreaded performance to the same level as a 11900k then the 12900k will do this while using 65w.

It's a big leap for Intel but still behind ryzen on effiency but instead of using double the power for half the performance they now use double the power for the same performance etc.

Back
Top Bottom