The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Shame they didn't do that for company car PHEVs. Preferential rates for BIK only when evidence of a home charger installed.
PHEVs for company car drivers, where the employer paid for the fuel and the employee paid back private miles, meant it made no (financial) sense at all for people to ever plug the things in! When there was all the fuss about how few of them ever saw a charger I was more surprised people ever thought they would be plugged in!

My company car works the other way (I pay for all fuel and claim back work miles) so a PHEV would be great for me. First 30 odd miles of any work trip paid at 12ppm while it is costing me less than half that! Unfortunately I'm in a 1395cc estate so a whole 5cc from the next fuel rate bracket so every work mile costs me out of my own pocket :rolleyes:

Soldato
I know, hence the BIK for the carrot, even if it just meant more homes had EVSE atleast a tangiable output from the low carbon initiative. Really it also needs the mileage rate for increase for electric cars on company schemes doing business mileage.

Soldato
I know, hence the BIK for the carrot, even if it just meant more homes had EVSE atleast a tangiable output from the low carbon initiative. Really it also needs the mileage rate for increase for electric cars on company schemes doing business mileage.
Absolutely on both counts. I guess the problem with a fair ppm rate for electric is the vast difference between home charging and public charging. As I pay out of my own pocket and reclaim, 4ppm would soon start to sting when on a multi-day 1000 mile+ tour!

Soldato
So the recent car + app updates have finally brought my Tesla charge/pre-heat schedule to a similar state of my previous i3!

So now I can have my Tesla charge at 00:30 to match the cheap tariff AND set the battery/cabin pre-condition to finish at 07:00 when I leave for work. The i3 still had one trick which was a per day schedule rather than Tesla's weekday or weekend selection.

Associate
So the recent car + app updates have finally brought my Tesla charge/pre-heat schedule to a similar state of my previous i3!

So now I can have my Tesla charge at 00:30 to match the cheap tariff AND set the battery/cabin pre-condition to finish at 07:00 when I leave for work. The i3 still had one trick which was a per day schedule rather than Tesla's weekday or weekend selection.
I assume you have a "dumb" charge point then?

Soldato

The Tesla App has only just got that functionality? I thought they had that for years already.

Interesting how people talk about Telsa having all the technology features yet this is new.
On the Polestar forum and FB group people have been moaning about lack of app features, yet we have day schedule pre-condition timers and charging for 6+ months.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Tesla App has only just got that functionality? I thought they had that for years already.

Interesting how people talk about Telsa having all the technology features yet this is new.
On the Polestar forum and FB group people have been mooning about lack of app features, yet we have day schedule pre-condition timers and charging for 6+ months.

I never used it because I have a smart charger but I believe you could have scheduled a charge from the car UI but not from the app.

Soldato

On the Polestar forum and FB group people have been mooning about lack of app features, yet we have day schedule pre-condition timers and charging for 6+ months.

I've had the function in the car since 2019 (when I bought mine) but with one limit which was the charge time had a weird quirk if you selected the eco charge option which was related to US tariffs but they probably fixed that at some point. Mostly I just set the charge time in the car and manually started the pre-condition based on the weather.

New software update moves the functionality of charging and pre-condition into the app is just a lot more convenient. Also the cabin conditioning and battery conditioning are smarter so vary based on several parameters. Anyway first thing I noticed was where before I just allowed 20-30 mins to get the job done the Tesla software started the cabin heating later and appeared to be using less power overall. Previously it would set the HVAC high and I would see a 6kw spike which lessened over time but this morning it was less than 2kw but a proper test will be when the cold weather sets in.

As I mentioned perfection would be a per day schedule as I regularly work 4 out of 5 week days. Smart charger would be nice too but mines worked continuously for 3 years.

Soldato
I assume this thread will be renamed to include the Y at some point.

Rimetrix released new wheel covers for the Y yesterday. Pretty damn expensive, but it is nice that they cover the full alloy :eek:

https://rimetrix.com/product/laminar-black/

No the Model Y will be so popular it will need a whole dedicated section not just a separate thread :)

I like the idea of a rim protecting cover but I'd rather damage the rim and repair it as they're too nice. I've repaired one of my rims already myself and it wasn't noticeable after. Dark colour helped.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have just got some "caps" in preparation for delivery and instant removal of the aero hubcaps

IMG-20211029-150218-01.jpg

Soldato
So... I blacked out all the chrome logos on the M3 last night, using plasti dip. Looks ace, although I forgot to take a finished photo today :rolleyes:. First time doing this and it was surprisingly satisfying peeling off the rubber film when it dried.

Full stealth ftw.

Also had 2x Easee Home chargers installed on the weekend. Loving the simplistic design and the load sharing ability means that if the mrs gets an EV the system will prioritise the first car on the network OR the car with the lowest charge, whichever is greater. They can be daisy chained so you can run both off a single circuit, although I went for 2 separate circuits to minimise cables in/out of the fence and increased powah.

With Octopus Go it cost me £1.81 to charge from 49% to 82% overnight last night :cry:

AHH also just purchased these for the same purpose ...

IMG-20211029-150008-01.jpg

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’ve been driving a fully specced Model S with full self driving for the last 2 days, as my Model 3 has gone in to get the paint sorted.

(under warranty I may add :D)

One thing is for certain… I much prefer the Model 3. The dash and the functionality in the S feels like a car from the 2010s compared to the futuristic feel of the 3.

Even things like the lack of autowipers, all the buttons on the wheel and the extra stork for the cruise control just seem out of place now.

Popped to Cardiff on my day off today too and lol’d at the queue of EVs at the chargers in the shopping centre. I pulled up at the Tesla destination charger and was walking away whilst another couple were still arguing about how to activate the app for their charge point.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Interesting comparison between the two. The m3 certainly does look more modern internally but surely it rides much better than the 3 due to the suspension and size/wheelbase?

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you, but the model s does have auto wipers :p

Back
Top Bottom