Self entitled people

Associate
OP
While I agree there's many many self entitled people... I'm not sure this is necessarily a good example of that. If the mother is 89 that lady could easily be 70+ herself, I know plenty of people that age that are no longer confident enough to drive further than 2 minutes down the road to the newsagents and would definitely struggle to get a 89 year old up steps.

Didn't hear the call though so the full conversation might have made it more obvious she was just entitled rather than frustrated/struggling herself. :p

In hindsight maybe I was being a bit harsh not knowing the caller's full background, but I do think there is a general theme where some people are not even slightly prepared to go moderately out of their way to help the greater good.

Man of Honour
There is a fine line between expecting too much and expecting something reasonable when it comes to housing and other essential things.

I think it's a reasonable expectation that people with employment should be able to buy their own house or have security of tenancy as an alternative. We don't have secure tenancies here in the UK.

And its also reasonable not to have to move to the other side of the country to get this.

The mobile phone, broadband, TV packages etc don't really make a dent in having to save five digit deposits against house prices rising faster than you can save.
Maybe the issue is I see too many people crossing that fine line then. I would agree that security of tenancy is a reasonable expectation but I'm not sure location preferences for purchasing a nice home are. If you don't earn enough to buy a nice home in area X then either you buy a worse home in area X, you buy a nice home in area Y, or you wait until you are in a better financial position (which includes being frugal).

The 'luxuries don't make a dent in it' argument has been had before, whilst I understand the logic I'm not fully bought in because it means people are putting themselves in a position where they will be unable to capitalise on future opportunities because they have frittered away thousands of pounds. Maybe a 5% deposit scheme comes up, maybe they get a windfall that they could have topped u up with those ££££ they no longer have etc. it almost becomes an excuse for them to spend frivolously and then just say it's irrelevant as to why they are still a long way from a deposit.

I accept that in part these expectations may just be a reflection on previous generations for whom housing was more affordable (my parents for example bought a better house than I within walking distance of their workplace despite earning a lot less - although they were very frugal), but the world has changed.

Man of Honour
To observe this twice at two hospitals within 24 hrs suggests to me this must be a daily occurrence for A&E...

and at least a third to half will be alcohol related.
I have to go to A&E to usually get a Clinician to sign something and I see a lot of time wasters.
My most recent one was a bloke shouting, he banged through a set of double doors narrowly missing an old bloke the other side.
His wife was waiting and he shouted at her "I don't ******* believe it, I've wasted 4 hours because they've told me I've got to go back to the Chemist where we live and get paracetamol from there".

Soldato
and at least a third to half will be alcohol related.
I have to go to A&E to usually get a Clinician to sign something and I see a lot of time wasters.
My most recent one was a bloke shouting, he banged through a set of double doors narrowly missing an old bloke the other side.
His wife was waiting and he shouted at her "I don't ******* believe it, I've wasted 4 hours because they've told me I've got to go back to the Chemist where we live and get paracetamol from there".
Why can't the person at the desk just tell them to leave and take some paracetamols when booking them in?

My friend's son broke his ankle whilst riding his bike. They went to the children's A&E. There were children running about. These kids didn't have any other children with them - ie if they have siblings, they are at home or elsewhere. If your child runs about in A&E, there's nothing wrong with them as they should be in bad pain and struggle to do things like this.

Man of Honour
Why can't the person at the desk just tell them to leave and take some paracetamols when booking them in?

Band 2 Receptionists, you need to get to at least a Band 6 Triage Nurse.
Even then you can bluff your way through to a waiting room and then eventually a Dr or Consultant makes the decision.
I wish it had been a lot longer than his 4 hours.

Associate
My wife told me of the trouble she experiences when she tries go give away (for FREE, in case people struggle with this) stuff on Facebook and people start to ask questions like "can you deliver" and "can you get me a photo of this bit" or similar and then need to be chased cos they never respond to messages about collecting.

Definitely people expect a lot these days for FREE items

Man of Honour
My wife told me of the trouble she experiences when she tries go give away (for FREE, in case people struggle with this) stuff on Facebook and people start to ask questions like "can you deliver" and "can you get me a photo of this bit" or similar and then need to be chased cos they never respond to messages about collecting.

Last year I put a bed settee on for free under must collect and it has to go today.
I got loads of interest but had to go with the first person who said they would come later that evening and they never turned up.
I messaged the following day to see where she was and she said that if I bought it to her house 20 miles away and gave her £20 she would take it off my hands :)

I also put a road bike on for a bargain and I had people posting "Can you bring it to Glasgow (from Stoke) and I'll give you £30" :)

Associate
Last year I put a bed settee on for free under must collect and it has to go today.
I got loads of interest but had to go with the first person who said they would come later that evening and they never turned up.
I messaged the following day to see where she was and she said that if I bought it to her house 20 miles away and gave her £20 she would take it off my hands :)

I also put a road bike on for a bargain and I had people posting "Can you bring it to Glasgow (from Stoke) and I'll give you £30" :)

Never say "has to go today" or they think you NEED it gone and try such crap

Man of Honour
"Go on then" said in an informal setting amongst friends/family is a perfectly acceptable response and equivalent to "yes please" in that context.

Seems you were being a bit picky here I think.

Your response is not unreasonable Dan, and I can understand where you’re coming from, but unfortunately the guy in question is an out and out boor.
If he picked his change up at the bar and dropped a pound coin and you picked it up and gave it to him, he’d pocket it and walk away without a word.
Visiting us with his wife once, my wife, (HIS SISTER), asked him if he’d like a beer, he didn’t bother with “yes please” or “no thanks”, he just said, “got any cider?”, when she said that she was sorry but no, he just went back to watching TV and didn’t even acknowledge that she’d spoken.
As far as I’m concerned, I wouldn’t **** on him if he was alight, so “go on then” cuts no ice with me.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

Always find this, the requests you get from morons when giving away items on groups like that are sometimes ridiculous. The only time i'll now bother is when it is doing me a real favour, ie i need something very large removing which i know has near zero value.

Everything else i now sell on eBay rather than trying to give it away, when someone bothers to search for specifically, bid and then pay for an item, they tend to be far more reliable IME.

Associate
Always find this, the requests you get from morons when giving away items on groups like that are sometimes ridiculous. The only time i'll now bother is when it is doing me a real favour, ie i need something very large removing which i know has near zero value.

Everything else i now sell on eBay rather than trying to give it away, when someone bothers to search for specifically, bid and then pay for an item, they tend to be far more reliable IME.

also we get retards who when told "DM me, cos I dont get notifications" STILL dont and post on thread... I dont know why wife bothers

Back
Top Bottom