• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
The buy link doesn't seem to work for those modules, yet. Maybe they are out of stock.

In my opinion, worth holding off for a few weeks, to see what modules become available.

Last edited:
Soldato
The buy link doesn't seem to work for those modules, yet. Maybe they are out of stock.

In my opinion, worth holding off for a few weeks, to see what modules become available.

Id hold off until after AM5 and be looking for much higher capacity sticks than 8gb. Probably 32/64gb. Maybe even 128gb.

smr

smr

Soldato
Which CPU would be a good choice - the 12600K, 12700KF or 12700K? Is it worth spending the extra on the i7 chips over the i5 12600K?

I do mostly photography and video editing.

Caporegime
Why is there so much excitement about DDR5, despite any evidence of performance improvement in demanding games or software?

We know that quad channel offers twice the bandwidth of dual channel, it's a fairly straight forward improvement. If AMD or Intel created compatible CPUs (current gen) and DDR4 motherboards , wouldn't that offer higher bandwidth than dual channel DDR5, without sacrificing the low latencies on DDR4?

I doubt they'd be much difference in cost either, due to the price of DDR5 RAM.

Perhaps lower latency quad channel DDR5 setups are more likely though, in the next year or so.

Alderlakes "quad channel" is 4 32bit channels vs 2 64bit channels on Z590 isn't it? Not really the same as current quad channel implementations.

Soldato
OP
Someone managed to get a motherboard along with their 12900k

so we have the first benches

Edit: nevermind, it looks fake, link removed

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Which CPU would be a good choice - the 12600K, 12700KF or 12700K? Is it worth spending the extra on the i7 chips over the i5 12600K?

I do mostly photography and video editing.

Same usage as me with the few games here and there. Lightroom, Photoshop, Davinci Resolve, Camtasia and now Premiere Rush.

I chose the 12700K as it still has the 8 P cores whilst it also has some e cores for background offload when Lightroom is in the BG so I can still work in videos etc whilst an export happens without sacrificing system performance.

Personally the way I and a number of others see it, there's a reason why Intel has omitted any 12700K benchmarks from their slides and only compared 12600 vs 12900 as the gap is biggest. This is a solid tell for me that the 12700 will be the optimum choice for cost vs performance.

Mine will be mated to the current RAM I have, Corsair 32GB 3600MHz CL18.

Associate
Same usage as me with the few games here and there. Lightroom, Photoshop, Davinci Resolve, Camtasia and now Premiere Rush.

I chose the 12700K as it still has the 8 P cores whilst it also has some e cores for background offload when Lightroom is in the BG so I can still work in videos etc whilst an export happens without sacrificing system performance.

Personally the way I and a number of others see it, there's a reason why Intel has omitted any 12700K benchmarks from their slides and only compared 12600 vs 12900 as the gap is biggest. This is a solid tell for me that the 12700 will be the optimum choice for cost vs performance.

Mine will be mated to the current RAM I have, Corsair 32GB 3600MHz CL18.
12900k is still clocked higher and has more L3 cache so it should be faster in gaming. Games don’t care about core counts so 12700k has that covered.

Associate
12900k is still clocked higher and has more L3 cache so it should be faster in gaming. Games don’t care about core counts so 12700k has that covered.

The year 2010 is calling and wants it's Intel corp misinformation back. Game engines have been moving to ECS architecture (and others) for over a decade, the benefits being greater parallelism & concurrency, and lower latency for state / action / systems updates. This is a scalable design that benefits directly from higher core counts. Vulkan also demonstrated how multicore can help feed the GPU for rendering benefits.

Read more, type less.

Soldato
The year 2010 is calling and wants it's Intel corp misinformation back. Game engines have been moving to ECS architecture (and others) for over a decade, the benefits being greater parallelism & concurrency, and lower latency for state / action / systems updates. This is a scalable design that benefits directly from higher core counts. Vulkan also demonstrated how multicore can help feed the GPU for rendering benefits.

Read more, type less.
I guess Ubisoft didn't get the memo.

Associate
Clearly not because the majority, if not all, of their titles are noted by their terrible performance characteristics.
I mean there's other reasons - pumping the cash cow for captured markets etc, tech debt doesn't get paid down if there's no urgent or compelling reason.

Back
Top Bottom