Trainer craze

Soldato
You get a lot of limited releases, people jump on those as they'll likely become gold dust given a few years.

Personally it's waiting on reissues of ones i either had growing up, or wanted around the time. Old Nike runners from the 80's tend to be my thing, any money for the right colour line.

Soldato
People buy things they value. People are more inclined to buy things that go up in value. Trainers are a nice thing that go up in value.

Caporegime
People buy things they value. People are more inclined to buy things that go up in value. Trainers are a nice thing that go up in value.

I never got why they go up in value. Its not like they're technological or artistic masterpieces. They're normally just a different colourscheme of something mass produced.

Soldato
People collect all sorts of stuff, often for no reason at all.

A mate collects vinyl, but has no record player.

One friend used to collect carrier bags. He had thousands of them.

A friend has hundreds, possibly thousands, of boxed, unbuilt, model kits in his attic. Some were quite expensive. He will never build them.

People just like to acquire objects that please them.

Man of Honour
I don't understand it either. I buy shoes to wear, mostly converse all stars, couple of pairs of winter hiking boots too. That said, I have got a pair of the Nike Air Mags's in my size from a few years ago. But, I do plan to wear them, need to find a good BTTF2 jacket replica. Got the holographic hat already and a reasonable hoverboard. ;)

Soldato
I never got why they go up in value. Its not like they're technological or artistic masterpieces. They're normally just a different colourscheme of something mass produced.
The same way Rolex does, controlling supply and leveraging trends/influencers to hype/make the market.

Soldato
Reebok made the original trainers worn by Ripley and Bishop in Aliens (1986), before selling them as the Bugstompers on the market.
Every now and then they re-release them as they're guaranteed 100% sales at about £3-400 per pair, but they're usually sold out faster than graphics cards and invariably to scalpers who drive the price up to £1500 immediately.
But even with plain trainers - If the colour scheme thing didn't work, Samsung wouldn't now be doing the same mass-produced folding phones in 40 different colours.

Back
Top Bottom