Trainer craze

Soldato
What are their prices like in comparison on a like for like model?
A basic sport model Rolex is unobtainium. If you can get a 5k Air King (their worst model) you can flip it the same day for 6k. If you get a £7k Submariner you can flip it for 13k the next day. A 10k Daytona...next day, 30k.

Arguable much better watches are available for half the price. Rolex just control supply to artificial mess with demand.

Soldato
Soldato
I collect them. Both to wear, display and also store for investment.

Ive lost count of how many but it's significantly over 300 now.

Always had a few pairs but nothing special then in about 2017 realised how much cash you can make if you win a raffle for a pair.
Since then I got sucked in pretty hard. My collection is vast but large chunks are paid for by buying and selling other pairs.
It's an addicting feeling the first time you get a win, wether it's a pair you've wanted for ages or you buy for £150 and sell for £800+ which I've done multiple times.

I'd say my collection is probably worth at least double what I paid for them.

So in the last 2 years it's become significantly harder and harder to get the pairs for retail as their popularity has exploded and everyone interested basically has their whole families enrering multiple times for them or running bots.

Having thoughts at the moment about dumping a few hundred pairs but considering trying to time the market as most of mine are air max and a few people seem to be thinking they will be the next model to be stupidly hyped after the dunks.

Last edited:
Associate
I I like trainers and have usually bought nice ones. But I wouldn't get into the whole rare colour thing or special editions unless I really liked them. Wouldn't wouldnt mind some jordan 4s for example.

Artificial lack of supply to increase prices

Scam.

Caporegime
I never got why they go up in value. Its not like they're technological or artistic masterpieces. They're normally just a different colourscheme of something mass produced.

They are limited edition.

Same reason limited edition pokemon cards, ferraris, etc go up in value over time.

Anything collectible and has appeal will go up in value if limited. It's the basics of supply and demand. Demand needs to be there. So you can't just make a limited run of any old crap.

Caporegime
They are limited edition.

Same reason limited edition pokemon cards, ferraris, etc go up in value over time.

Anything collectible and has appeal will go up in value if limited. It's the basics of supply and demand. Demand needs to be there. So you can't just make a limited run of any old crap.

But they're literally just different colours of something completely mediocre.

Caporegime
Why would you display a trainer? I get displaying something that shows craftsmanship or even art. But an item of clothing?

It's to show off to other collectors most likely. The same reason people have signed football shirts, basketballs, etc on display. Pokemon cards, figurines, star wars stuff.

Caporegime
But they're literally just different colours of something completely mediocre.

Mediocre in your opinion. I really like AJ1's I'm not so keen on any of the others. The same way I think people who buy star wars stuff for hundreds of pounds are buying overpriced plastic is how you view trainers but the reality is these have a huge brand following behind them. Therefore it's not as black and white as you suggest

Caporegime
Mediocre in your opinion. I really like AJ1's I'm not so keen on any of the others. The same way I think people who buy star wars stuff for hundreds of pounds are buying overpriced plastic is how you view trainers but the reality is these have a huge brand following behind them. Therefore it's not as black and white as you suggest

No, mediocre in that they're not highly crafted items.

Soldato
Reebok made the original trainers worn by Ripley and Bishop in Aliens (1986), before selling them as the Bugstompers on the market.
Every now and then they re-release them as they're guaranteed 100% sales at about £3-400 per pair, but they're usually sold out faster than graphics cards and invariably to scalpers who drive the price up to £1500 immediately.
But even with plain trainers - If the colour scheme thing didn't work, Samsung wouldn't now be doing the same mass-produced folding phones in 40 different colours.

I just looked on ebay and theres some for under £80.

Back
Top Bottom