Vehicle Registration Offences (Penalty Points) Bill

Caporegime
Lol.

You obviously havent ever driven in winter before. Try it this year, maybe you'll learn something.
I regularly drive to the top of the French alps for skiing, not once have I finished the round trip with an unreadable numberplate. It really isn’t difficult, just clean your car (of if you are really lazy, just your plates and lights) regularly.

Soldato
Drive an SUV with poor aerodynamics that result in a low pressure/vortex zone around the rear number plate and live somewhere where the local roads are narrow and muddy. I have to wipe my rear plate weekly during the winter or it would become unreadable.

Weekly, yes. Thats fair. That however is not what he said..

Soldato
Problem is you can have a missing or damaged plate and it not be your fault. If someone steals it or it gets damaged while you are out there isn't much you can do. Giving points for it is just excessive.

There are already penalties for purposly covering the plates or using non-standard ones.

But all the reliance on cameras and computers to police the roads means it's now trivial to get away with things simply by removing or obscuring a plate. The government created their own problem. They should put more resources back in to policing the real world instead of social media.

Last edited:
Soldato
How about if your passenger takes their seatbelt off, currently you get a fine 100 quid.

You don't though, do you... Unless the passenger is a child, it is their own responsibility to ensure they have their seatbelt on.

Can't say i've ever had my plate become so obscured by mud/snow/ice etc it's unreadable, and I used to do ~30k/year around tiny dark, wet & muddy rural roads/single track lanes in South Wales and Somerset. I'm all for this - the amount of cars around here with tints so dark the numberplate is unreadable is ridiculous. Sure, maybe it's not directly dangerous, but it makes it a lot easier to get away with various other things if your car can't be identified

Associate
Unless I’m mistaken as I was looking at this the other day… The proposed bill is over a year old and if you look at the parliament website it says this under news -

News - Vehicle Registration Offences (Penalty Points)
The Bill failed to complete its passage through Parliament before the end of the session. This means the Bill will make no further progress.

Soldato
Lol at Kindai thread backfiring and then trying to justify it with non starter scenarios.. Tip, I can cover 30k miles over a winter period and never have such a dirty plate that it's impossible to read. I know this because i never wash my daily driver through winter, November to March.

Back to the sensible topic... Good. Only morons and "init bruvs" drive around with stupid looking illegal plates. If it deters them or even better, gets them off the road, bring it on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom