• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone pre ordered 12600k and z690 board yet?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
£700 for me to upgrade to 12700KF with the Asus Prime Z690-P D4 board. Keeping my decent DDR4 as see no point in going to DDR5 this side of 2022 if even 2022 entirely. I'd expect low latency DDR5 at decent prices to be a ways off yet and I'm satisfied by all leaks so far that I'll be able to pile along with the 12700 for several years with ease.

£650 if you include the £50 cashback from Asus and even less after selling my old MOBO, CPU and AIO :D

Soldato
£700 for me to upgrade to 12700KF with the Asus Prime Z690-P D4 board. Keeping my decent DDR4 as see no point in going to DDR5 this side of 2022 if even 2022 entirely. I'd expect low latency DDR5 at decent prices to be a ways off yet and I'm satisfied by all leaks so far that I'll be able to pile along with the 12700 for several years with ease.

£650 if you include the £50 cashback from Asus and even less after selling my old MOBO, CPU and AIO :D

£650 for me to upgrade to a 5950X.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'd rather stick to Intel personally. Preference and all that. Plus with the random issues that pop up with AMD and the ongoing one currently being discussed over at Hardware Unboxed on their twitter so always on edge with that sort of stuff. Plus I do not want to do a fresh install of Windows doing such a big platform change going 6th Gen Intel to Zen 3 etc.

Plus, new tech smell :D

Associate
I have zero preference on company, as and when I upgrade I go to the perceived best price/ perf I can get at the time. I've just upgraded my old Intel system for an AMD one, 5600x, 16GB 3600 and MB for £436 very happy with it.
I do think this round of Intel CPU's will be faster than AMD but not by the margins Intel have mislead people with. Worse, its starting to look like we might not get a clear picture even on the 4th when the reviews are out. I suspect Intel's review guidance is long and strict, the recent L3 fix , not fix, sorta fix so long as you reinstall windows each time will confuse the picture further. The software bugs will get sorted, but generally day one review numbers set the performance picture in peoples minds even if its not quite accurate.

Soldato
I'd rather stick to Intel personally. Preference and all that. Plus with the random issues that pop up with AMD and the ongoing one currently being discussed over at Hardware Unboxed on their twitter so always on edge with that sort of stuff. Plus I do not want to do a fresh install of Windows doing such a big platform change going 6th Gen Intel to Zen 3 etc.

Plus, new tech smell :D

Haven’t had many issues at all with Ryzen.

I wouldn’t be expecting plain sailing from a chip based off a design like Alderlake. Especially on Windows.

Last edited:
Soldato
The fact the new i5 is such good value is annoying given if you want future proofing, it's ddr5 board and memory. Both of those are hugely expensive early on and the memory will look like junk within 12-24 months. Dropping in the i7 or i9 in years to come isn't ideal if performance drops off with ddr4 compared to fast ddr5.

Would seem a budget i5 build with no room to upgrade is ideal this gen given the console release cycle and where that's at. I say budget, decent psu and fast pcie4 drive still a must.

Associate
The fact the new i5 is such good value is annoying given if you want future proofing, it's ddr5 board and memory. Both of those are hugely expensive early on and the memory will look like junk within 12-24 months. Dropping in the i7 or i9 in years to come isn't ideal if performance drops off with ddr4 compared to fast ddr5.

Would seem a budget i5 build with no room to upgrade is ideal this gen given the console release cycle and where that's at. I say budget, decent psu and fast pcie4 drive still a must.
EDIT just to say, there are some good DDR5 deals out there.

Soldato
There was a competitor who I will not mention who were selling 32GB of DDR5 4800 for £185. I've gone for that and will swap it out when we see faster stuff.
That's a very good price and no doubt there will be some overclocking headroom if you up the voltage from the standard 1.1v

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

There's no point spending that coin on DDR5 really. I weighed up the pros and cons either way and it makes logical sense to not jump onto DDR5 now because of the cost, higher latency etc. Stick to DDR4 for another 12-24 months easily as you can get nice quality stuff for cheaper and still get most of the benefits of Alderlake without the bulk expense. It will be much easier to then just upgrade mobo and RAM for a nice price later and get lower latency DDR5. That will be my path in time.

Soldato
There's no point spending that coin on DDR5 really. I weighed up the pros and cons either way and it makes logical sense to not jump onto DDR5 now because of the cost, higher latency etc. Stick to DDR4 for another 12-24 months easily as you can get nice quality stuff for cheaper and still get most of the benefits of Alderlake without the bulk expense. It will be much easier to then just upgrade mobo and RAM for a nice price later and get lower latency DDR5. That will be my path in time.

It's a complete faff swapping out a board and formatting to avoid any potential issues. It's why I'd buy a really fast pcie4 drive now just to avoid the upgrade and fresh install if a gen 3 started showing its age in a few years. There's no chance of that happening with gen 4 due to the consoles.

Associate
Hi guys, I'm new here....and a novice, wanting to build my first ever pc! I did pre-order the 12900k then cancelled aftering thinking about the cooling complications the TDP is way to high, other option was 5900x but going to wait and see what AMD brings in January.....ideally wanted to build something this month! :(

V F

V F

Soldato
Hi guys, I'm new here....and a novice, wanting to build my first ever pc! I did pre-order the 12900k then cancelled aftering thinking about the cooling complications the TDP is way to high, other option was 5900x but going to wait and see what AMD brings in January.....ideally wanted to build something this month! :(

You've only a few days to wait to see the reviews.

Soldato
Reviews are out tomorrow and it looks like Intel will be faster and cheaper and the rumours are price cuts from AND are just around the corner.

The 12700k IMO is the chip to get if you want to go on the higher end and TDP is reasonable and won't overload most coolers.

Back
Top Bottom