Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
Been having huel for brekky for years now, switched to black edition when that came out. Taking the next step and ordered a load of hot and savoury for lunches as I'm taking my training a bit more seriously now....and have kinda accidentally turned vegetarian!

Had the chilli before that is..fine, trying Mac and cheese and thai green curry this time...

Soldato
Had first Mac N Cheese for lunch....tastes ok, but clearly most of that is coming from the aroma they've added. It really smells, would certainly be anti-social to cook one up in the office!

Think I'll stick to the other flavours in future, will try the thai green curry tomorrow.

Caporegime
Ooh, this Black edition Vanilla combined with the flavour boost sachets is a vast improvement over my usual choice which is the Unsweetened & Unflavoured with the sachets. It just masks the metallic/stevia aftertaste that I'm not keen on for a more sugary-like taste. (Not sure whether that's a good thing as I can nearly glug the entire 500ml in a few minutes now rather than the 30 it usually takes me.)

Caporegime
Might have to do a quick stock up before December 8th then. I'm finding it's more mentally satisfying to chomp on a Huel bar when I get hungry instead of reaching for a block of chocolate.

Soldato
That's a big price increase!

Yeah it's a bit rich tbh. I can't believe their margins are getting squeezed that hard.

I'm on 2x black edition + 3x hot n savoury a month....can just about justify it at these prices....but any more increases and I'm off.

Associate
And that's if you stay signed up to the subscription, it's what ? 12% increase, that's pretty high makes me wonder if the perpetual 10% subscription price is not sustainable for them so they've basically made the sub price the normal price now
It was already massively overpriced though, more than double the price of similar alternatives, so I'm not sure why an extra 12% would make a big difference.

Soldato
Just tried Mac and cheese. Flavour wise it's fine but I will add more water next time and leave longer as I had crunchy pasta.
The only one I felt was inedible was the sweet and sour.
Though I have all the other flavours to try now but feel they are 'safe'

Caporegime
Just tried Mac and cheese. Flavour wise it's fine but I will add more water next time and leave longer as I had crunchy pasta.

Yup, same here. It was like eating one of those old pasta pot noodle things that didn't soften the pasta up enough. The problem I have with these meals is they're difficult to mix up. So I end up with one or two days of mostly powder (i.e. sauce) and then the rest of the time more of the food and less sauce.

Also, I wonder if they've changed the chicken korma. It tasted fantastic last night. I don't think the few garlic mushrooms I added would have altered the taste that much. Unless the salt in the garlic butter enhanced it massively.

Soldato
Yup, same here. It was like eating one of those old pasta pot noodle things that didn't soften the pasta up enough. The problem I have with these meals is they're difficult to mix up. So I end up with one or two days of mostly powder (i.e. sauce) and then the rest of the time more of the food and less sauce.

Also, I wonder if they've changed the chicken korma. It tasted fantastic last night. I don't think the few garlic mushrooms I added would have altered the taste that much. Unless the salt in the garlic butter enhanced it massively.

I find they also come out totally different depending how one makes it. For example, Mexican chili in the pot always a good consistency, fills me up. If I make it in a bowl (same water qty) and cover it, it comes out like a watery soup. I just stick to the pot now.
Not tried korma yet but will this week.

Soldato
The only one I felt was inedible was the sweet and sour.
Though I have all the other flavours to try now but feel they are 'safe'

I put a fair bit extra water in the mac and cheese, nearly fill the cup....it still stays a good consistency.

I was a bit put off the smell at first, but now I've switched to all mac and cheese in my order. It's just a more satisfying and filling meal than the chilli and thai green curry.

Soldato
I put a fair bit extra water in the mac and cheese, nearly fill the cup....it still stays a good consistency.

I was a bit put off the smell at first, but now I've switched to all mac and cheese in my order. It's just a more satisfying and filling meal than the chilli and thai green curry.

I agree, it was really thick and more filling than the others so far.
Going to try tomato/korma/madras today as they are the 3 I've yet to open. Not too excited about the tomato one.

Caporegime
I agree, it was really thick and more filling than the others so far.
Going to try tomato/korma/madras today as they are the 3 I've yet to open. Not too excited about the tomato one.

I had Madras last night - it is quite strong on its own. I plan to add some cauliflower rice to it next time.

Back
Top Bottom