Going away for Christmas, is it weird?

Associate
I'm half thinking of going away at christmas, because all sub-categories of family want to do their own thing, with their own families this year. But the idea of going away at christmas, with it cold and dark, doesn't seem very normal!

Have you gone away at Christmas, and where have you gone?

Soldato
I had an enforced staycation last Christmas because I was quarantining. Not fun. Did you have anything in particular in mind? A cruise, perhaps?

Associate
As a family Florida, went to Walt Disney World on Christmas Day, naively thinking it would be fairly quiet. It was heaving!

Spain, completely different take on Christmas, we went to see then in-laws, New Year didn't get started until well into the night.

Soldato
I've spent 5 out of the last 6 xmas's away from UK, granted, I've lived in NZ for 4 of them :D

It still feels weird having xmas in summer though, I do kinda miss UK xmas's, and European xmas markets etc.

Associate
I was traveling in China over Christmas.

As I was in Beijing I went to see chairman Mao on Christmas day.

Didn't really celebrate at all.

Soldato
I never been on holiday at Christmas. Know a few people who have been away and say that they never do it again. They just miss the cosy nights and the little things that make Christmas.

Don’t fancy eating out on Christmas Day. Why pay £60-£100 per person - that’s EXCLUDING drinks and have to share a room with other families. My friend’s gran decided one Christmas - 12 of her family to go to a restaurant for Christmas. It cost her £1350 as about 6 bottles of wine, 2 bottles of champagne and 12 other boozy drinks (beer, GnT) on top of £90 per head. That’s a lot of money - friend’s mum only spends about 15% of that on food for the Christmas food and a few drinks. Another thing with eating out on Christmas Day is my friend’s family use the cooked turkey for cold cuts for Boxing Day and use the other bits over the week. So unable to do this. So had to buy additional food for Boxing Day and other days.

Soldato
We do Tenerife at Christmas and it’s really nice, warm weather throughout the day, hits mid 20’s in December and only drops to 16-17’c during the night.

Man of Honour
Lot of the older lorry drivers at work spend Christmas abroad - for some reason Turkey and Barbados are popular ones. Personally I'd rather go somewhere a bit more Christmas themed.

Soldato
People do it but if I did it would have to be somewhere properly christmassy visit lapland or something see some actual snow and the northern lights rather than the damp grey mild xmases here. Actually my sister did exactly that her partners sister is married to one of them.

Back
Top Bottom