What annoys you about your current car?

Soldato
Soldato
Ok, so how do you deal with the annoying wipers reacting to a momentary splash when it isn't raining issue if they're always on?

You also end up eventually damaging the blades by dragging them across an otherwise dry screen because the sensor got a bit wet. Not a problem if you wait until it's actually raining before simply pressing the stalk..

Lights I agree, never a reason not to be always auto but guess what, that's exactly how auto lights work...
One thing I find excellent in BMW's approach is you can perform a single wipe pushing down on the stalk without affecting the auto function at all. In VAG, Fords etc, you have to click down twice, then click back up to auto position for a single wipe where the auto sensor hasn't quite picked up the rain / you just want some extra wipeage

Man of Honour
Turning circle, absolutely crap on a Volvo V70, at least I’m comfortable whilst twirling the wheel…. :p

Something I do like about my pickup - the turning circle is actually not bad - even if it is 1+m more than all the other vehicles parked on the drive.

Man of Honour
Volvo V90 Cross Country T6.

- For a car that is riddled with safety features and heavily sells itself on safety, the fact the HVAC and some key audio controls are not tactile and require interaction with a touch screen is mildly annoying.
- The gearbox software could be improved for more optimal gear selection and smoother operation in some scenarios. Volvo have sorted this but it is only available with the Polestar update at a cost of around £700.
- Active main beam is about half a second too slow to dip for oncoming traffic, meaning I normally don’t use it. A small config change would make it perfect.
- The heated seats are terrible. Max temp 40C. It must be a country specific feature because owners of the same car in colder countries can roast the arse off themselves.

Man of Honour
Matrix LEDs are the best. No dipping involve, you just see a black bit on the car coming towards you. Rest of road still in full beam. Works perfectly.

Hmm wonder if those are the people who come up behind me/following me at night where in the rear view mirror their lights are normal but in one or both of the wing mirrors absolutely dazzling and quite dangerous. The other day I had to pull over and let someone past like that as it was making it impossible to see ahead in the dark.

My truck has quite big wing mirrors so possible they are outside the dark zone. If that is the cause that is actually a pretty big issue.

Man of Honour
A few things which my Golf MK7 GT did which my 230i doesn't do:

- Auto fold wing mirrors in when locking the car (have to hold down lock button on fob after locking for a few seconds)
- Front parking sensors don't come on unless you put it in reverse which wakes both front and rear up
- No skip track forward/back/fast forward/rewind buttons on steering wheel controls
- No front corner lighting, the Golf used to turn on the corner fog light at night when turning the wheel a certain amount at low speeds which worked really well to illuminate around the corner. I expect this is an option on more expensive headlight options on mine, but the fog light is a simple way of doing it and worked great

Last edited:
Soldato
A few things which my Golf MK7 GT did which my 230i doesn't do:

- Auto fold wing mirrors in when locking the car (have to hold down lock button on fob after locking for a few seconds)
- Front parking sensors don't come on unless you put it in reverse which wakes both front and rear up
- No skip track forward/back/fast forward/rewind buttons on steering wheel controls
- No front corner lighting, the Golf used to turn on the corner fog light at night when turning the wheel a certain amount at low speeds which worked really well to illuminate around the corner. I expect this is an option on more expensive headlight options on mine, but the fog light is a simple way of doing it and worked great

auto folding mirrors can be coded
front parking sensors surely you have a button near the gearstick to turn them on?
skip track is on the steering wheel dial surely?

Associate
front parking sensors surely you have a button near the gearstick to turn them on?

I think the point on the front sensors is that with his Golf he didn't need to turn them on. My Octavia's automatically activate when you get close enough for them to be needed. But agree using the button sounds better than throwing it into reverse :p

Soldato
My driveway is quite narrow and lined with hedges. When I had the Passat every time I reversed up the drive it would bang the brakes on and give me a massive jolt because it thought I was driving in to a wall :p

Man of Honour
I need to code something else in (Hi Fox) so will look into the mirrors change, thanks.

Change track is there on the wheel thing but I used to have a button on the wheel before that if held down it would fast forward/go back or just skip track forward/back if pressed once if you know what I mean?

I think the point on the front sensors is that with his Golf he didn't need to turn them on. My Octavia's automatically activate when you get close enough for them to be needed. But agree using the button sounds better than throwing it into reverse :p
Yes, this. I don't know why they don't at least give you the option. I've read somewhere it might be possible to code in but not anything certain.

Its minor stuff but just one of those things when changing manufacturer :)

Soldato
My driveway is quite narrow and lined with hedges. When I had the Passat every time I reversed up the drive it would bang the brakes on and give me a massive jolt because it thought I was driving in to a wall :p

I stumbled across this setting on my Golf and believe you can turn the brake assist off when performing low speed manoeuvres.

This feature actually saved me from nudging into a bollard once whilst being blinded by the winter sun :D

Soldato
I've actually just found something rather annoying on our car (Audi A1) - wing mirrors seem to be magnets for raindrops. Not much different to my old A3. During the daytime they're not much of an issue, but at night when a car lights behind is dazzling off the wing mirror rain droplets, it makes it impossible to even see anything.

Does anyone use anything like a water repellent solution on the mirrors, or i've seen you can get these plastic patches that are supposedly water repellent.

Soldato
I've tried RainX before, but the water still tends to bead up on mirrors, I guess due to the aerodynamics, there's not enough airflow to keep the glass clear.

Associate
Mini JCW. A couple of minor annoyances:

Reverse - Far too easy to stick it into reverse. All you need to do is push it to the left a bit harder than you would if you wanted first. Thankfully I've always caught it in time, but have had a few worried drivers behind me beep at me.

Indicators - I really dislike them. On a normal car for example, lets say you want to turn left. So you pull the indicator stalk down to indicate left, and it will stay down until you have made the turn, or until you manually lift it back to centre. On the Mini however, you pull the stalk down, and it will jump back to the middle position right away, even though you are currently indicating. The amount of times I went to cancel the indicator but end up indicating on the other direction instead!

Soldato
Indicators - I really dislike them. On a normal car for example, lets say you want to turn left. So you pull the indicator stalk down to indicate left, and it will stay down until you have made the turn, or until you manually lift it back to centre. On the Mini however, you pull the stalk down, and it will jump back to the middle position right away, even though you are currently indicating. The amount of times I went to cancel the indicator but end up indicating on the other direction instead!

just push the indicator the same way to cancel it, stops you from accidentally pushing it the wrong way...

Back
Top Bottom