The Last of Us Part II

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I finished it last night. I'm not seeing the outrage so many claim but I must admit, I prefer this game over the first. This was a DEEP and long emotional story. I thought it was a very sad ending to both Ellie and Abby. Seeing anger, revenge turn into regret.

I'm not sure if we can post spoilers in here so I'll stick them in tags just incase

It was a kind of depressing ending, but I thought the last bit with Ellie going back to look for Abby didn't quite fit properly for me, she'd found out why Abby had done what she did when she first went looking for her, it wasn't just a senseless act on Abby's part, Joel had murdered her father who was only trying to do the right thing and find a cure. Surely Ellie has the emotional reasoning and understanding/empathy to see Abby's motive for it in the first place and just agree to go their separate ways. Surely killing all of Abby's friends and dog the first time was "punishment" enough for Abby.

And the actual ending didn't really tie things up, I'm assuming Dina had gone back to Jacksonville, but was Ellie heading back there at the end? I'd have liked some closure on that. I also assumed from the change in the menu splash screen after completion that Abby and Lev made it to the fireflies, but after the last fight with Ellie she was pretty badly cut up, on top of being tied up on a pole for however long in the sun!

Soldato
The last mission bit was the worst part of the game if you ask me. But I suppose if it had not of happened Abby would not have escaped. I actually preferred Abby’s character to Ellie who I found a bit annoying in the end. It did feel a bit forced at times especially the end but it’s still a fantastic game. The level of detail is so much higher than anything else at times it’s hard to believe it was a PS4 game. Cannot wait to see what they do on PS5….

Soldato
I didn't like having to play as Abby after 'that' moment but after I got to know her and understand her motivation and watch the play out of her sympathy towards Lev and Yara, I ended up liking her a lot.

V F

V F

Soldato
The last mission bit was the worst part of the game if you ask me. But I suppose if it had not of happened Abby would not have escaped. I actually preferred Abby’s character to Ellie who I found a bit annoying in the end. It did feel a bit forced at times especially the end but it’s still a fantastic game. The level of detail is so much higher than anything else at times it’s hard to believe it was a PS4 game. Cannot wait to see what they do on PS5….

I loved how they seemed to nail that overgrown feel to California. I've never been to America but it felt like an overgrown California you'd expect. Almost like the feel to the Patrick Swayze Point Break California.
That and I loved the change of scenery with sunshine. For so long between both games it was a dull/bleak/dark world that it was starting to feel like sunshine was a forgotten thing.

V F

V F

Soldato
Which part is this person referring? I don't remember a school part... What hall?

Nah, to me, the first really difficult part of the game is the school, most specifically the hall. At this point, there ain't a whole lot of cover (which means it's very easy for them to flank you), their patterns is randomized and since you're early in the game, you probably don't have a lotta ammo either. This is a section that's difficult to either stealth or fight through. However, once you're outside, things get a whole lot easier thanks to the tall grass and how easy the enemies are to avoid once you reach the roof.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah, the gym with the bloater but there were no tall grass areas to hide in the first game that this person refers. Nor was Tommy there. There was a dark hallway with clickers and runners before entering the gym.

It’s something I’ll never attempt lol. I always get smoked during the intro section where you have to fight off the infected with Joel while Tommy pushes that gondola to the window to escape. I always die several times on that section on grounded+ lol.

Is that so? It's actually pretty easy once you realize that you don't need to kill the infected and you're faster than any of them. That means you can just run and dodge around them until Tommy's done pushing the gondola.

Nah, to me, the first really difficult part of the game is the school, most specifically the hall. At this point, there ain't a whole lot of cover (which means it's very easy for them to flank you), their patterns is randomized and since you're early in the game, you probably don't have a lotta ammo either. This is a section that's difficult to either stealth or fight through. However, once you're outside, things get a whole lot easier thanks to the tall grass and how easy the enemies are to avoid once you reach the roof.

V F

V F

Soldato
Oh, another thing I had forgotten. I had crafted the explosive arrows for so long that I never used them until Santa Barbara. Hilarious. A section where I came through a mesh fence, 3 people were standing talking then popped one explosive arrow. That truly was nasty. Body parts flew everywhere. All 3 were dead from one arrow.

I must admit one shotting either corner peeking or laying in the grass with the rifle was truly gratifying on the helmet dudes.

The AI can be quite dumb sadly. I felt like Dutch in Predator yelling "kill me now, do it!" Trying to lure the helmet guys with bottles and bricks and they kept going away. This was in between laying explosive traps above and below the spiral staircase. Yet they wouldn't come and check the explosions next to them on Survival difficulty.

Caporegime
Just finished a Grounded, Permadeath per chapter playthrough. Took nearly 22 hours, I lost just over 17 hours due to deaths and died 64 times, mainly during The Forest chapter.

Loved the story as much as my first play through but having to use stealth this time made it so much more tense and enjoyable.

I released the three chained clickers on the last mission (The Resort) and they killed just about everyone in the building. Was so much fun watching them run after the Rattlers and hearing their screams as they finally got caught :D

Associate
i played this game at the weekend. got to the city and gave up. got fed up with all the scenes i couldnt skip, which i thought were crap.

You can skip all of the cut scenes pretty much......

I've just started it again after finishing the first one last week. It runs a hell of a lot better on PS5 that's for sure hehe.

V F

V F

Soldato
Ahhh, now I remember. That was before the greenery. Trust, it was a bit of a slog in some parts but it really picks up. There was some really deep, intense situations.

I think I ended up at 40 hours or so by the time I finished it.

Soldato
some matey woke her up and took her through the snow to show her the city. then she ditched him, sneaked into a house and took out a lookout. at that point id had enough.
What?? That’s barely even scratching the surface of the prologue. Edit - helps if you’ve played the first game first with regards to the rest of the story.

Soldato
Bit of a bump.

So I've been playing this game for the past week or so after nabbing it for £23 on PSN. I loved the first game when I first played it back in the day but I am massively struggling to maintain interest in this. I have to play it in short bursts or I just get bored. I have got to the Hospital and beaten up Nora and just hope things will improve as it seems more heavy on human enemies rather than infected. Ellie I just fine boring to play and I haven't controlled Abby for ages so right now I couldn't care less about her. I guess I am waiting for that kick in the face from a story perspective about why Abby has done what she has done.

It really doesn't help that the controls are trademark Naughty Dog ala uttery crap. For some reason Ellie keeps looking away as I pan around (the controller is fine), and that weapon select UI is a disaster.

I just have zero interest in any character really and I think I've been spoilt by Days Gone as a zombie basher.

Back
Top Bottom