Help! Why is my upload speed so S-L-O-W

Soldato
I've recently move back into the Stone Age 'Broadband Wise' Only Copper available, serving me 2-6meg down and only 0.35meg upload!! Not enough for today's modern online life!

Swindon is getting Full Fibre (Fibrehop and TalkTalk) but it's not available in my area just yet! So...

I've moved over to BT's 4G-Home Broadband 30meg down (no upload guarantee)... Damn expensive I know, but it's all I can get!!

I've had it a week, and I'm getting 18-24meg download, but my upload is still 0.3-0.7meg! I've tested different cables, and even tried WiFi (5 and 2.4ghz) looked in the Router settings etc... but I can't find anything to help! and my google-foo is letting me down!

My PC is (not blistering) AMD 3400G, 32Gb PC3000/DDR4, 512Gb NvME, Running Windows 11 (but is was slow running Windows 10, so I don't think it's this!!)

My old Lenovo Yoga (Win10) gets - 21-24meg down, 6-8meg up - 5Ghz wifi
My Motorola OneVision (Android 11) gets - 25-29meg down, 6-15meg up - 5ghz wifi
My Wifes Nokia 2.4 (Android 11) gets - 22-27meg down, 6-10meg up - 2.4ghz wifi

So I know it's not the Router/Broadband! It's got to be my PC, I've run the Troubleshooters, and even reset the Network!

I do have PIA's VPN on my pc, but even turning that off did nothing!!

I need some help!! is there any settings I may have missed?? anything I can do to get my PC to upload at a decent rate!!?? I'm at a total loss! but I need to be able to work from home occasionally, and 0.7meg upload is not fast enough by a long shot!!

Please can you guys help!?!?

Thanks in advance!!

Soldato
Cancelling doesn't appear to be the answer to the slow upload on that single machine (although it's quite possible that there are more cost-effective options available). The upload speeds you're reporting from the other computers appear to be quite reasonable.

I'd be trying a different OS install on the slow PC. How you go about that will depend on what you have available in the way of spare drives.

I'd slap a spare drive into it and install a fresh version of Windows. Leave it as vanilla as possible and see if the problems persist.

You could also try booting from USB into a Linux Live environment.

If you don't have a drive spare, a small SSD good enough for testing at least can be had for £25.

Soldato
I've recently move back into the Stone Age 'Broadband Wise' Only Copper available, serving me 2-6meg down and only 0.35meg upload!! Not enough for today's modern online life!

Swindon is getting Full Fibre (Fibrehop and TalkTalk) but it's not available in my area just yet! So...

I've moved over to BT's 4G-Home Broadband 30meg down (no upload guarantee)... Damn expensive I know, but it's all I can get!!

I've had it a week, and I'm getting 18-24meg download, but my upload is still 0.3-0.7meg! I've tested different cables, and even tried WiFi (5 and 2.4ghz) looked in the Router settings etc... but I can't find anything to help! and my google-foo is letting me down!

My PC is (not blistering) AMD 3400G, 32Gb PC3000/DDR4, 512Gb NvME, Running Windows 11 (but is was slow running Windows 10, so I don't think it's this!!)

My old Lenovo Yoga (Win10) gets - 21-24meg down, 6-8meg up - 5Ghz wifi
My Motorola OneVision (Android 11) gets - 25-29meg down, 6-15meg up - 5ghz wifi
My Wifes Nokia 2.4 (Android 11) gets - 22-27meg down, 6-10meg up - 2.4ghz wifi

So I know it's not the Router/Broadband! It's got to be my PC, I've run the Troubleshooters, and even reset the Network!

I do have PIA's VPN on my pc, but even turning that off did nothing!!

I need some help!! is there any settings I may have missed?? anything I can do to get my PC to upload at a decent rate!!?? I'm at a total loss! but I need to be able to work from home occasionally, and 0.7meg upload is not fast enough by a long shot!!

Please can you guys help!?!?

Thanks in advance!!

What security software do you have installed on your PC?

Soldato
OP
Even pausing OneDrive it still only gives me 0.7meg up! And there's nothing sucking on my CPU it's bumbling along at 2-4% usage!

I'm debating just flattening it and rebuilding... With Windows 10 (as 11 still has other problems) and just hoping that solves the issue.

Soldato
With your troublesome PC on and experiencing the issues do the other devices which perform reasonably suddenly slow down?

Soldato
You could waste a lot of time searching for other solutions if it is the OS that's hosed.

Installing a fresh copy of Windows far enough for testing takes well under an hour even on a slow machine. If you use a spare drive, or image the existing OS install first, you can easily revert back.

Soldato
For that PC with the upload issue, does the poor speed happen with both cable and Wi-Fi? What network adapters are they both? I remember Killer adapters having issues with W11 but I believe it was fixed in an update.

Soldato
What sort of transfer speed do you get from the old Yoga to this machine? Guessing pretty dire too? I'd agree the with your own and others sentiment on here. It's the machine and you'll spend less time reinstalling a clean OS than trying to get to the bottom of this I suspect. Think of it as a good test for your backup regime. Clean install, verify your backups you keep by moving them back onto the fresh machine and you've given yourself some confidence in your approach.

Back
Top Bottom