Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Hi all! Im just wondering, if there are any problems with swapping existing mechanical HDDs with SSDs (mounted in a suitable caddy in the 4 drive bays) with xpenology?

Edit, or are wd reds fine? In which case, I suppose it's got to be plus or pro to avoid SMR?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi just joined as this seems to be one of the few forums with an active HP Microserver thread :)
I have a couple of N40L microservers running Windows 10. One as a main fileserver and the other as a backup. I have noticed that although I have gigabit internet at home that I am only getting about 75mb download speed on both servers. I can happily transfer files between them at 100MB/s. Other PC's on my network get download speeds of 900+mb wired and upto 400mb wifi so am puzzled as to why the download speed of these servers is so much lower. Anyone any ideas?
Cheers

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Hi just joined as this seems to be one of the few forums with an active HP Microserver thread :)
I have a couple of N40L microservers running Windows 10. One as a main fileserver and the other as a backup. I have noticed that although I have gigabit internet at home that I am only getting about 75mb download speed on both servers. I can happily transfer files between them at 100MB/s. Other PC's on my network get download speeds of 900+mb wired and upto 400mb wifi so am puzzled as to why the download speed of these servers is so much lower. Anyone any ideas?
Cheers
I assume you mean 75 megabits per second download, and that you are able to copy files between them at 100 megabytes per second.

Slow downloads make me think of TCP window auto sizing. High latency networks (which the Internet is) need large TCP window sizes. Windows 10 for sure has auto sizing enabled, but maybe you’ve “fiddled” with the defaults at some point? It’s all managed via the registry or powershell.

Soldato
Probably, but seems priorities are wrong to spend so much on hardware then essentially pirate the software :confused:

Why not Unraid or TrueNAS?

Unfortunately this sub-forum has a somewhat uncomfortable history when it comes to Synology DSM and Xpenology (despite OCUK selling Synology products). For many years it had one of the larger and more active threads discussing stealing DSM and as such many still do exactly that, occasionally someone is still daft enough to openly post about it. Even when the thread eventually got pulled, nobody made it clear that further discussion of stealing DSM would be treated in the same way as any other form of piracy discussion.

Personally I love UnRAID, it's grown over the last decade with my needs and as long as you understand it's IO limitations, it's generally a very good fit for home use. One of the *NAS derivatives is likely better for high IO or if you like ZFS. Nobody should need to steal DSM, but clearly it's still happening.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Not to mention why on earth would you entrust your data to a pirated and unsupported operating system?!?!

Soldato
I've tried a few different solutions in the past on both my microservers (Nas4Free - now XigmaNAS, OpenMediaVault, and plain Ubuntu) but installed Unraid on both servers last Christmas and haven't looked back. Definitely worth the price of entry in my opinion.

Soldato
You could say the same about apple\android\Chinese mobile products.
It's only for game storage.

No, you can’t. You’re stealing Synology’s software and getting it to run on generic hardware using a sketchy boot loader, it frequently breaks when major updates are pushed, no reasonable person thinks stealing DSM or that breaking the core OS regularly and loosing access to your data or passing on security updates till a new loader is released is a good idea. Apple/android generally don’t break during updates leaving you without access to your data like that.

Soldato
I know what he is saying, dsm is built on open source software so if Synology didnt rip that source in the first place for commercial use then they cant complain about others like xpenology ripping them.

Back
Top Bottom