Spec me some Crimpers (snigger)

Soldato
Allo. I'm in the process of making my PC look nice. I've bought some braided 24pin atx and 8 pin pcie cables to make it look nicer, but I'm still not happy as the cables won't sit how I want them to. I want them to curve, so I'll need to shorten one side of cables so they sit flush. I've got no problems with removing the cables, it's just the crimping of the new ends I need a hand with.

So, to that end, spec me a set of crimpers. I don't want to spend a fortune as they won't get a lot of use, *BUT* I would also like to be able to crimp other pins. I'd like to sleeve my own 3 pin fan connectors to tie in with the rest of the build, and if I'm going that far it would be nice to also make the front audio panel and the front power/reset etc cables look nice as well. Hell, may as well do the SATA power cables if I can.

I don't know what terms to search for though - any pointers? I want to crimp 24pin atx and 6 pin pcie power cables AND the smaller 3 pin fan and similar size other types on the mobo as well as SATA power pins! Are there sizes I should search for? Or names? Is there a particular spec of cable I should be using? (Only be shortening the 24 pin and 8 pin leads, not replacing) Many thanks :)

Associate
tbh, i was working with a vanilla set of crimpers found on ebay.. but if you are looking for a quality set, i've heard the IWISS SN-28B is the one to go for.. and from reading online seems the MDPC CTX3 is more or less a direct copy of the SN-28B with a slight modification to the teeth (which can also be done manually to the 28B) and costs 4 times as much as the 28B's.

I managed to find the SN-28B on Aliexpress for around £15

Associate
tbh, i was working with a vanilla set of crimpers found on ebay.. but if you are looking for a quality set, i've heard the IWISS SN-28B is the one to go for.. and from reading online seems the MDPC CTX3 is more or less a direct copy of the SN-28B with a slight modification to the teeth (which can also be done manually to the 28B) and costs 4 times as much as the 28B's.

I managed to find the SN-28B on Aliexpress for around £15

This. I got an orange handled “DuPont crimping tool set” from the auction site for 15-20 quid I think. Has done everything I needed so far.

For the wire, I find the silicone coated wire to be too soft, so have just used hook up wire. The flip side is that apparently some of that is too hard for the crimps to bite into although I’ve not found that myself. I bought some wire from a site that they claim is designed to be used as PSU ATX wires; to me if seems quite hard coating but I’ve not used it yet.

Back
Top Bottom