What is your car(s) and how much did you pay for it/them.

Caporegime
Volvo V70 D5 S, 182 bhp six speed, changed from my 163 bhp D5 which needed more than its value to get through the next MOT, love this “new” one so far, much more go than the last one - at a massive hit in mpg (50+ compared to ~37 with this one) that said, the performance is night and day better, so much smoother than the old one which I thought was a decent example yet this one tells me actually it wasn’t….

Cost me £2k

Soldato
2012 fiesta - cost us around £7k 6 years ago, difficult to justify getting rid of it as its cost so little to keep but is pretty much just sitting around beginning to rust now.

Also now have a 2014 Cmax which was free to us and despite being true white goods motoring does absolutely everything for a family so impossible to complain about it really.

I've been looking at the ioniq 5 on salary sacrifice but lack of driving at the moment makes it a complete waste of time and money despite the "good" value through tax savings.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
1995 Saab 900 SE turbo with 176k - Free in 2009 (still going, running on cash injection)
2020 Mini Clubman Cooper S with 7k - £24.5k in June 2021

Associate
A 2010 Mini Cooper S (N18) in mid 2016 for 8k. I've put about 2k into it fixing things over the years, not including regular servicing costs.

The paint is knackered at the front, the Aircon doesn't work and if I go too fast round a roundabout the low oil light comes on. The 17" wheels are a nightmare on our crap roads, the boot space is a joke and the tech in it is crap. Good fun to drive though!

Soldato
2014 Fiesta ST-2 with MP215 Mountune kit. Bought in December 2017 for £9.5k.

That's a really good price for 3 years old with MP215. How did you manage to get it for that? Or was that a typical price when you bought it?

Probably haven't lost much if you decided to sell it now! Could maybe sell it for £6-7k depending on mileage?

Soldato
2008 Honda Civic 1.8 Type S bought in 2018 for £2.5k with 88k miles. Spent some money getting the AC back working and couple of longer life wear and tear items but it's probably been the least drama/cost of ownership since my first car...so far

Soldato
That's a really good price for 3 years old with MP215. How did you manage to get it for that? Or was that a typical price when you bought it?

Probably haven't lost much if you decided to sell it now! Could maybe sell it for £6-7k depending on mileage?

It was close to 4 years old, registered in January 2014 and I bought in December 2017 and it was a fairly high miler when I bought it. It was on about 70k. U I have only added 15k to it though since I bought it.

It came with almost all ST-3 options too, the only one missing is climate control.

Soldato
My 1st car was back in 1989, an Audi 5 cylinder Coupe, purchased for £2100 and sold it around 6 weeks later for £1750, no idea on the mileage.

Next was a 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Type-S, purchased in 2004 for £16k with 13k miles on it, part-exed it in 2017 with 85k miles and got £1.5k against the car below. Could have got more selling privately but I simply couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of trying to sell it.

Current car is a 2015 BMW 335i, purchased in 2017 with I think 34k miles for £25k minus the £1.5k above.

Caporegime
I had an s2k absolutely loved it.
Got written off in a horrendous accident I could have died in by some idiot.

Went for a 3k auto Peugeot. Pretty good for what it is.

Life got practical. And tbh I couldn't just have the s2k anyway.

Between body boards, kayaks, etc it just was impossible to have just a 2 seater.

At same time as write off I developed a knee issue switched to an auto. Probably never go back even though knee is fine now.

Now I'm in a financially better position (could afford a tesla on ppc) but with WFH any new car would be a ridiculous waste of money.
When that money could be invested.

I feel unfortunately I've lost my love of cars. Because as much as I'd love an 2 seateragain (for example) I know it would be a massive waste of money.
Well, a new car would as it would never get used. Maybe an old s2k would be better. Gaining value etc.
I use to get envious of people driving fancy cars. Not so much anymore.

There's also the electric revolution. I want an electric. But that's anew car and a waste in my circumstances

Tldr
Old auto. Peugeot

Last edited:
Soldato
Current cars in the order I bought them:

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - bought new by my dad for ~ £22k - he has moved back to Greece so it now lives with me and I am doing a bit of a restoration on it for rust etc.
2012 Fiat 500 - bought new for the wife in 2012 for £10.5k - originally financed to take advantage of dealer deposit deal. Paid off in full once the early payment penalty wasn't an issue.
2008 Peugeot 407 - bought in 2015 for £2400 - paid cash - done around 100k miles in it mostly fault free. My true daily.
2016 Subaru WRX STI - bought new in 2016 for £27.5k - originally financed on PCP with a decent deposit for low monthly payments. Paid it off in full after the PCP deal ended.
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type UK - bought in 2021 as a toy (lots of nice mods) for £11K - paid cash/bank transfer
1999 Peugeot 306 GTi-6 - bought in 2021 with friends for £3.5k-ish - paid cash/bank transfer - we're doing a mini refresh on it to make it as clean as possible, but still driving and enjoying it.

If I had to buy a new daily car now on monthly payments it would have to be an electric car, makes financial sense. Reality is I likely won't buy a new new car for some time again and will end up with another cheap to run car when the 407 dies.

Back
Top Bottom