Contracting - identifying marketable skills?

Soldato
You could think about whether you could produce a viable "information product" that you could sell over the internet, e.g. a guide to becoming a MVHR installer or something. Or run an online course. It's a question of whether you have any expertise that you could package.

See:

https://www.smartpassiveincome.com/learn/online-courses/

The guy behind this had some sort of technical training product that he sold in his early days of being an entrepreneur.

Soldato
You could think about whether you could produce a viable "information product" that you could sell over the internet, e.g. a guide to becoming a MVHR installer or something. Or run an online course. It's a question of whether you have any expertise that you could package.

See:

The guy behind this had some sort of technical training product that he sold in his early days of being an entrepreneur.
Is this the food truck guy? Isn't he like a gazillionaire now?

Caporegime
You could think about whether you could produce a viable "information product"

"Information product"? Like a book? :D

Just kidding, though there was a guy at a former workplace who did write a (technical) book that was well regarded for the particular area it was written for... he was respected by other techies and by the company and I think they knew full well that he had a bit of a rep and potential for offers from other firms so made sure he was well looked after. The value there wasn't just the royalties from the book itself but the enhanced rep, the signalling of his abilities to others etc.. which, in terms of lifetime earnings, probably eclipsed whatever he actually earned from the book itself.

Though for direct income I think the online course thing can be a nice moneymaker, especially if there is an area not already well covered. It might be difficult for someone to try a "how to build a website" or "learn python with me" type course unless they had a really good spin on it as those markets are no doubt saturated. A friend of mine did mention the other week that someone at his work had a side gig running a data science course with an online training provider and earning a, certainly not to be sniffed at, low 5 figure sum from it.

I guess if there is an area that isn't well covered then a course of some sort isn't a bad shout for a side hustle - perhaps stuff relating to the domain itself, as you've suggested (MVHR etc..) or indeed maybe a guide to (engineering) product management - I presume (but don't know/haven't checked) that lots of product management content out there relates more to IT/software.

Soldato
Is this the food truck guy? Isn't he like a gazillionaire now?

Yes it is. I haven't really followed him for the last few years, but he was a smart guy and I expect he's done well.

To the OP:

- Can you make anything that would sell? E.g. can you make nice lighting pieces from driftwood and sell them to local shops?

- Do you have a skill that people would pay to attend a class on? Then try and run class at local community or sports centre. E.g. circuit training course, introduction to woodworking class.

Soldato
OP
Sorry everyone for the belated reply. There was a lot to read and take in.

In general, I have been applying for jobs here and there, particularly based on dowie's comment below that I could pivot relatively easily. I'd have no problem learning a whole load of new techonlogy-related stuff as my brain is already wired that way from loving computers.

We'll see if anything comes to fruition. What I'd love is to be offered a pay rise that my current company just couldn't match so the logic would be more like, we can't even compete so we won't bother. Then I could leave with a clear conscience.

Oh jeez, that's solid enough... "middle management" might have just been managing a team of admin people or managing a help desk etc.. you're not just responsible for leading a team but you're the "owner" of a product... or a mini CEO as some product manager's with silly egos like to claim :D

But seriously there should be plenty of salaried product manager roles out there, you don't necessarily need to go contracting simply jumping ship to another perm/PAYE role might get you the boost in pay you're after.

And in that case, I'm not sure you need to focus too much on the technical skills in terms of "doing" those things but more just highlight that you've got a track record of delivering stuff on time and a general awareness/understanding of tech and the ability to manage/lead a team of technical people & own a particular product.

(Alternatively, if you were looking for a career change then an engineering degree is going to be generally well regarded, you could look at tech-related roles like software engineering, data analysis/data science or IT security... I mention those sorts of things because, unlike some areas where there are formal requirements/gatekeeping from professional bodies etc.. those sorts of tech roles can be relatively straightforward for smart people to self-learn and pivot into.)

Hah, thanks. I don't actually want to contract, I was just trying to think of ways to earn more money whilst retaining my job. Thank you for the advice about pivoting.

Dowie has nailed it in his post above. Every Product Manager role will have its nuance but at the core it sounds like you can easily demonstrate your care/love for the thing you are currently product owner for... already miles ahead of most product owners :D

SMA = Subject Matter Advisor. Glorified teacher. SMA's tend to be part time hence 1 day a week wouldn't sound so bonkers.

No dig at you regarding "make ends meet", it just makes it clear to your current employer that you are genuinely just after the cash - no other nebulous requirement. That makes it an easy problem for them to solve for you :D

Ah thanks. I'll have a look into SMEs.

That is an easy problem to solve, but one they just don't seem to want to enter into. I negotiated away my bonus for a permenant pay rise this year, which has worked in my favour, but the fact that I had to do it was irritating.

See:

I have no product to sell sadly. I've had not sudden lighting strike idea in the shower. I'll take a look at that link though, thank you.

I guess if there is an area that isn't well covered then a course of some sort isn't a bad shout for a side hustle - perhaps stuff relating to the domain itself, as you've suggested (MVHR etc..) or indeed maybe a guide to (engineering) product management - I presume (but don't know/haven't checked) that lots of product management content out there relates more to IT/software.

It is virtually all IT sadly.

Yes it is. I haven't really followed him for the last few years, but he was a smart guy and I expect he's done well.

To the OP:

- Can you make anything that would sell? E.g. can you make nice lighting pieces from driftwood and sell them to local shops?

- Do you have a skill that people would pay to attend a class on? Then try and run class at local community or sports centre. E.g. circuit training course, introduction to woodworking class.

No and I doubt it, unless they want excel training I suppose!

Soldato
What you need to some multiple passive revenue streams.
I think contracting or anything that need you to be directly hands on, becomes unsustainable while trying to do a full time job as well.

Caporegime
What you need to some multiple passive revenue streams.
I think contracting or anything that need you to be directly hands on, becomes unsustainable while trying to do a full time job as well.

That’s a dubious generalisation given there are plenty of people who clearly do sustain second jobs, part time businesses/side hustles etc..

If you just have a browse on this sub form there is another poster detailing his efforts, in his spare time, to launch an app. And AFAIK it’s not his first rodeo either, he has it had a some other projects on the go too.

Soldato
That’s a dubious generalisation given there are plenty of people who clearly do sustain second jobs, part time businesses/side hustles etc..

If you just have a browse on this sub form there is another poster detailing his efforts, in his spare time, to launch an app. And AFAIK it’s not his first rodeo either, he has it had a some other projects on the go too.

But they are not directly hands on. Apps will generate passive income once established, as I assume will his other projects. That ironically is exactly what I'm talking about. It also mostly done in his free time.

What won't work (or be very difficult) is a second job where you are contracting your skills, your time. That will most likely have to happen during business hours, exactly at the same time when you do your main job.

It would have to be something that doesn't overlap timewise. Teaching in the evening, weekends etc. or passive income.

Caporegime
But they are not directly hands on.

Apps will generate passive income once established, as I assume will his other projects. That ironically is exactly what I'm talking about. It also mostly done in his free time.

I didn't just mention apps though and it isn't necessarily that simple - I'm not sure he's going to just develop an app and then never update it, fix bugs etc..

What won't work (or be very difficult) is a second job where you are contracting your skills, your time. That will most likely have to happen during business hours, exactly at the same time when you do your main job.

It would have to be something that doesn't overlap timewise. Teaching in the evening, weekends etc. or passive income.

Well, second jobs generally don't overlap time-wise - the notion that a second job won't work is simply shown to be false by the many people who have second jobs. Like I said plenty of people do maintain second jobs, part-time businesses, side hustles etc. this isn't some hypothetical claim, these people exist and already do this ergo it's false to say it is unsustainable.

Soldato
All I said was be careful they don't over lap. Because if they do it can become a problem, and suggestions how to avoid this.

I didn't say doing ANY kind of a side gig is unstainable. :rolleyes:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
You would be surprised how much small contract CAD work is available and how many people still use AUTOCAD. You need to be careful in your pricing structure so you do not end up spending unpaid hrs doing little updates the customer expects for free.

The work you are after wont be outsourced to INDIA you are more end up fixing what they have done. Their is very little skill in using the package, all the skill is in using to package to make something that actually works :)

Caporegime
anything that need you to be directly hands on, becomes unsustainable while trying to do a full time job as well.

I didn't say doing ANY kind of a side gig is unstainable. :rolleyes:

I'm just pointing out that plenty of people have second jobs that's all, second jobs or side hustles etc.. and they side hustles certainly aren't all about earning passive income - they can indeed be hands-on (and a second job is inherently so).

I mean some people do unpaid volunteer work even alongside a regular job - I just think this notion of it being unsustainable is a bit silly that's all. The main issue, assuming you're the sort of person who is happy and able to use your spare time in this way, perhaps conflicts with your main employer - checking your contract etc...

Soldato
I give up.

If you think an 80hr+ week is preferable over some form of passive income or multiple micro incomes who am I to argue.

Passive income is income that requires minimal labor to earn and maintain. It is called progressive passive income when the earner expends little effort to grow the income. Examples of passive income include rental income and any business activities in which the earner does not materially participate.

I get the point some people like to busy all the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
You would be surprised how much small contract CAD work is available and how many people still use AUTOCAD. You need to be careful in your pricing structure so you do not end up spending unpaid hrs doing little updates the customer expects for free.

The work you are after wont be outsourced to INDIA you are more end up fixing what they have done. Their is very little skill in using the package, all the skill is in using to package to make something that actually works :)

Curious what are you using Autocad for. A very long time ago in an earlier career I did all the Certs for it and some 3D Max but ended up drifting away from it. I wouldn't go back to it but when you say make some thing "work" what do you mean.

I started on early Autocad DOS versions and a program called Autodesk Animator with Renderman if you've heard of that. Brings me back.

Caporegime
I give up.

If you think an 80hr+ week is preferable over some form of passive income or multiple micro incomes who am I to argue.

I get the point some people like to busy all the time.

That isn’t what I said, I didn’t say anything about one being preferable nor did I mention anything about 80 hours a week or wanting to be busy all the time. I simply objected to the notion one was unsustainable, to say so is simply false and for some reason you’re now pretending I’ve argued something entirely different? Why?

Im sure a decent passive income is a very nice thing to have, lots of people have a small, low effort passive income from stock market investments. Building yourself a passive income from other sources can take rather a lot of effort and is easier said than done and some things that look like they might be ‘passive’ aren’t necessarily.. even being a landlord.

But that isn’t to say I’m arguing against building a passive income, it’s a possible (but by no means guaranteed) option and could be quite a nice one if it works out.

Soldato
Did I kick your kitten or something.
Lots of people have suggested alternative to salaried work. Not just me.
I would suggest rather than "nice" there are valid boring practical reasons.

Anyway good luck with it OP. Hope it works out.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Curious what are you using Autocad for. A very long time ago in an earlier career I did all the Certs for it and some 3D Max but ended up drifting away from it. I wouldn't go back to it but when you say make some thing "work" what do you mean.

I started on early Autocad DOS versions and a program called Autodesk Animator with Renderman if you've heard of that. Brings me back.

Building trade still use it, small time jobs extensions that sort of thing. I did a fair few foreigners for one man band architects who wanted basic plans. Was always quicker to model it up in 3D and charge them a extra £100 for more views that took 5mins to do :)

Back
Top Bottom