Greta Thunberg

Soldato
Don't have a meal planner. We buy mostly seasonal fruits and vegetables and inexpensive meat items. Plenty of cheap herbs and spices available. We also grow some vegeteables and herbs.

So, you spend the same as I do each week but you grow veg and herbs. So, how is a vegan diet more expensive? And, as I’ve demonstrated, you don’t have to eat the same stuff. I appreciate some stuff is certainly more expensive, oat milk for example is a fair bit more than dairy milk. However in my experience I’m spending a lot less than when I ate meat and fish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not start your own post about it and stay on topic for this thread.

Yes, advocating shifting to a plant based diet and demonstrating how it is cheap, flavourful and varied is definitely off topic in a thread about climate change. :rolleyes:

Anyway, stop picking and choosing who you try to silence. I was responding to a non plant based dieter who said it wasn’t varied and very expensive. Why not criticise him for being off topic?

Soldato
The sooner they have a carbon credit card - you spend you carbon allowance on long haul flights, or meat, petrol, you choose.

Soldato
I would love to speak to the manager of veganism and ask why all of its members act like it is a multi-level marketing scheme.

The sooner they have a carbon credit card - you spend you carbon allowance on long haul flights, or meat, petrol, you choose.
That's an interesting way to move the problem from those in control to everyday citizens.

Soldato
This whole Cop26 thing seems to be about Carbon offsetting which is proven not to work, polluting now and planting a few small trees that they'll probably rip out and concrete over with houses in 10 years time doesn't solve the problem. Its all lip service.

Soldato
Risking coming across as an uncultured slob I have to admit I would need to Google half of that stuff to find out what the hell it is.

I did myself salmon, baked potatoes and fresh vegetables for dinner. Bacon, lamb's liver, tomato and egg was breakfast. But I'll ask my cattle kindly not to fart tomorrow in recompense :)

A lot of it isn't very nice in my opinion, good to try but it is expensive if you try and make the things you are used to but veganise them.

Soldato
Scientifically fixed your mis-information for you. :)

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/omnivore/

I already said in my post our ancestors OCCASIONALLY ate meat - you missed that.

However as it was 99% majorly overwhelmingly plant based, we evolved to fit the available diet.

Your post is heavily trying to impose that omnivore must also include more meat or at least 50/50..............if you want to eat healthy though, and eating healthy literally means eating what our bodies evolved to run on - you would be eating 99% plants only - this is fact, in the modern age where I don't have to go find food in a forest, its really not much of a stretch to go that extra 1% - I can give up v v v occasional meat because I am self aware modern farming practices are cruel & induce suffering, I'm also aware the amount of humans on the planet is disproportional to what nature intended (so to speak).

Of course, we are a wildly successful species, but with that we also gained the tools to become self aware of the cost of our success, its a double edged knife, I choose not to contribute to a clear and present problem - I choose that, because the mathematics checks out - earth cannot sustain this level of meat eating - it really is that simple and black and white.

I met a middle ground between trying to reduce env harm, & not sacrificing my own entire life, i.e. I still have to drive to earn money, I'm aware my vehicle causes env damage, but I must exist unfortunately in the capitalist hierarchy our society functions on.....I don't like that's how the world works, but I still must exist within in, and survive - I can however give up stuff that has zero effect on my life (in fact my health has improved removing animal products, my weight went down, my cholesterol is amazing, I have more energy, I have a more stable mood in general etc etc)

Soldato
This whole Cop26 thing seems to be about Carbon offsetting which is proven not to work, polluting now and planting a few small trees that they'll probably rip out and concrete over with houses in 10 years time doesn't solve the problem. Its all lip service.

Absolutely, nothing is going to change enough or in time. A good grasp on what is needed is they have said the reduction we saw last year of 1.9 billion tonness of CO2, due to the lockdowns and reduced consumption, would need to be virtually replicated every single year for the next 20 years to reach our net zero target and keep warming to just 1.5C by 2050.

And already emmissions have shot up to near pre-pandemic levels, with reports that oil & gas production will soar over the next decade.

Caporegime
LOLZ, what a couple of ass hats.

But the point is great. The dog doesn't understand what is right and wrong. He eats what he has evolved to eat through thousands of year. Humans seems to forget we have evolved over tens of thousands of years with meat in our diet. You cannot just switch off that tap over night without complications in health.

Soldato
good point - we've forgotten about mans tastiest friend - greta has several ?

51654181648_40f57b0dc6_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Nature - predators evolved behaviours & biological systems to eat them (massive meat shredding teeth, short intestinal tracks, dichromatic vision), all of them also lack higher brain function to understand morality in the context of nature vs breeding species to kill.

Humans on the other hand have the exact opposite evolutionary traits, specifically evolved for a plant based diet, grinding molar teeth, huge intestinal tracks (needed for plants), trichromatic vision (evolved for colour recognition in plants)

You can sit there all you like in 2021 thinking you're a carnivore, but you are simply not, you've just been socially conditioned to think meats essential - also with say 50000 years of ancestors to you - who OCCASIONALLY, (i.e. hyper rare) ate some meat, 99% of the diet is plant based - in fact I read in new scientist recently your average caveman ate some 100 grams of fibre per day - modern humans eat 10-15 grams maybe (I hit around double that)

Sure in the past couple thousand years meat consumption has gradually increased, but thats literally nothing compared to 2 million years of modern homosapian evolution.

As no ocuk forums have existed for 2 million years you can only look at science - and, its quite clear - we are plant eaters.

Fun fact, there is 12 things missing from humans that we MUST get from our diet to survive - all 12 are found in plants - literally every single plant as well, from lettuce to apples the 12 NEEDED amino acids are in basically every plant that exists.

We need literally nothing from meat - there is no molecule or essential amino acid or nutrient from meat humans need - odd that - its almost as if we evolved to eat the things that are essential to us ??????

And no, B12 comes from bacteria - absolutely nothing to do with meat - B12 is found in ground water, rivers, etc - its almost as if our species evolved on a planet where water didn't come out of a tap for the past 2 million years.
The lack of meat is making you thought process wonky

Back
Top Bottom