Do you like Christmas music in shops?

Soldato
Just left TK Maxx and alternatively playing Christmas music and normal music. Probably going to all Christmas music in Dec. My work plays the awful music from Dec 1.

Even before I worked in retail, i didn’t like Christmas music in shops. I felt so sorry for the staff. Plus it doesn’t put me into the festive mood.

Even at my work, customers don’t want the music. An executive decision made by those who don’t work with Noddy screaming It’s Christmas several times a day at their workplace. Also think there’s hardly any new stuff comes out so those songs by Slade, Wizzard, Cliff, Mud etc - we are fed up with them even after hearing them for the first time! Saw one lady rolling her eyes when she heard Mistletoe and W(h)ine and said to her OH “for god’s sake”

No other time of year are so few songs played to death.

When I get home from work in Dec, I have to put on some rock music to keep my mind going. When I am still working after store closes, we take it in turns to play our music on our phones. through the tannoy as using it stops the music. Just have something to keep tannoy button down.

Soldato
Hell no. Its bad enough for the short time I'm in a shop. If I had to work there I'd definitely get a bit stabby - whether that was the loudspeakers or whichever knobber put it on in the first place would be the only question.

Associate
i love all things Christmassy. stop being miserable sods. though i do feel for shop staff who can't get away from the same loop of songs!
As an ex shop worker you kind of have to learn to block out all the music (and noise) year round - the playlist at Christmas is actually one of the shorter lived ones in most of the places I've worked before. The endless repeat of the 'normal' music during the rest of the year was worse for me.

Soldato
I like it in December, but then I hardly visit shops these days anyway.

I wonder if thats the reason so few people visit shops these days its fixated in the minds of the higher ups that somehow cosy xmas music will bring back the punters or something. Fortunately as i rarely visit shops other than supermarkets I don't have to listen to the same songs on repeat every day for the nigh on two months.

Soldato
I wonder if thats the reason so few people visit shops these days its fixated in the minds of the higher ups that somehow cosy xmas music will bring back the punters or something. Fortunately as i rarely visit shops other than supermarkets I don't have to listen to the same songs on repeat every day for the nigh on two months.

I rarely go to shops all year tbh, order everything online and spend my spare time doing better things.

Soldato
As an ex shop worker you kind of have to learn to block out all the music (and noise) year round - the playlist at Christmas is actually one of the shorter lived ones in most of the places I've worked before. The endless repeat of the 'normal' music during the rest of the year was worse for me.
yea i never actually thought of it that way. so the Chrimbo playlist is actually a welcome break from the monotony that is played the rest of the year. well that screws the op's standpoint then :p

Soldato
OP
I try to block it, but if a customer mentions it, I can hear it clearly :mad::mad:. Or if we have a brief quiet second, it has to be one of the worst songs playing

Could be down to online shopping. Cheaper, no crowds, no screaming kids, stay dry (it’s it’s raining) and goods not handled by dozens of customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Just left TK Maxx and alternatively playing Christmas music and normal music. Probably going to all Christmas music in Dec. My work plays the awful music from Dec 1.

Even before I worked in retail, i didn’t like Christmas music in shops. I felt so sorry for the staff. Plus it doesn’t put me into the festive mood.

Even at my work, customers don’t want the music. An executive decision made by those who don’t work with Noddy screaming It’s Christmas several times a day at their workplace. Also think there’s hardly any new stuff comes out so those songs by Slade, Wizzard, Cliff, Mud etc - we are fed up with them even after hearing them for the first time! Saw one lady rolling her eyes when she heard Mistletoe and W(h)ine and said to her OH “for god’s sake”

No other time of year are so few songs played to death.

When I get home from work in Dec, I have to put on some rock music to keep my mind going. When I am still working after store closes, we take it in turns to play our music on our phones. through the tannoy as using it stops the music. Just have something to keep tannoy button down.

Love it - used to work in Woolworths during my colleage years, and always loved the Christmas tunes playing away - it certainly never took any of the joy of playing them at home away. Frankly, it's just miserable gits who don't like the 70s and 80s Christmas belters :D

Back
Top Bottom