Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Associate
I think some people just haven't had the experience you have. For example, I don't think I've had one app crash and I'm getting (a projected) 11 hours SOT...

which is why I described things in relative terms (vs my previous experiences with other phones) rather than in absolute terms. I'm sure there are other people that have app crashes if it happened to me. The fact it happens at all is an issue. The frequency which you are referring to is a seperate issue. My SoT is actual. I never had 11h SoC on any device. Best SoT I've had was on OP7t ~7h any other phone was ~5h pixel included. which is borderline annoying / under one day. Although less of an issue these post-covid wfh / remote days.

Soldato
Coming from Oneplus 7t the only gripes I have are the fingerprint sensor which can be a little bit hit and miss, and also the weight/bulk of the phone - it can't be used completely one handed.

None of the above merits RMA; there's always little gripes with a new phone and it risks blowing these things out of proportion because it ultimately detracts from the positives:

• Automatic brightness works as it should
  • Battery performance is terrific
  • I'm back to having the latest software
  • Assistant seems to be much improved
  • A killer price for the P6
Free headphones!

Associate
...and then said anyone that likes it has been brainwashed by marketing...

Exactly, me neither. Pretty amazing I would say.

But you never got 11h SoT so not quite sure what you are talking about. Projected means as much as me saying I pledge to give you £2b. In other words doesn't mean much.

I've never said "anyone that likes it has been brainwashed by marketing" so stop making things up for the sake of an argument. If you like ithe phone, good for you. Enjoy it.

Soldato
I'm sharing some of my thoughts about Pixel 6 which I’ve been using for a week. I’m coming from Oneplus 7T, Samsung S21 ultra and Oneplus 8t

• Fingerprint sensor. It’s very slow and doesn’t always register. Very frustrating considering how often every uses it. This on its own is a reason for me to return the phone
  • No face unlock!? Major omission. You don’t know what you have until you lose it. Found it very convenient on OP phones
  • Ergonomics. The phone feels bulky, cumbersome and heavy to hold. Having used a few large phones (6.5''+) I found that narrow, slim and under 200g is an ideal sweet spot for me. But also distribution of weight and shape plays some role. Pixel fails in every aspect which is why it feels so awkward in a hand. Squared corners are anything but ergonomic. It’s thick and heavy too. The official silicone case makes it even worse.
  • Screen. While it looks good it just feels cheap to touch. It's difficult to explain but it feels plasticy. Sensitivity is also bad. All my previous phones register touches and moves with very little pressure. It's not the case with P6. It's much worse with the screen protector on.
  • OS user experience. It baffles me how a company that makes the OS and hardware cannot get both singing and dancing right. Apps crashing! Never had that with any other phone. Overall lack of fluidity and snappiness. OP8t is in a different league in comparison. It’s not the refresh rate as I had OP7t (90hz) before and that was snappier too.
  • Camera. Overall it’s pretty good but quite often inconsistent. Most of the time I found it better than OP. Video is just average. There is no macro or zoom. So all in all hit and miss.
  • Battery is mediocre. Standby time is terrible 1% per hour drop. OP8t was giving me 7-8h SoT but P6 is more like 5h or less.

Overall, I’m very disappointed and really baffled why this phone is praised so much. I guess lots of marketing $$$ on a hype train. Needless to say that I’m returning it. Actually, there is zero doubts in my head about this which is quite unusual for me. My Oneplus 8t with its drawbacks feels superior in every way except the camera but even that isn’t across the board.

Sounds like you have a faulty one or looking for reasons to return.

Not heard of any of those issues. Maybe you have a rouge app that is causing your crashes or slow downs

I get the weight thing, but that just takes time to adjust

Soldato
But you never got 11h SoT so not quite sure what you are talking about. Projected means as much as me saying I pledge to give you £2b. In other words doesn't mean much.

Not it's not. If I've got 5.5 hours SOT from 50%, that projects that I could get 11 hours SOT from the full charge. It's not just a random number made up, as you suggest.

I've never said "anyone that likes it has been brainwashed by marketing" so stop making things up for the sake of an argument. If you like ithe phone, good for you. Enjoy it.

Not those exact words but you said you don't understand why anybody is praising the phone. It must be the marketing...

Soldato
Not it's not. If I've got 5.5 hours SOT from 50%, that projects that I could get 11 hours SOT from the full charge. It's not just a random number made up, as you suggest.

Not those exact words but you said you don't understand why anybody is praising the phone. It must be the marketing...
You can't extrapolate battery like that. If you want proper results then you have to do a full test.

Battery percentages aren't all calibrated equally between models and manufacturers.

Associate
Sounds like you have a faulty one or looking for reasons to return.

Not heard of any of those issues. Maybe you have a rouge app that is causing your crashes or slow downs

I get the weight thing, but that just takes time to adjust

It's not faulty. And what that has to do with things like ergonomics and fingerprint reader. No doubts somone is going to say all this (incl. ergonomics) will be fixed in the upcoming (pledged) update ;)

Associate
You can't extrapolate battery like that. If you want proper results then you have to do a full test.

Battery percentages aren't all calibrated equally between models and manufacturers.

and not just one test but multiple tests. Ideally out and about. Rather than sitting in the dim room latched onto one mast or to wifi only in airplane mode.

Soldato
I did a test, it came up one of the best results out of about 80 devices. I've got accubattery projections which are some of the best I've ever seen and I've used it day to day for a week and have some of the best battery performance I've ever had...

**EDIT** btw, I set the increased screen sensitivity setting and it seems to have really helped with the fingerprint sensor. I'm not sure I've had one fail yet all day

Associate
Yours ..hit me up in trust.
For some reason my trust isn't working, can't seem to login with my forum password. Maybe I don't have enough posts as of yet, if so I'm happy to pass this offer up and onto someone else. Thanks again for the offer Columbo, much appreciated!

Soldato
I'm sharing some of my thoughts about Pixel 6 which I’ve been using for a week. I’m coming from Oneplus 7T, Samsung S21 ultra and Oneplus 8t

• Fingerprint sensor. It’s very slow and doesn’t always register. Very frustrating considering how often every uses it. This on its own is a reason for me to return the phone
  • No face unlock!? Major omission. You don’t know what you have until you lose it. Found it very convenient on OP phones
  • Ergonomics. The phone feels bulky, cumbersome and heavy to hold. Having used a few large phones (6.5''+) I found that narrow, slim and under 200g is an ideal sweet spot for me. But also distribution of weight and shape plays some role. Pixel fails in every aspect which is why it feels so awkward in a hand. Squared corners are anything but ergonomic. It’s thick and heavy too. The official silicone case makes it even worse.
  • Screen. While it looks good it just feels cheap to touch. It's difficult to explain but it feels plasticy. Sensitivity is also bad. All my previous phones register touches and moves with very little pressure. It's not the case with P6. It's much worse with the screen protector on.
  • OS user experience. It baffles me how a company that makes the OS and hardware cannot get both singing and dancing right. Apps crashing! Never had that with any other phone. Overall lack of fluidity and snappiness. OP8t is in a different league in comparison. It’s not the refresh rate as I had OP7t (90hz) before and that was snappier too.
  • Camera. Overall it’s pretty good but quite often inconsistent. Most of the time I found it better than OP. Video is just average. There is no macro or zoom. So all in all hit and miss.
  • Battery is mediocre. Standby time is terrible 1% per hour drop. OP8t was giving me 7-8h SoT but P6 is more like 5h or less.

Overall, I’m very disappointed and really baffled why this phone is praised so much. I guess lots of marketing $$$ on a hype train. Needless to say that I’m returning it. Actually, there is zero doubts in my head about this which is quite unusual for me. My Oneplus 8t with its drawbacks feels superior in every way except the camera but even that isn’t across the board.
I've come from a OP 7T and I agree with most of your points. I tried holding my 7T again last night and found it more pleasant to hold, probably due to just feeling a bit slimmer and more lightweight. The P6 is certainly more 'blocky', and I really agree with your sensitivity observation, I have loads of failed taps which are quite annoying. Note using a screen protector yet.

I'm less down on the OS UI to you, no issues for me really apart from I don't love the aesthetic of 12.0 so far, and fight a few bits fiddly. But overall I like it.

I'm still seeing it as an upgrade overall, mostly due to performance, battery life and camera. My 7T certainly had waning battery life and some fairly significant lag and stuttering at times. Is the P6 a big upgrade compared to a brand new 7T even? Maybe not... But at 599 I'm happy to keep it.

Back
Top Bottom