• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
So you admit you were wrong and you're now confirming what I said? Good. Although you did go back and edited your old posts to make yourself look less clueless, but whatever.

Like I said, higher bandwidth, and more efficient bandwidth utilisation, which helped improve scaling of multithreaded memory intensive FP tasks in DDR5 compared to DDR4, as Anandtech said so in the review.

But the CPU and platform Z690 is dual channel ... I know DDR5 has taken the full channel and doubled it inside the modules, but this halfs the data to both, but again is a more efficent way as "one channel" can read while other is writing for example.

Associate
I'll tell you what, AMD marketing is legendary, here we have a new chip that has taken the performance and gaming crown and half of you are whining about efficiency.. crazy stuff !

Associate
My gosh i been busy all day and not read any reviews yet but going by some comments on various forums its like alderlake makes zen3 look like bulldozer all over again.
Is not that big a lead is it?

To be fair it does win more than it loses but with caveats at the cost of efficiency and heat. But the wins when you dig deep are sometimes just a few percent and helped by DDR5 and Windows 11. Windows 10 it looks a different animal. So in a way well done Intel, you're back in the ballpark but at what cost.

Associate
Which becomes less and less relevant as the resolution increases. Gaming performance on archaic resolutions really is a pointless metric these days.

It's done for cpu benchmarks to show performance differences of the cpu only. If you go up to 4k, and the 3080 you're benching with is at 100%, altering the CPU isn't going to do much and may show all of them at 50fps, making it look like changing the CPU is doing nothing. Putting it right down low shows what changing the cpu will really do, and carries forwards later on when you change to a better GPU that stops being the bottleneck.

If your GPU can only pump through 50fps, it doesn't matter if the cpu is 10x better, it'll still just show 50fps.

OcUK Staff
To be fair it does win more than it loses but with caveats at the cost of efficiency and heat. But the wins when you dig deep are sometimes just a few percent and helped by DDR5 and Windows 11. Windows 10 it looks a different animal. So in a way well done Intel, you're back in the ballpark but at what cost.
Ddr5 has almost nothing to do with it...

Soldato
But the CPU and platform Z690 is dual channel ... I know DDR5 has taken the full channel and doubled it inside the modules, but this halfs the data to both, but again is a more efficent way as "one channel" can read while other is writing for example.

Sure, no disagreements. Semantics are irrelevant, the new channel architecture makes memory bandwidth utilisation more efficient, which was a big issue in DDR4, as it limited scaling of 5950X and Apple M1 quite severely. M1 Pro/Max and Alder lake on DDR5 made that a lot better.

bw8z8tS.png

Even though on SPECfp ST tests, M1, Zen 3 and Alder lake are within 10% of each other, when it comes to SPECfp MT both M1 Max and Alder lake push ahead of 5950X despite having fewer cores, specifically half P cores. You can basically see 5900X and 5950X being the same in SPECfp, that's where the memory bottleneck is causing the problem.

Soldato
Which becomes less and less relevant as the resolution increases. Gaming performance on archaic resolutions really is a pointless metric these days.

Is the equivalent of using a hypothetical 2 or 3x more powerful GPU. Could or it could not mean much now, but if you plan to keep the CPU longer, stuff like that (lower res testing), could matter.

The area behind Tom’s Diner in CP2077 is the most CPU intensive area in the game even at 4K due to the crowds of NPCs the game spawns in these areas. Yet HUB and the other reviewers only benchmark this game in the City center district where there are hardly any NPCs and the load on CPUs is reduced.

That's because I don't think many of these reviewers are actually playing the games they test to look for such nuances. It wouldn't be a first.

Associate
My gosh i been busy all day and not read any reviews yet but going by some comments on various forums its like alderlake makes zen3 look like bulldozer all over again.
Dunno were you got that impression but Hardware Unboxed for example said in their Alder Lake review that it’s probably better to wait for AMD's 3D V-Cache CPU's coming out early next year.
CES 2022 is first week of January and AMD will be there, so I highly expect a release date and maybe some 3D Zen vs Alder Lake benchmarks.

Soldato
Linus was pretty upbeat about Alder Lake but since then I've watch HUB and Level1Techs and my enthusiasm for Alder Lake at the high end has waned quite a lot when you look at the power draw numbers for the extra performance it brings. The i5 still looks promising.
The i5 was always going to be the pick of the bunch especially for gaming while it also has the also has the small cores to offload on for streaming and does very well in productivity for a chip of that price.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Everyone just needs to.... chill out :p

Edit*
I rechecked Ryzen pricing earlier just for curiosity and an equivalent Gigabyte mobo with a 5900x alone was £800 on OcUK. So whilst people have been mentioning going Ryzen, the 12700K still beats the 5900x in most things whilst being quite a bit cheaper. For the £800 range I've been able to get more than just a CPU and mobo for example whilst getting better performance at the same time - So a win win. To get an arguably comparative build on Ryzen it would have to be the 5950x which is way more expensive than a 12700K so that brings the value for money vs performance even more weighted on Intel's side.

If I had a more recent Intel (or AMD for that matter) setup then personally I would not have bought into ADL currently but waited for whatever Intel/AMD have in Q4 2022.

As it stands, this new build is the most cost effective whilst being the best performance for both productivity and gaming combined as far as my uses go.

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Aslo a pointless exercise when gaming is a light load, one uses about 50 Watts, the other uses about 50 Watts...... lets turn that in to a slide to detract from the 250 Watts + ADL is using when editing and rendering your gaming adventures for YouTube.....

At least 1080p would have been more relevant to use

Soldato
The area behind Tom’s Diner in CP2077 is the most CPU intensive area in the game even at 4K due to the crowds of NPCs the game spawns in these areas. Yet HUB and the other reviewers only benchmark this game in the City center district where there are hardly any NPCs and the load on CPUs is reduced.
Quite a lot of the games HWunboxed tested were GPU bound so not really a good indicator.

Soldato
So you admit you were wrong and you're now confirming what I said? Good. Although you did go back and edited your old posts to make yourself look less clueless, but whatever.

Like I said, higher bandwidth, and more efficient bandwidth utilisation, which helped improve scaling of multithreaded memory intensive FP tasks in DDR5 compared to DDR4, as Anandtech said so in the review.
This would seem to backup what @Purgatory is saying; it is strictly speaking a dual channel platform, not quad channel though CPU-Z and HWInfo64 does report it as quad channel.

https://youtu.be/fhI9tLOg-6I?t=1589

Associate
A more valid test would at least be 1080p wouldnt it?

Yes it is more relevant to test at 1080p because a massive amount more people play at 1080p than 720p. There are dozens of benchmarks from reputable sources that show 1080p results. The particular link posted was intended to show the power used during gaming is actually reasonable for Alderlake, shame it is so high for productivity tasks.

For each individual person the only relevant test is the res you game at. I play at 3440x1440p so for me thats all I care about at this point in time.

Soldato

To get the best from Alder lake it requires,

Win 11
Z690
DDR5
Custom water cooling.

Performance is then pretty decent.

Soldato
People keep talking about 'just' the performance increase if they're pro-intel and 'just' the power increase if they're pro-amd...

12600 v 5600x is about 4% worse for power per performance (ie efficiency) in multi thread, and 14% worse in single threaded.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-12600k-alder-lake-12th-gen/20.html

I think what people have forgotten is that Intel were miles behind before on power per performance so they were never going to fully turn it around in one generation but they have made significant gains especially compared to rocket lake.

Back
Top Bottom