• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Caporegime
I don't think it's that simple or I could just pump 250W into my 5600X. They'd have to completely re-engineer the chips, they're just not designed to take those kinds of power loads under normal operating conditions.

The 5950x can only use 140w compared to the 12900k 240w at the same operating temperature. 12900k is a lot better at consuming power :cry::cry::cry:

The point that i'm making is AMD are not sticking with 7nm, next year its 5nm and it is vastly better than 7nm, double everything.

Soldato
I'm going to cancel my z690 and 12600kf, and go with a high end b550 and 5800x, then look at getting a zen3 3D chip next year
Seems like a waste of cash buying a zen 3 chip now then jumping to zen 3D in a couple of months may as well just get a 5800X and stick with it or wait till till zen 3D as the jump from Zen 3 to Zen 3D will be pretty much like zen 3 to ADL.

Soldato
Looks as if Alder lake isn’t happy with 4 memory slots populated at least not on middle of the road motherboards.

I hope the highend boards address that and we don’t have to wait until Raptor lake.

Caporegime
5950X Was released November 2020 ….and now the 12900k released 12 months later sits in between 5900x and 5950x

The Intel 12th Gen Core i9-12900K Review: Hybrid Performance Brings Hybrid Complexity

The Core i9-12900K
When you have your operating system set up just right, and no issues with schedulers, it outperforms AMD’s offering when single core performance matters, and in multi-threaded workloads, it does tend to sit somewhere between a 5900X and a 5950X.

Soldato
Jesus, intel smashing amd here. Hopefully amd don't fall behind again.

I really hope people don’t fall into Raptures lake.

whys every one going on about power and heat, with tweaked voltages we can bring down heat and power usage just like the 10 series I may even de-lid mine.

Because power equals performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Jesus, intel smashing amd here. Hopefully amd don't fall behind again.

Raptor Lake launches next year, drop in upgrade for z690 LGA1700 motherboards, so nice upgrade path! Rumoured 8 more cores, increased IPC and improved cache. Will probably be competing with Zen 3 refresh.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
DDR4 vs DDR5 updated at KitGuru, really interesting as they test the same rRAM I have currently, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB CL18 although he says their version is single ranked whilst CPU-Z tells me mine are dual rank.

Anyway: https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/ddr4-vs-ddr5-intel-core-i9-12900k-testing/

TL;DW - Premium DDR4 is not that much worse than today's premium DDR5, whilst DDR5 is a lot more expensive in the process. DDR5 shines in workloads where bandwidth is paramount like file compression, but in games and stuff? Not noticeable enough to make the jump.

I think with this in mind I know what to do and in the new year look at a fast premium DDR4 kit just to get the best out of the system in workloads.

Soldato
You're just as bad as Jigger with your distorted/exaggerated claims. No Intel have NOT smashed it all around. They've done well in many aspects but definitely not 'smashed it all around'.

I remember you banging on about how great/important AVX512 will be but yet we see here with ADL that you have to disable E-Cores to use AVX512. So much for that then.... So please stop with the predicting how great all things Intel will be with the distortions and hyperbole. I'm sure I am not the only one that finds it tiresome.

Yes when I saw that in a review I was about to bang my head on the table... but again if that was enabled the magic smoke would come out of the cpu. Be funny to hack the bios to allow it to be on and somone to test it... LN2 better be ready.

Associate
The point that i'm making is AMD are not sticking with 7nm, next year its 5nm and it is vastly better than 7nm, double everything.

Aaah, I associated a nuke button with a mass power injection hehe.

From what I remember both AMD and Intel should be on 4nm by 2023 and 3nm by 2024, that's when the real competition begins.. no excuses :D

And just to clarify (yes I know you know), a jump from 7nm to 5nm is not a halving of component size, they are infact arbitrary numbers that have no relation to actual scale. If AMD mange to double everything then they are magical wizards who transcend science and reason.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks as if Alder lake isn’t happy with 4 memory slots populated at least not on middle of the road motherboards.

I hope the highend boards address that and we don’t have to wait until Raptor lake.

IIRC, AM4 suffered similar on early days which ironed itself out once bios updates began rolling out over time. I'd expect the same to be true with the ADL stuff across the range of motherboards too.

Soldato
The area behind Tom’s Diner in CP2077 is the most CPU intensive area in the game even at 4K due to the crowds of NPCs the game spawns in these areas. Yet HUB and the other reviewers only benchmark this game in the City center district where there are hardly any NPCs and the load on CPUs is reduced.
There's a bit of variance, sure, but throughout the city most CPU tests will be generally representative (usually I test from Hospital to V's apartment roundabout). If they had tested in the desert areas then THAT would've been awful, as the game is quite light there, both CPU & GPU.

Back
Top Bottom