Asbestos

Soldato
I always had suspicions that our guttering was asbestos, so I had 2 samples analysed. It came back as NADIS-No asbestos detected in sample.
Great, I'll take it to the tip.

The guy there (you know the type) 'can't take that mate it's asbestos'...
'OK yeah I thought the same, here's a lab certificate saying that it is safe.'

'Certificate doesn't mean **** mate, I can see that is asbestos, I've done a course'
'Well, you can't, that's partly why it is so dangerous and the reason why I spent money having an accredited lab check it for me'

'Either way, you've got too much of it, (3 bed semi worth) you can only use this place for household projects such as 1 piece of it'

Right o.

Spoke to Asbestos sampling UK who I used, they say they have never had an issue with Veolia plants before.
Spoke with my council, they said I have to pay £80, double bag it all and take to a special centre. Meaning ironically that I now have to break all of these complete and inert sections up

Can't imagine why people flytip :rolleyes:
(I won't be doing though obvs!)

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If you are absolutely sure that this isnt asbestos (which you are, very diligent of you to get a proper test) - just bag it so they cant see it and take it to general waste, or gradually bin it yourself. Sounds like you unfortunately just hit a jobsworth - our tip has them too.

Soldato
The chaps at the tip are trained ****heads tbh. Saw a bloke with some internal doors get turned away for no smart reason other than they wanted to be difficult.

I guess they work at the tip though, so what do you expect.

Associate
Swapping a boiler, the engineer found a loose 30 cm square pad under the hot water tank. Very likely asbestos so I rang the council to collect it.

Lady on the end of the phone asked me how I knew it was asbestos. I didn't, but it looked very much like it. Answer came that they would collect it for free, but if it turned out not to be asbestos they would charge me £30. Okay I said, how much to test it ? £60 apparently.

Hmmmm. I'll take the risk I said.

Associate
Surprised it would have none in, but there you go.

Those asbestos awareness courses are just that, awareness of it. They aren't "trained" to identify it. But we already knew they were being jobsworths. I'd break it up a bit while wearing a mask just be sure, and then take it to next nearest tip.

My local tip stand around if there's no superiors there, (not that i care, not much for them to do), but if asked about something by someone their reply is always "landfill". Glass in landfill was the last one i overheard.

Soldato
The tip worker was correct in refusing it, you suspected it was asbestos, so only right they would form the same assumption.

The thing about the certificate is they can't verify what you are bringing to the tip is the same thing that's been tested either. So overall I think their approach is correct.

Soldato
If it’s not asbestos - what the hell is it? Concrete gutters are the only other type I can think of but they would weigh a load!

That was my line of thought as well, but I did think that perhaps when it started to be phased out there might have been a sustitue type of sythetic fibre used, similar to how austalux became superlux. But then, by that point, I thought plastic had taken over for rainwater goods anyway, so probably little point re-energing it to be non asbestos containing

Associate
If it’s not asbestos - what the hell is it? Concrete gutters are the only other type I can think of but they would weigh a load!
Was my initial thought too, I still wouldn’t be breaking it up just in case. We sold a commercial property last year and had to get a real in depth report. Our down pipe contained some, we were told our fuse box might have some (it didn’t) and our ceiling artex contained a form of asbestos too. I was surprised at how much stuff was checked for it to be honest. I’ve also seen numerous plasterers scraping artex ceilings in preparation for plastering on pre 1980s buildings

Last edited:
Soldato
My father preempted these sorts of issues when he got rid of some cement board roofing so called the tip in advanced and ok'd it with the tip boss, he had to get the £80 lab test and then arranged a date and time to take it to the tip and the boss was there to meet him and inspect everything before he let it be skipped. Still a bit of faf but better than dealing with the jobsworths workers who patrol around looking for stuff to complain about.

Soldato
Tips and jobsworths!
Took an old but good cooker to the tip yonks ago,in my small van,can`t take that m8.No vans
So went home and returned with car and trailer
Old cookers etc were on side outside office with price tags!
Cue me unloading cooker and smashing the rings and bodywork with a lump hammer :D
Should have seen the look on the muppets face.He lost a potential £20 sale lol
and if you had it tested surely the certificate from the tester would be of more accurate value than a council tip workers `eye`?

Back
Top Bottom