what motherboard did you buy for your alderlake cpu.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OcUK don't have any Z690 boards in stock no but there are stock of MSI's base looking Z690-A. I don't like the look of it however and it's only a tenner cheaper than the better-featured Asus/Gugabyte etc boards on OcUK so may as well just sit tight a few extra days for OcUK's stock.

Associate
First post :)

I ordered Aorus master, wanted a decent board to play with and Gigabyte always used to have a better reputation than some of the others for support (no idea if that's still the case I've been out of the loop for a long time), not overly hopeful that I'll actually get to play with it until the week after next though given ETA of these boards elsewhere.

Soldato
Think I'm going to go for the Gigabyte Gaming X board, has the same VRM and power setup as the Aorus Pro. Any-one going or gone with this?

Being of as these CPU don't seem to O/C well seems pointless buying a top end board this time.

Soldato
OcUK don't have any Z690 boards in stock no but there are stock of MSI's base looking Z690-A. I don't like the look of it however and it's only a tenner cheaper than the better-featured Asus/Gugabyte etc boards on OcUK so may as well just sit tight a few extra days for OcUK's stock.

I've had to get my board from elsewhere unfortunately, they seem to have quite a bit of stock. CPU from OcUK though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yep I've been looking but seems the board I really want (see below) is the one that's really not in stock anywhere!

Think I'm going to go for the Gigabyte Gaming X board, has the same VRM and power setup as the Aorus Pro. Any-one going or gone with this?

Being of as these CPU don't seem to O/C well seems pointless buying a top end board this time.

Yep I have. There was an article that compared 80 or so Z690 boards and the Gaming X seems to be a mostly fully featured Auros without all the Auros aesthetics or higher price. Seems to be the one to go for in this price range really. Mobos are way too expensive nowadays!

Associate
beginning to get buyers remorse, it would make more sense to buy a relatively cheap DDR5 z690 board, gone 12600k rather than 12900k and just the nastiest ram available knowing that none of it is going to age well and leaving the incremental upgrade path open.

Soldato
My Asus Maximus Z690 Hero is on backorder, hopefully OCUK get a big delivery soon! Appears to be dates thrown around by other retailers of 11th, 15th this month for the Hero and Apex.

@ScottiB Can you shed any light on ETA's for deliveries for the Maximus Hero boards and others?

Associate
Initially ordered a ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX ATX but it was pushed back. Now ordered a MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI ATX Motherboard + MSI SPATIUM M480 NVMe M.2 1TB SSD Bundle.. email says both will arrive now on Monday.

One will get returned but which one remains to be seen!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Could someone sanity check this for me please?

I have Corsair 3600MHz 32GB kit (2x16GB) RGB Pro SL Vengeance. It is CL18 at XMP 3600MHz.

I suspect that the XMP profile on this BIOS version is corrupted because if I turn on XMP the PC won't boot into windows. It turns on but just sits there with no display on screen.

I then have to go and CMOS reset for it to boot back up as normal using JEDEC SPD timings and speed.

I have read about corrupt XMP profiles before and people have just manually set the RAM frequency and voltage to get to the XMP speed anyway.

As these settings are fairly new to me, along with BCLK/Gear ratio etc, wondering if all I need to change get the RAM to 3600MHz is change the "System Memory Multiplier" option below in first screenshot to "DDR-4600MHz" and then set the DRAM voltage to 1.35v?

20211107_023702.jpg

20211107_023723.jpg

20211107_023737.jpg

Soldato
Could someone sanity check this for me please?

I have Corsair 3600MHz 32GB kit (2x16GB) RGB Pro SL Vengeance. It is CL18 at XMP 3600MHz.

I suspect that the XMP profile on this BIOS version is corrupted because if I turn on XMP the PC won't boot into windows. It turns on but just sits there with no display on screen.

I then have to go and CMOS reset for it to boot back up as normal using JEDEC SPD timings and speed.

I have read about corrupt XMP profiles before and people have just manually set the RAM frequency and voltage to get to the XMP speed anyway.

As these settings are fairly new to me, along with BCLK/Gear ratio etc, wondering if all I need to change get the RAM to 3600MHz is change the "System Memory Multiplier" option below in first screenshot to "DDR-4600MHz" and then set the DRAM voltage to 1.35v?

20211107_023702.jpg

20211107_023723.jpg

20211107_023737.jpg

Have you tried the RAM in another motherboard/system? Never heard of a corrupt XMP profile - you shouldn't have to manually lock in the settings when buying XMP profile RAM.

If the same RAM is stable in other systems, then it's likely just a BIOS bug for your current motherboard. It could also be the CPU's memory controller not being happy (CPU officially supports DDR4 3200Mhz only, anything further is technically overclocking).

You could try gear 2 (CPU IMC runs at half speed) and 2T to try and get it stable, though you really shouldn't have to.

Associate

I’ve got 2 x 16GB Crucial dual rank 3600 C16 in my Tomahawk Z690. I just enabled XMP and it set all the settings and works fine in Gear 1.

l’d try running the RAM at 3200 first to see if that will boot windows and the voltage at 1.35v.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I genuinely think it is a BIOS bug! The RAM is what I was using on my old Z170 Gaming 5 Gigabyte board with the 6700K so I know it def works in XMP mode and from what I read online etc some folks have had corrupt XMP profiles before so had to change RAM settings manually.

I will try out setting them to 3200MHz 1.35 and booting up to see if it works and if so may well just leave it at that as that's what

The gear ratio is set to Auto by default but there's no notes on what auto actually means, if it's gear 1 or 2 or something in between. IT do think it's all related if it's a BIOS bug after all!

If none of these work I may just upgrade the RAM to Crucial or something, what Crucial C16 kit do you have btw?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ok so DDR4-3200MHz and 1.35 works fine and I'm in Windows now.

here's what CPU-Z and HWInfo show:

ZGzjcJP.jpg

I'm happy to leave it this way for now if things are in sync with the CPU/bridge etc and in the near future will upgrade RAM to 64GB as that looks like it may be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom