• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
In that case go for a decent looking board in your budget range for a mobo and whatever DDR5 is available in the size you want. Current batch of all DDR5 is high latency anyway so in a year or so you can shift them on and switch to tighter timed modules and benefit from that.

I might be biased, but for £200 the Gigabyte Gaming-X Z690 has the best pack of features from what I could see when comparing all boards in this price range. It's basically an Auros board without the price tag or fancy aesthetics.

Soldato
DPD just arrived!

CPU performance is directly correlated to the size/sexyness of the box, which is why my 12900k will be so much faster than my 11900k (box included for the fun of it!)

VVG0igi.jpg

Now just waiting on the Motherboard, temp RAM kit arrived yesterday :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit bummed the 12700 box is just a cardboard whack affair and the 12900 gets a box with a display wafer!

Box is lovely, fair play. Hope AMD make the Zen4 box something special as well, as could be a good point to build a Ryzen system for me, assuming it's fast in games!

Soldato
Box is lovely, fair play. Hope AMD make the Zen4 box something special as well, as could be a good point to build a Ryzen system for me, assuming it's fast in games!

Be good to see your before and after CB23 runs in single and multi, and a comparison of the same with wattage for both.
Seems the 11900k is so power hungry even the 12990k uses less, amazing.

Associate
12700KF and K are this years best CPU from Intel full stop, power use is sensible and matches a 12900k in real world without the silly heat and power issues.

I warned people when they were not part of the review kits that Intel was hiding it for a reason, now we know why.. it's their best value and best chip this 12th gen.

That's quite interesting, nice approach. Would dump less heat into a watercooled system.

Soldato
That's quite interesting, nice approach. Would dump less heat into a watercooled system.

Also the 12700k and kf can be cooled by good air coolers, where the 12900k needs a 360mm AIO watercooler, which is daft. Even the mighty Noctua nh-d15 couldn't stop it hitting 100c temps on cores. That's the best air cooler you can buy.. So air cooling on a 12900k is not sensible. 12700k a Noctua nh-d15 can keep under control as it has sensible power use and heat output.

I would never go water in any form on my systems, I don't need the headaches when all mighty Sod's Law/Murphy's Law(for our USA friends) kicks in to action and it always does at the worst times. Water gets nowhere near my systems even in a cup as a drink I warn people to keep them away from the systems (seen too many accidents with drinks on desktops and servers).

Also many people just want air coolers as they like the looks of them or just don't have the space for watercooling in their case.

Man of Honour
OP
There's no risk with an AIO unless you damage it. It's a sealed loop that has no maintenance needed on it.YYou'll never see the liquid inside it because you can't.

I've had plenty since the H80 and never an issue. In fact I've never read of any issues with them lol.

Man of Honour
OP
There's little to no noticeable (to be obvious to the ear) pump noise though. Unless you have mounted the rad wrong in which case the pump gets noisy, then the noise is virtually non existent. It's a noise floor level hum at best and some AIOs even let you control the pump speed. My H115i currently is set to performance for example and the pitch/frequency of the sound is such that I find it quieter in performance than in quiet mode but that's my hearing and someone else's preference may well vary based on their hearing.

I find the Arctic P14 PST fans I have in my case are louder than the AIO pump too, and I'm running them below 800rpm!

Soldato
Pump noise puts me off an aio, I can can have my noctua totally silent.

Been testing the LC II 280m from asus a little today. Pump is silent up to 70% PWM. Silent as my NH-D15S @ 800RPM. Very impressed. Will just configure a pump PWN curve to only ramp up during heavy load.

Actually ordered this to try as Noctua have delays in sourcing LGA1700 kits, though pleasantly surprised at the lack of noise. I tried Bequiet silent loop a few years ago, and a Corsiar 280, both were quickly returned due to silly amounts of pump noise.

Have not mounted to a case/motherboard yet, may need to use some anti-vibration pads if I get any rattling etc, hopefully not.

Associate
Just received this, I decided to go for the MSI board after I had ordered but if I'd cancelled my original order I'd have lost out out on the CPU so a board is being returned.

Yt1USRq.jpg

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
In that case go for a decent looking board in your budget range for a mobo and whatever DDR5 is available in the size you want. Current batch of all DDR5 is high latency anyway so in a year or so you can shift them on and switch to tighter timed modules and benefit from that.

I might be biased, but for £200 the Gigabyte Gaming-X Z690 has the best pack of features from what I could see when comparing all boards in this price range. It's basically an Auros board without the price tag or fancy aesthetics.

Thanks. Although DDR5 RAM is a lot more expensive I think as it's a complete new system it probably makes sense to buy a DDR5 Motherboard and RAM, rather than a DDR4 setup and have to sell that and then buy DDR5. Looks as though DDR5 isn't in plentiful supply at the moment so I might buy the CPU and Motherboard, and wait to buy the RAM.

What PSU would you recommend in terms of wattage, I'll go with Corsair, should 700+ suffice?

I'll also have to factor in a CPU cooler as well and a new case. I don't need a new case but I'd like to have a smaller one compared to my gigantic Obsidian 800D, which I'll probably sell on here.

Man of Honour
OP
What PSU do you have at the moment? 750w would be more than enough for most builds especially if you're not overclocking/playing around with volts etc. Or if you have loads of HDDs and other power sapping stuff connected.

I've had Corsair HX 700+, SuperFlower Leadex 850 (both very good) and am now on a Phanteks AMP 750w which was highly rated after I spent a few days reading reviews. What won the AMP for me was the 10 year warranty and that it's essentially a Seasonic on the inside.

12700K seems to be fairly easy to cool so you could go air cooling or AIO if you like. I've not had an air cooler since going AIO back in the H80 Corsair days as really like how open they make the case interior look and feel, plus the reduced noise etc. Personal preference in this area really I'd say. You'll need a cooler that makes full contact with the IHS on the rectangular surface area of these new Intels though to get the best out of it. Arctic's coolers do seem to have that but from what I read in the other thread, Corsair's AIOs don't. Worth checking up on though.

Ive got a few 95nm Intel (real) wafers. You can have one if you want.

Interesting do you have any pics? Also thanks for the offer!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just received this, I decided to go for the MSI board after I had ordered but if I'd cancelled my original order I'd have lost out out on the CPU so a board is being returned.

Yt1USRq.jpg

Remember the Asus cashback offer (google Asus z690 cashback UK). I'm personally getting £100 cashback as bought maximus z690 hero and 12900k from OCUK. Unless your dead set on MSI board, I'd keep the Asus and claim the £85 cashback ;)

Back
Top Bottom