• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
yeah it's pretty funny, how many people on this form spend hours letting their CPU do rendering tasks?

the wattages are just nutty, basically these can't be run in smaller cases that don't use full size PSUs with a modern GPU

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You still upset :p
Nah. Just saying, you could do with being more objective once in a while you know. Defending AMD the way you do makes people want to buy Intel. Just the way when I see Dave and others doing it for the other side puts me off Intel. But in the end I just ignore it all and buy what is best for me and I am glad I went the AMD route a couple of years ago. Went from 3600 to 5900X and still have an upgrade path if I wanted to upgrade next year (probably won’t though as no need).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Watching the HUB video on the 12700KF, it's slightly depressing to hear that with any of the CPUs compared in this review, even an RTX3090 at 1080p becomes a GPU bottleneck because all of these CPUs are so powerful in games.

What a time to be alive when a GPU that costs £1500 is too slow for what isn't even the flagship CPU for both AMD or Intel.

It's depressing because you just know the GPU stock availability appears to have no end in sight but maybe Intel entering the GPU race early next year will kick things into sane levels since Intel don't need to rely on external fabrication partners and stuff much like how these 12th gens have been available everywhere and still are.

Caporegime
yeah it's pretty funny, how many people on this form spend hours letting their CPU do rendering tasks?

the wattages are just nutty, basically these can't be run in smaller cases that don't use full size PSUs with a modern GPU

Cue the Igores Lab Gaming power consumption slide....... that thing has been posted about 8 times in 10 pages, often by the same couple of people.

Are ddr5 boards now limited at around 6200 likely to take even faster ddr5 in future with a bios update?

Its probably just early teething stuff, i've said it before but DDR4 had a problematic start, IMO DDR5 will turn very good in time.

Associate
You get the sense of frustration in peoples posts when they talk about "Destroying AMD" with a few % difference, a sense that they feel like AMD are that turd that just will not flush, stubborn bar stewards that just will not be toppled, the tension of seeing AMD competitive with Intel is intolerable and after getting hyped twice with Intel putting something out that should crush AMD it failed both times and AMD are still standing "GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!"
This is absolute PEAK pot/kettle. Yeah, people are being a bit troll-y (myself included) but you have to admit. A forum that's almost universally moved onto team red (and rightly so) is a pretty funny place when the other side gets back on top. When Zen3D no doubt comes back to beat ADL, it's just going to go back into exactly how it was before.
Cue the Igores Lab Gaming power consumption slide....... that thing has been posted about 8 times in 10 pages, often by the same couple of people.
Ignor Igor if you want. How about the HUB 12700K review where he says the 12700K is more power efficient than the 5800X? Everyone is just using the 12900K's heavy productivity consumption to dismiss ADL. The 12900K is a part factory overclocked to the eyeballs purely to compete with the 5950X in benchmarks.

Soldato
This is absolute PEAK pot/kettle. Yeah, people are being a bit troll-y (myself included) but you have to admit. A forum that's almost universally moved onto team red (and rightly so) is a pretty funny place when the other side gets back on top. When Zen3D no doubt comes back to beat ADL, it's just going to go back into exactly how it was before.

Ignor Igor if you want. How about the HUB 12700K review where he says the 12700K is more power efficient than the 5800X? Everyone is just using the 12900K's heavy productivity consumption to dismiss ADL. The 12900K is a part factory overclocked to the eyeballs purely to compete with the 5950X in benchmarks.

You can't really discount Igor when he's the only qualified electrical engineer in the media, for large and part anyway lol

Caporegime

I haven't watched the Hardware Unboxed review yet, In Blender the 12900K used 335 Watts System vs 220 Watts for the 5950X, this according to Hardware Unboxed, the 5800X doesn't use any less than that its less efficiency tuned but the 12700K would have to find 150 Watts to be more power efficient than the 5800X.

I'll get back to you when i have watched it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Definitely watch it. The 12700KF makes even more sense than ever before. Power efficiency and performance both on its side. A total no brainer really but like he says at the end, it would be a tough split choosing one platform over another but the 12700K/KF just edges ahead for productivity combined.

If it's for mostly gaming then either side is a winner. Whatever GPU you have will be bottlenecking the CPU platform now. Even a 3090 is too slow for these chips.

Soldato
It certainly is Intels next Sandybridge moment, 10 years later. Only this time they have proper competition in the space, and a potential to lose the lead within a few months or like-for-like in less than 10. How much can Raptor Lake build on this success would be the question I'd be asking.

Soldato
So I was thinking 12900K and Ice Giant with a case that has a pair of 140mm fans in the roof.

Now I’m thinking a pair of 5950X or WRX80 systems with a pair of RX 6900XTXH cards as spite purchase to show people what crushing actually is.
Pull the other leg it's got bells on! :) With the amount of times a mod has had to warn you about your anti 'anything not AMD' scaremongering and trolling I find that hard to believe!

Associate
Watching the HUB video on the 12700KF, it's slightly depressing to hear that with any of the CPUs compared in this review, even an RTX3090 at 1080p becomes a GPU bottleneck because all of these CPUs are so powerful in games.

What a time to be alive when a GPU that costs £1500 is too slow for what isn't even the flagship CPU for both AMD or Intel.

It's depressing because you just know the GPU stock availability appears to have no end in sight but maybe Intel entering the GPU race early next year will kick things into sane levels since Intel don't need to rely on external fabrication partners and stuff much like how these 12th gens have been available everywhere and still are.

I think the HUB testing is completely flawed and I wouldn't base my opinion on it. His benchmark test areas within the game are all GPU bound and he didn't bother to fix it. So may reviews I have seen show bigger gains then what he has. I mean it shows Cyberpunk 2077 neck and neck between all CPUs at 1080p yet at 4k, I can easily pull up a video where both the 11900k and 10900k are stressed to 100% and GPU usage drops by around 15-20%. I think the TPU testing is much better. Shows a 6% lead at 1080P and 8% at 720p. TPU doesn't show the variance in 1% lows but using the scaling variance based on other reviews its at least 10%.

On a sidenote, I still can't make up my mind whether to go 5900X or 12700k. I already have a RTX 3080 Ti in my PC which is a heater and adding another hot CPU in it would make my room a sauna but then again its still faster.

Caporegime
Ok, i have scanned through it.

Blender scores.

5800X: 832
12700KF: 636 (+30%)

Power, This is system power, i don't know what the baseline is but the 5800X like the 5950X uses around 130 Watts, this according to Steve Burke.

So a baseline of around 100 Watts deducted from the result

5800X: 225 Watts (125 Watts CPU)
12700KF: 279 Watts (179 Watts CPU)

179 / 125 = 1.42 (+42%)

So the 12700KF is using 42% more power for 30% higher performance. The efficiency is on the 5800X side.

The 5800X is the least efficient of all the Zen 3 CPU's, the most efficient is the 5950X, it uses 221 Watts in the same test, so 121 Watts for the CPU. the 5900X is using 242 Watts, take off 100 watts for the system and your on the 142 watt limit for the CPU, wow, how that's all worked out.... :)

12900K vs the 5950X.

5950X: 477 (+12%)
12900K: 535

While using in watts:

5950X: 121
12900K: 255

the 5950X is 125% more power efficient than the 12900K, two and a quarter times, that's huge. And if Steve said the 12700KF is more power efficient than the 5800X he needs to check his maths, it isn't.

dGC8e3c.png

xXTW3X7.png

Auc4ttI.png

Last edited:
Soldato
On a sidenote, I still can't make up my mind whether to go 5900X or 12700k. I already have a RTX 3080 Ti in my PC which is a heater and adding another hot CPU in it would make my room a sauna but then again its still faster.

you have to weight up the ambient temp in your room if you cant keep it cool enough the potentual power hungry cpu will throttle back to keep within thermal limits, same thing for your gpu too, under load i'd say you'd have easy 550w to cool between a new intel cpu and a 3080 ti, but on the amd side you'd pull between 80-180w depending which cpu you buy and if you oc too.

dont get me wrong intels's 12th gen is very impressive, more so the i5 is a stellar chip amazing performance/price compared to amd, the i5 is pretty good on power usage too

Back
Top Bottom