• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Soldato
Modern games maxed out get right up there and you also want your card to last you at least 3-5 years in my opinion. What will you do in a few years time. GPUs are not a yearly upgrade, especially at this price!
Would you prefer a 6700XT or a 3060 then as that's about all you'll get with more VRAM for the price of the cheapest 3080?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Was thinking about 4k. I feel my desk doesn't have the depth. I'd have to get a max of 28" I think before Im moving my head.

10gb does seem a bit stingy but I love my 1440p gsync monitor. Cost a fortune and I want another few years out of it before I relegate it and get a newer main monitor.

I doubt I'll need to turn any settings down in any games I play. And if I do , it'll be just one or two.

People don't seem to understand need Vs want Vs haven't a ******* clue and will talk rubbish.
If you want or need more vram than get a 3090, you will have plenty then. But not everyone wants to pay silly monies, hence it made a lot of sense from many points of view to go 10gb and hit that price point which made the 3080 such a sought after popular card.

I'm super stoked with my £650 3080FE. Held out for the only card that made sense. It's already printed me £70 lol

Ill come back in 3 years and confirm if the 10gb was an issue and how much.
But why do that? Just sell and upgrade to a 4070 or 4080 next year. Those will have at least 16GB and you will have latest gear. If you can’t afford that then you will never have been able to afford a 3080 performance card with more than 10gb vram in the first place.

Soldato
If you want or need more vram than get a 3090, you will have plenty then. But not everyone wants to pay silly monies, hence it made a lot of sense from many points of view to go 10gb and hit that price point which made the 3080 such a sought after popular card.

But why do that? Just sell and upgrade to a 4070 or 4080 next year. Those will have at least 16GB and you will have latest gear. If you can’t afford that then you will never have been able to afford a 3080 performance card with more than 10gb vram in the first place.
Oh I'll upgrade if I need to. Won't be next year though, as I doubt I would need to. Just drop a setting if needs be and sorted.

Permabanned
i dont understand this logic. some people may collect money over time just to buy a specific GPU, rightfully so, they may target a specific 1440p resolution and higher useful lifetime out of a gpu, for example a gtx 1080 at 1440p. that lasted gracefully 5 years. yet you keep telling people to upgrade every year. not everyone have to. it does not mean they can comfortably afford something

Permabanned
Would you prefer a 6700XT or a 3060 then as that's about all you'll get with more VRAM for the price of the cheapest 3080?

So

So you haven't been reading posts. 4 series cards are like 12 months away and might cost a kidney and might be just as hard to get as 3 series cards. No one really knows .

Permabanned
So

So you haven't been reading posts. 4 series cards are like 12 months away and might cost a kidney and might be just as hard to get as 3 series cards. No one really knows .
no we should instead keep feeding the whole bitcoing machine. by this rate, prices will inflate so much that you will get a gpu for 5000 dollars, and then mine back 5000 dollars in 1 years, so its justified :confused:

the whole reason stocks are not ample is because you can practically mine back the cost within 1-1.5 year. that's the whole reason the system works to begin with. but you cannot expect everyone to mine. thats simple. some peopple just want a gaming gpu and just game on it and maybe use it for 3-5 years in some cases

Permabanned
no we should instead keep feeding the whole bitcoing machine. by this rate, prices will inflate so much that you will get a gpu for 5000 dollars, and then mine back 5000 dollars in 1 years, so its justified :confused:

the whole reason stocks are not ample is because you can practically mine back the cost within 1-1.5 year. that's the whole reason the system works to begin with. but you cannot expect everyone to mine. thats simple. some peopple just want a gaming gpu and just game on it and maybe use it for 3-5 years in some cases

The reason is because scalpers are buying up all the stock and listing it on auction sites and there is a chip shortage Look at FE cards end up on auction sites. There are plenty of GPU'S, but there are being scalped on these sites.

Soldato
dont mind me guys, just here for the incoming drama :D
Oh boy, every game that uses a lot of video memory now is going to be scrutinized and called buggy or to be fixed in a patch.

Could be a turbulent time ahead folks. :cry:
It's not like we ignored this. We did discuss/debate that this was a possibility.

I might try the HD texture pack in Vanguard just for giggles though.

So we are looking at the following games that require more then traditional vram requirements:
Far Cry 6
COD Vanguard
Horizon 5

Am I missing any other games?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So

Well he does not seem to be interested for starters. I also can’t see how availability will be much worse than this time. What exactly are you reading that indicates that it will? Let’s see how long it takes me to secure an fe card when the supers release in January ;)

Soldato
Forza Horizon 5 makes no secret of the fact that it requires plenty of graphics memory with maximum details. Interestingly, the deficiency does not manifest itself as one would expect it to be. Firstly, Forza Horizon 5 seems to have an old (if not entirely old) school streaming system: if the local graphics memory is full, the surface quality is maintained according to our tests - in contrast to many other engines and games, which then serve mush to save the frame rate. When the graphics memory is full, FH5 clearly complains about the lack of space (see pictures below this text) and then simply runs less smoothly and permanently.

The second interesting point concerns the differences between AMD and Nvidia. The Geforce makers prove here again that they have implemented a clever memory management. Unfortunately, no details are known about this, but Nvidia apparently rearranges the data or outsources unimportant data so that a Geforce has more practically usable memory than a Radeon. In the case of Forza Horizon 5, this goes so far that a Geforce RTX 2060, reinforced with only 6 GiByte, shows fewer symptoms of memory deficiency than a Radeon RX 6600 (XT), RX 5700 (XT) or Vega 56 equipped with 8 GiByte.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Forz...-Test-Steam-Systemanforderungen-1382783/4/#a1

Very good CPU performance with RDNA 2 as usual too:
Forza-Horizon-5-PC_CPU-Benchmark_Radeon-vs.-Geforce_Overhead-Test-pcgh.png

Caporegime
Yup as expected, it performs better on amd gpus, been that way for the last few games now, very well optimised game on the whole though.

Be good to see some side by side comparisons of a 3080vs 6800xt as all the footage I've seen on youtube looks good to me and not seen it really pushing vram beyond 9-10GB (with 3090) at most:

Interesting comments on how nvidia make better/more efficient use of their vram than amd though.

They should have showed some graphs of frame latency etc. if it does in fact cause any issues.

Wonder what the patch from microsoft will do.

Soldato
This thread is absolutely bizarre. So many people mad they didn't get that £650 3080 last year.
And trying to make them feel better paying in some cases 800-1200 more for a smidge of extra performance and the ram that might be helpful in a few games at 4k over the next few years.

Yup sad, I agree.

Permabanned
Yup as expected, it performs better on amd gpus, been that way for the last few games now, very well optimised game on the whole though.

Be good to see some side by side comparisons of a 3080vs 6800xt as all the footage I've seen on youtube looks good to me and not seen it really pushing vram beyond 9-10GB (with 3090) at most:

Interesting comments on how nvidia make better/more efficient use of their vram than amd though.

They should have showed some graphs of frame latency etc. if it does in fact cause any issues.

Wonder what the patch from microsoft will do.

This game does not look Next Gen to me?

I am quite interested in the RTX 3070 Ti 16Gb variant to be honest.
To the point where I may sell off my RTX 3070 TUF in early December to drum up some funds ready.
Bare in mind I'm gaming on a RTX 3080 Ti Strix... so this is my spare backup card I'm talking about.

Availability and pricing is a concern though.
As I bet it will be just shocking :eek: on both scores.

Soldato
Interesting, so you have an awesome card then a spare backup lol. I am interested too are they making FE or just AIB only?

This market kind of makes having backup equipment a reasonable idea.

It's not as bad as it was months ago, but there was a time when having money, or even having a warranty, couldn't guarantee the ability to replace a GPU if it failed.

Back
Top Bottom