how to turn on my heater

Associate
Hi,
I am new moving to my new room and anytime i want the heater to work I have to press the boost button,
is this right? how can I switch it one permanently so I don`t have to press boost button every 2 hours, it is frustrating specially in the nights, I have included the pictures,
thank you for your help.
mHOkhUEJxAm2.jpg

AxbJTe1EZrQ4.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/AxbJTe1EZrQ4.jpg

https://gcdn.pbrd.co/images/mHOkhUEJxAm2.jpg?o=1

Soldato
It is a rented room, I am a student here,
Really they designed it to be this way?

Yes the boost is expensive to run, although I suspect if you're in student halls your electric is included?

Get yourself a plug in electric heater and stick it on a timer.

Associate
I assume bills included, so obviously they don't want you to leave it on continuously.

Imagine how many students would just leave it on 24/7 even when they go out as they know they don't need to pay any extra for it.

Associate
OP
bills are included yes,
I thought these heaters have some programming structure so they won`t run continuously,
how about in middle of a night? you have to wake up and boost every 2 hours?
I have to click boost always,
there should be better ways to handle efficiency like the programming mentioned above,

Associate
bills are included yes,
I thought these heaters have some programming structure so they won`t run continuously,
how about in middle of a night? you have to wake up and boost every 2 hours?
I have to click boost always,
there should be better ways to handle efficiency like the programming mentioned above,

Yep, it looks like your heater does allow you to program it with a setback temperature and a normal temperature, however that boost timer that's been installed is stopping you from using that function. I'd look into getting the timer removed/linked out, or as mentioned above, buying a cheap oil filled radiator that you can just plug in.

Soldato
Soldato
absolutely dont do this. Your in a rented room in no doubt a student hall with many other people the last thing you wanna do is start messing about rewiring stuff.

buy an oil filled radiator and be done with it.

I'd imagine supplemental heaters are equally forbidden. Not only because of the extra cost from the unregulated power draw, but the fact they are uncertified, and the potential for fire cause by incorrect use e.g. people covering them with clothes or daisy chaining off an extension cord.

Rewiring an outlet and returning it to the original state before leaving is hardly the end of the world. Just make sure you are competent to do so which somebody undertaking a university education should be. :p

Soldato
You can get an oil filled radiator from Toolstation for a little over £20. It's not worth rewiring the outlet as that too will cost for the replacement socket. You can take the heater with you when you move with less hassle than rewiring the socket back. It may be reprimandable to introduce your own heater but I would consider it less dodge than rewiring an outlet as a non qualified electrician.

Soldato
I would consider it less dodge than rewiring an outlet as a non qualified electrician.

You'd call out an electrician to replace a faulty plug on an appliance? Because the complexity of wiring up that is no different than a flex outlet.

Soldato
You'd call out an electrician to replace a faulty plug on an appliance? Because the complexity of wiring up that is no different than a flex outlet.

But it's part of the infrastructure of the building whereas a plug is not. I wouldn't call out a painter and decorator either but I would expect to ask before altering what doesn't belong to me.

Back
Top Bottom