• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
Far more expensive in the long term, upgrading motherboard and RAM.

There are DDR5 kits floating around, many picked up £100 Crucial 16GB 4800Mhz, to use temporarily while good 6200Mhz+ 32GB come into stock over next few weeks/months. Very easy to just swap out RAM.

I wouldn't say so personally I have 32gb and 32gb of entry level DDR 5 is the slowest and expensive still, I mean sure if you don't mind waiting to upgrade but right now you can't even get any DDR 5 for people needing an upgrade now it makes sense to go with DDR 4.

Soldato
Why is 1080p still important to people? I've been gaming at 1440p + for at least 8 years.

I certainly wouldn't be spending 300 on a cpu and running my pc at 1080p

VR is the only thing I need a high end card for. I am still happy on my 1080p ultrawide for non-VR titles.

Soldato
Go for the Asus, best bios and the tuf has more than enough vrm headroom to let the 12700k stretch its legs. Asus are doing a cashback so you can claim £70 back.

https://promotion.asus.com/en/uk/intel-z690

Does anyone think Asus TUF Z690 is a good board to pair with 12700k?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ntel-z690-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-6h0-as.html

It’s either this or the MSI Mag Z690 but I don’t really like the BIOS on MSI.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ntel-z690-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-36b-ms.html

Soldato
These are the kind of games that reviewers need to cover. RTS, simulators etc. Not sure why they pick games that are gpu limited even at 1080p and all cpus of the past 3 years perform about the same.

Reviewers have to take in consideration three things:
- game is CPU heavy, because is poorly threaded - ArmA 3.
- game is CPU heavy, but is threaded properly - even Crysis 3 in the grass sections, TW 3 in big town(s), BF, Ashes, etc.
- which part of the game is CPU heavy.

Sadly, is not common for reviewers to do that.

Why is 1080p still important to people? I've been gaming at 1440p + for at least 8 years.

If the CPU can't push 60fps at 1080p, it won't do it at 1440p or 4k.

In Surround/Eyefinity, although the resolution increases due to the extra monitors added, also the CPU demand increases as it needs to render more - increased FoV. I'm guess is the same in VR.

V F

V F

Soldato

There are many people in shooters playing with 1080p at 240Hz and 360Hz. Input response is more important than raw picture quality.

Associate
CPU benchmarks aren't there to tell you exactly how it's going to perform with your current GPU/resolution. It's there to tell its raw gaming performance. That might not matter the day you get the chip but it will matter further down the life you own it.

Soldato
I think DDR5 prices will remain inflated over the next full year. By the time pricing stabilises, Intel will probably be in a new socket. I was going to go DDR5 but there is no stock of these kits, even the crucial ones anywhere and I don’t want to wait for months on end and sit on stock alerts on Discord to get good budget DDR5 ram. That got old real fast getting my 3080 Ti and don’t want to go through that again for ddr5 ram.

Cheaper than DDR4 was on release, that's for sure.

Just gonna use the 16GB kit until I can source a 32GB 6200Mhz+ kit.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I assume that's games like CS:Go and Valorant etc. Haven't they been 240fps on cpus for a while now?

Guess I'm too old for that kinda gaming so don't follow the demand too much.

Yeah. Also PUBG, Apex, COD, Quake Champions, Fortnite and such. I've seen many streamers with very high end systems hitting those framerates in those games. Though they also run the games quite low detail for visibility gains.

Even some pro Quake players hitting up to 700fps in Quake Champions with their 360Hz displays when duelling.

Associate
Go for the Asus, best bios and the tuf has more than enough vrm headroom to let the 12700k stretch its legs. Asus are doing a cashback so you can claim £70 back.

https://promotion.asus.com/en/uk/intel-z690
Cheers that makes it a no brainer. I am used to tinkering with Asus BIOS for years now so would prefer that anyway.

I must say the pricing is completely ****** in the PC market currently. 3 years ago I got my Asus Strix Z-390E for £220 and now a TUF costs that much. Insane.

I paid £100 for a 16GB kit of DDR5. Cheaper than DDR4 was on release, that's for sure.

Just gonna use the 16GB kit until I can source a 32GB 6200Mhz+ kit.

Firstly the stock levels have to normalise as DDR5 right now is essentially vapourware. The situation right now is that manufacturers like Corsair promised us the moon but only 20% of the promised stock has actually been released in the channel, it’s that bad. Some reviewers haven’t even received the 6000Mhz and 5200Mhz DDR5 for review. Even when stock of the low latency DDR5 kits arrives, you’ll be paying 3 times as much as DDR4 to get equivalent performance.

Based on my experience with RTX 3000 series GPUs, it’s unlikely that this will normalise any time soon. I got burnt with the whole 3080 situation waiting almost a year in queue to never receive a card. I am not risking that again. It’s of course possible that DDR5 pricing normalises in just a few months but that’s a gamble. I would rather ride out ADL with reliable and value for money DDR4 and for RCL use the money saved towards a high-end DDR5 kit and motherboard. I saw the pricing for ddr5 and early adopters are being taken for a ride.

Soldato
You're missing the point. If you do CPU benchmarks at 4K you'll just end up with a graph with identical length bars and all CPUs would look the same. Even some really old ones.

Depends how many gpus you are using too..

Faster cpus are always welcome when it comes to this situation, but yes I get that 4k right now is not a way to test a cpu, you are basically testing a gpu not a cpus performance as basically the bottleneck is the gpu at this resolution aka gpu bound, we need faster gpus at that resolution to see any cpu differences .

Back
Top Bottom