Multi-zone Smart Thermostat

Associate
Any recommendations based on actual use?

My thoughts so far have been with the Nest Thermostat 3rd Gen, annoyingly I'd have to buy 2 as there's no multi-zone 'addon' for these so would need to have 2 individual ones.

Primarily just looking to turn on heating remotely and set timers (6 per day, 3 times to start, 3 times to stop).

Associate
I've got tado, smart thermostatic valves on every radiator. Any single rad can be turned on so you can heat a single room. Its a basic app, but it works really well.

Caporegime
I've got tado, smart thermostatic valves on every radiator. Any single rad can be turned on so you can heat a single room. Its a basic app, but it works really well.

What I have. Took a few weeks to iron out the kinks but works well now. Glad I got it in the summer! Prices have heated up

As said in other threads the radiator control was the selling point. So nest wasn't an option. And hive, the reviews I read weren't as good as tado

h8kIiA7.jpg

As you can see. Right now we are nearly at meal time.
We have. Fairly regular schedule of being in rooms so it works well. Geofencing is nice too.

You can see the green where we went out for an hour or 2

vpfLnXx.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Got Nest/Google here. They're great. 2 zone S-plan with a system boiler. Does the whole home/away sensing with the phone. Note, make sure you setup the app on your phone/partners phone otherwise when you go out, your partner will get cold and moan at you :D

Associate
Tado gets my vote. Geofencing, HomeKit and zoned heating - when I got it, they were the only brand offering all 3.

Associate
The only issue I can recall with Tado was a setting I needed their support to change. It wasn't immediately obvious but my valves couldn't request heat. Support made a remote change and then each valve as needed can call for heat - took a bit of testing for that to become apparent. Not had an issue since, only other thing to note is the ethernet port on the bridge is 10Mbps, newer switches may not support 10Mbps. Easy to work around but just as an FYI if you consider it.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, with tado is it just a case of buying 2 of the starter kits/thermostats for the 2 zones (similar to Nest)?

I'm not that bothered about valves on each heater initially (could look to do it at a later date, they don't tend to be changed as it is).

Caporegime
Thanks all, with tado is it just a case of buying 2 of the starter kits/thermostats for the 2 zones (similar to Nest)?

I'm not that bothered about valves on each heater initially (could look to do it at a later date, they don't tend to be changed as it is).

Are you wanting something where the whole house heats when either "zone" is too cold?

If so you just need a starter kit and an additional wireless stat.

Bridge connects to router.
Wired stat (comes with kit) replaces wired stat (in my case).
Wireless stat put anywhere.

Be aware with tado you now need to pay for geofencing as a subscription. Might be a deal breaker! I don't pay for this as I bought a v2 used kit! Couldn't believe it worked! :D

Associate
OP
Are you wanting something where the whole house heats when either "zone" is too cold?

If so you just need a starter kit and an additional wireless stat.

Bridge connects to router.
Wired stat (comes with kit) replaces wired stat (in my case).
Wireless stat put anywhere.

Be aware with tado you now need to pay for geofencing as a subscription. Might be a deal breaker! I don't pay for this as I bought a v2 used kit! Couldn't believe it worked! :D

I want it to just heat up that zone, so currently I've got 2 zones with 2 thermostats, if zone 1 goes below it'll heat zone 1 - so just looking for it to do the same initially.

I've currently got 2 wired stats I believe, so guessing I can buy an add-on wired stat rather than wireless?

Caporegime
I want it to just heat up that zone, so currently I've got 2 zones with 2 thermostats, if zone 1 goes below it'll heat zone 1 - so just looking for it to do the same initially.

I've currently got 2 wired stats I believe, so guessing I can buy an add-on wired stat rather than wireless?

If there are actually 2 zones in you're heating system ( never seen this before) with two wired stats you'll probably have to check with the manufacturer.

But at a guess you'd need

1 Bridge, 2 wired stats. If it was tado.

For something like nest. No idea.

Soldato
Just to chime in I'm also looking at a smart thermostat for our new home. Have you looked into Drayton Wiser thermostat? I keep going between this and Tado.

Back
Top Bottom