When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
maybe vw are prioritizing revenue from the UK before the trade war (and like peugot prioritizing chips going into ev's)

edit: apparently its a 65% tint at the rear - offset by pan roof.

Soldato
I drove an EV6 yesterday, quite a well judged car overall I'd say, with one exception that kills it from my consideration for the moment.

Perfectly nice inside, well equipped and it drives well in everything bar eco mode - the dulling of throttle is poorly judged compared to the other two drive modes for me, far too much of a stepped difference, I could genuinely see myself nearly driving into the back of another car if I forgot I'd switched from eco to normal or sport. I'd instantly be turning off things like lane keeping assist too as it was just annoying rather than helpful, but that's not unique to the Kia.

One pedal driving is well set up, it rides well, infotainment pretty decent and it's got the typical electric car trait of having loads of passenger space if you can accept the raised floor - given my kids are young this would be a non issue for the moment. Impossible to judge range from an hour long drive but the car claimed 230 miles from around a 90% charge when I got in it which seemed reasonable to me.

The version I drove was the 230ish bhp car and to my taste not really powerful enough (I'm sure the awd version would be better) with all the weight it's lugging around, most importantly for me though was that given the size of the car (i.e family transport) the boot is pretty pathetic. I'm not sure how they're measuring the capacity but compared to other cars with a claimed near 500l capability it's tiny.

Leaves me in a slight pickle as I've been considering one on salary sacrifice - I'll check the ioniq 5 properly but can't see how that would be much different given the platform similarities. May take another look at the Enyaq now but that potentially disappoints from a performance front too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Autogefeul vw id5 preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l78WzVBNzsY
It features a lower 0.26 drag coefficient, which is .02 better than the ID.4. only 0.5" lower, but, looks sleeker more saloon-like
id5 pro 174bhp 0-60 > 10s - the weight.
supposedly it'll be more expensive £40K than id4 - even if suv's are meant to be a la mode.

edit : reflecting back looks corrado'ish

Last edited:
Associate
This is now my third month on the e-tron, loving it.
Still using the public network at the minute to charge, the last two times I’ve had rude people waiting for me on the chargers, I only charge 45mins on a ecotricity site.

Soldato
VW compensates owners of the VW ID.3 or ID.4 for incorrect range promises through heat pumps

missed that - it's happening again, albeit, after the engineering explained review of model3 heat pump, it could be , generally, true,
and vw had a more efficient co2 one, too
While Volkswagen AG is still working on the diesel scandal, not everything is going smoothly with the e-car either: Because the optional heat pump in the VW ID.3 and ID.4 does not bring the promised range advantage, the group compensates the buyers of the affected electric cars from the company Volkswagen with a credit of 285 euros. An update should make the component more efficient in the future. VW offers the heat pump as an additional option - for a surcharge. The component costs around 1,250 euros and should bring up to 30 percent more range, according to VW even at temperatures down to minus 25 degrees Celsius. But the promise is not kept. What can affected VW customers do now?
The heat pump for the VW ID.3 and ID.4 does not have the promised effect and the 285 euro credit is voluntary. If you don't want to be fobbed off and don't trust the announced software update, you should assert warranty rights for your ID.3 or ID.4 and request repairs. After the unsuccessful deadline for the repair request, the withdrawal from the purchase contract can be declared. In that case, the contract will be reversed. This means that the vehicle is returned and VW has to reimburse the purchase price, taking into account the number of kilometers driven. The customer can then opt for a new car with a longer range.

Soldato
lol I saw that optional heat pump but it was adding something like £25 per month to the lease price and I thought "nah, not worth it" - turns out I was even more correct than I thought :D

Soldato
I've just been catching up on Bjorn's Ionic 5 videos and it seems the battery heating and cooling 'isn't great', lots of both 'cold gating' and 'rapid gating' on the same trip. Doesn't look great going into winter, the car arrived at the charger and the battery was cold so it took a long time to ramp up to 200kw, after a couple of charges it was overheating and throttling back like the latest Leaf did at launch (I assume it still does).

The car also throttles its acceleration after its been rapid charged because it's so hot.

Soldato
By the time BIK gets to parity with ICE, you’ll not be able to buy an ICE. 1% a year basically gets us there.

If anything by I’d expect BIK rates on ICE to continue to creep up as we get closer to the 2030 deadline to price them off the roads and never actually getting to parity.

Yeah i do wonder what planet people are on to think the gap would close...

Yeah I wasn't very clear. I was talking in hypothetical terms ie. at the present time if EV BIK was closer to ICE I wouldn't even consider it yet the low single digit percentages would get me in one (if it was an option) even though it doesn't really suit my day to day needs.

I'm sure the BIK freeze until 2025 (I think) will be followed by year on year increases for fossil fuel burners. That said, I do think the gap will get closer as the government start trying to recoup their diminishing tax from motorists. Say my Leon Estate is equivalent to an MG5, for example as it's the closest comparison. I doubt in 2026 the BIK gap between the two will be any larger than the current 28%.

Soldato
. I doubt in 2026 the BIK gap between the two will be any larger than the current 28%.

You are right it could be even bigger, as the government (whoever that is at the time) will be needing to ensure we are going to hit the proposed climate targets. So I'd imagine company vehicles will be highly disincentivised (sp/new word?) from taking anything other than a fully electric car, will also be in the wrong side of the decade to be going backwards.

Caporegime
Keep thinking about electric but numbers just don't add up.

We both WFH.
We probably use car once or Twice a week.
Only one of those drives is usually 10miles +

For UK holidays distance can be high. 300-500 miles is common.

To me this feels like nearly the complete opposite.
Electric cars depreciate fast
They are not great for long/short drives and are more Commute cars

Feels like an electric car is a long way off for me.
And mediocre used car is much cheaper and probably better than a new electric

Have to say I've lost interest in cars since WFH is a thing and needing to transport kayaks etc

I used to love my s2k

Back
Top Bottom