Found a well…

Soldato
Nice! That beats having water butts around when it comes to watering the garden might be able to use to flush loos etc once the sediment has had a chance to settle and the water clears should lower the water bills at anyrate. Did read a magazine once where someone found one under the floorboards of the house they were renovating rather than cover it they made a feature of it put a glass floor over it and illuminated it with a light.

So looks clear, or planning on drinking it though!

People used to though and within living memory my stepfather grew up on a farm and the well was the only fresh water source had to trudge down with bucket to collect it usually it was ok except when it rained heavily when it would runoff the road and turn it black you still had to drink it though. He'll be 91 this year.

Associate
OP
That sounds epic, would be great to find one in the lounge! My dad’s holiday home is supplied by a well too, and whilst it is ok to drink, he does not recommend it.

must get that test kit ordered…

Associate
OP
So, an update! Finally, sorry for the delay, but we’ve had a few setbacks, mostly around the weekends with decent enough weather, seemed to also have followed a week where it rained - meant the well filled up faster than the pump could handle…

but today we got to the bottom! 14ft down, the last metre or so was really hard work, all sludge, and took ages as the pump ‘filter’ kept getting clogged up. I do have pic, which I’ll pop up tomorrow.

but it’s not really the bottom of the well, there is a large hole/pipe that goes down vertically at least an extra 28ft that was covered. So 42ft+ in total…

Associate
OP
Where the pipe goes down in to the ground, there is some sort of wood structure. Next task for us, now most of the yuck is out, is cleaning

Associate
OP
Where is the hole/pipe or is it that next to the ladder? (Which looks far too clean)

the ladder is aluminium, and we only put it down there when we are actually going down - there is no permanent one.

and yes, that pipe is right next to it, and you can just make out a few bubbles in the puddle, and the top bit of that puddle is very round - that’s the top part of the really deep hole…

It was covered by bricks, and has been again to keep as much crud out as we can.

Associate
OP
Shoved a 28ft drain rod down it and it didn’t touch the bottom :). that’s why I said _at least_ an extra 28ft - I don’t actually know how deep the pipe goes… we are quite close to the coast so I doubt it’s that far, but there is apparently an underground river somewhere round here - might be tapping in to that.

Associate
I wish I had a massive bore like that in my garden too!

yeah i could put all my rubbish in it ...oops :)

on a different tack , have you decided what your going to do with it ..apart from i presume putting some form of cover over it to stop folk falling into it?

Back
Top Bottom