Poll: Mexican Grand Prix 2021, Mexico City - Race 18

Rate the 2021 Mexican Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I still see the Max Fan boys on various social media are saying the MERC is the faster car and its all Max and not the car.. Just lolworthy..

If anything that Merc is a bit of a dog this season and Lewis is driving the wheels off it and I will say this again I'm not a Lewis fan.

Guess it depends how you look at it. Merc has more poles than Red Bull 8 vs 7. Merc's poles are split between the two drivers whereas Max got all of Red Bull's
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...le-position-award.3IbckBlbKxeGD39NC0FCkb.html

And Merc has more fastest laps than Red Bull 9 vs 5. Obviously take this one with a pinch of salt as it's skewed by drivers pitting for fresh tires to get it like we've seen yesterday.
https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/fastest-laps.html

Not sure calling Merc a bit of a dog is fair as on paper it appears to be the faster car.

Soldato
Bit of a dog is a stretch, but RB have mostly had the edge in race trim.
Bit of a dog?? LOL - Its number 2 and 3 in the driver's championship, second in the constructors...

You guys never fail to make me laugh :D

Look at it this way, it struggles when coming up against a Mclaren who has a Merc engine with either Lewis or Bottas unable to pass for the most part.

The floor pan regs have really killed the Merc IMO. It's just got a monster engine to brut force is shortcomings with aero..

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

So, remind me how Red Bull were allowed to develop their engine again? Did they even use tokens to upgrade the engine?

Given the massive improvement and fundamental design change, I find it mental that other teams aren’t kicking off.

What I suspect happened was 1) FIA tried to level the playing field by throwing a hand grenade at the teams with a low-rake design 2) Honda turned up with their all-singing all-dancing engine, which the FIA hadn’t planned for…. So instead of a levelling of the playing field they effectively swung the balance too far in the opposite direction. You could call it a standard FIA knee jerk reaction :o

/Tinfoil hat

Don
Engine development is frozen from the beginning of next year..

Not exactly - I believe as it was this year, you can have one upgrade of each component within the year (but as with Honda and Ferrari, it does not have to be taken as a complete power unit upgrade)

“Just to clarify what the regulations are in 2021: you may have a brand new power unit in 2021. It means that you may bring an update in all the components of the power unit, whatever it is ICE, turbo, MGU-H, batteries, MGU-K, etc.

“But what we did at the start of the season, we didn't complete the entire power unit. So there are still components which are the ones of last year.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferrari-to-unleash-significant-f1-engine-upgrade/6645099/

Associate
He's so unlikeable I turned off the podium and watched the Schumacher doc on Netflix so I could be watching someone likeable on-screen in comparison :o

Finished it myself last night.. Whilst I always found Michael's on track antics a bit dubious (I suspect an overwhelming desire to win overrode any desire to be a decent person!) I found him very personable off track. Interesting to see him partying with DC soon after telling him "you tried to ****** kill me" or similar.

Having had two family members die after serious brain injuries, I do find myself continually wishing that Schumi would recover, at least so he could talk and maybe re-appear in public life...

Associate
So, remind me how Red Bull were allowed to develop their engine again? Did they even use tokens to upgrade the engine?

Given the massive improvement and fundamental design change, I find it mental that other teams aren’t kicking off.

What I suspect happened was 1) FIA tried to level the playing field by throwing a hand grenade at the teams with a low-rake design 2) Honda turned up with their all-singing all-dancing engine, which the FIA hadn’t planned for…. So instead of a levelling of the playing field they effectively swung the balance too far in the opposite direction. You could call it a standard FIA knee jerk reaction :o

/Tinfoil hat

On the other hand we have gone from a season dominated by a team over a second faster without having to use their entire race pace to having a championship going down to the wire. Surely this is the right level of balance regardless of the eventual winner? The results have been close and DNF can make all the difference still. Verstappen was very lucky with the rain and engine penalty. The biggest issue with the Mercedes car is that it does seem to be more impacted by following cars than the others teams. We saw this in previous seasons, but this year with less 1-2 merc starts it has been more apparent.

I worry that the F1 field seems to be coming together with tighter racing than it has for years. The new cars could throw a real spanner in the works for good and bad!

Associate
I'm in favour of a closer field.. lets see races where its more than 1 car in contention for sure... Lando vs George vs Charles vs Max vs Lewis... would love it

Soldato
Redbull did not develop their engines, they had them turned down due to reliability concerns. Once they were resolved then they were able to turn them up to where they should have been.
Thus any protest would look stupid..

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Redbull did not develop their engines, they had them turned down due to reliability concerns. Once they were resolved then they were able to turn them up to where they should have been.
Thus any protest would look stupid..
They very much DID develop their engines. Honda took all of the next 2 years worth of upgrades and pulled them forward for this year.

It's been impressive what they've achieved tbh

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-honda-has-turned-its-engine-into-a-mercedes-beater/6524978/

Soldato
Not quite what I was on about, that article was written in June about how they developed the engine for this year. I was clearly replying to a post that suggested they 'illegally' upgraded their engine over the course of this year..

Back
Top Bottom