When are you going fully electric?

Man of Honour
The Mini has appeal. not sure what the problem really is. The other bookend is the i3 so BMW have both based covered frankly.

Its like EVs have not only turned everyone into lifecyle analysis engineers but also vehicle architecture engineers.

I thought it was a brilliant little car and for what I personally use our Mini for it would be absolutely perfect. Sadly though she doesn't agree :D

Soldato
Well personally i HATE stopping for fuel now. There's nothing convenient about it :D Just conditioned to it.
While it is only once in a blue moon due to her low mileage I have to go out of my way to make a trip out specifically to buy fuel in my wife's car when the tank is low, which seems ridiculous! An EV would suit her so much better but other factors make it impossible for us to justify the swap at the moment.

With work I'd be relying on public charging and just from some of the comments in this thread that is a misery I can do without. I'm not at all confrontational but at the same time I don't like being questioned by some random asking me why I need another 20 minutes on the charger they want to use :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yeah big problem now the muggles are getting them and behaving like morons. Public charging for me still have a novelty aspect to it as its rare, and generally in long trips during summer etc. So feels less of a chore than filling up with fuel in the rain in 5C temps.

Its a bit like getting gas for the BBQ (sacrilege I know). Imagine having to do that for your household energy use instead.

Soldato
11-EF54-B4-11-E9-4-F82-B853-1-DCD18889-A3-F.jpg

Am I right in saying this is a type 2 connector which should fit most plug in hybrids?

Soldato
They're still electric cars though, right? It's taken time for us to get a range of electric cars that are actually decent all round cars, more and more are coming onto the market now. Were it not for the horrendous front end the new i4 would be a strong contender for me, as it is I'm thinking of waiting for the i5 which could end up being absolutely ideal.
I don't mind it personally, people will grow to like it I think.Some BMW designs have grown on people over time. :) IMO it's no worse than the piece of flat white plastic stuck across the front of all cars on our roads :D but people don't even notice it now. Getting rid of that would probably do great things for aero/efficiency. The number plate stuck across the front 'teeth'(grills) of the i4 is what wrecks the look for me.
Grill or the number plate? Now people will notice the number plate more now that I've mentioned it :)
i4grill.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The dedicated BMW 3series neue ev chassis/design should become an interesting interlocutor(pricing and i4 values) when that arrives - please can we have a break.

Aug2021 Volvo xc40 ICE/BEV 'comparison' hadn't seen an up to date carbon take.
51667609258_37bd7f7a3e_o_d.jpg

Soldato
thanks.

It’s a Tesla wall Mount charger. I thought I’d ask as I’m changing cars to a plug in hybrid. So it would save me getting a new wall box charger.

It should work fine. The older Tesla chargers were 22kw 3phase capable but it’s highly unlikely it is wired for 3 phase in a house though as hardly any have a 3 phase supply.

It will be limited to 7.4kw like everyone else and is perfectly fine for a full BEV.

Soldato
Yeah big problem now the muggles are getting them and behaving like morons.
Actually I think it's the complete opposite, which you demonstrate very well in the above sentence. The problem is with the established EV owners on their high horses turning their nose up now that EVs are becoming mainstream and they have to share chargers with the 'muggles'.

The Facebook EV groups are full of similar people.

Soldato
Sharing the charger is brilliant, its when they park and EV into electric vehicle space not plugged in = moron.
When they stay charging when full = moron
When people park in fuel stations and then do weekly shop = moron

Muggle is non magically - in simpler terms non Petrolhead.

And yes Facebook groups is the same morons.

Soldato
Sometimes it's a lack of knowledge with charging connectors and speed.

I came across an ID3 using a BP Pulse, Type 2 connector, which is limited to 22kW, and had been left plugged in for 3 hours and was still going. Why didn't they just use the CCS plug which is more than twice as fast !!

Soldato
Indeed, lack of knowledge, the ID3 for example would have only been taking 11kW max so more like 5 times faster...

A fair few IPACE people have been showed by "established EV owners" that the cover for the DC portion can be removed to allow Rapid CCS charging rather than Type 2. Dealer hand overs are equally as poor.

Thankfully the community aspect of EV and the ABC (always Be Chatting) generally works ok. Its when people roar up, jump out the car "shift your car, its my turn now" it goes a bit sour.

Caporegime
Sharing the charger is brilliant, its when they park and EV into electric vehicle space not plugged in = moron.
When they stay charging when full = moron
When people park in fuel stations and then do weekly shop = moron

Muggle is non magically - in simpler terms non Petrolhead.

And yes Facebook groups is the same morons.

Agree with your first point but what is wrong with staying on the charger when full? Is somebody meant to leave the cinema or meal half way through to move their car because its now full?

And also what is wrong with doing your weekly shop and leaving your car on charge? Surely thats exactly the usage intended and what I will be doing as often as I can.

Man of Honour
Agree with your first point but what is wrong with staying on the charger when full? Is somebody meant to leave the cinema or meal half way through to move their car because its now full?

And also what is wrong with doing your weekly shop and leaving your car on charge? Surely thats exactly the usage intended and what I will be doing as often as I can.

I also thought this was the entire point of destination chargers.

Back
Top Bottom