Where best to position water line and isolation tap for feed to new fridge

Soldato
Hi all I intend to fit a water line to my new plumbed in fridge. I initially thought it was a standard 15mm hose but it's more similar to the below thin wall pvc pipework plus a filter. Do you think the best bet would be to fit it in the bottom of the cabinet (Inc the tap) so that nothing is jutting out the cabinet?

I guess the only risk is if there's a leak that it will knacker the inside of the cabinets.

P.s. Yes a tv on a fridge is hugely unnecessary but I got a very good offer on it .

My thoughts were: new electric socket on the top half of the adjacent unit

New water connection elements on the bottom half of the unit

This is the similar type of fridge connection:
American fridge freezer plumbing Ice Water Kit - Filter, Pipe, Hose Connectors fits Samsung LG Bosch Daewoo GE and all other models https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078GYV...abc_74DDDP32MRQKPDWEH4Z6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

WvHikRP.jpeg

7McpmVu.jpeg

Soldato
10mm will be fine for that and much more flexible. I’d use a proper T fitting and a dedicated isolation valve next to the T fitting rather than one of those which pierces an existing pipe. You might also want a second valve the other side of the filter to make to make changing it easier.

Assuming the water source is at the very left of the wide picture, it looks like the edge of a sink.

I’d T off a cold pipe in the cupboard, fit the filter under the sink, run the pipe into the void under the cabinets over to the fridge. Job jobbed. Those push fit fittings are excellent for this sort of thing and if you push them on properly don’t leak.

But as above, use a proper fitting on the main water pipes and not one of those which pierces an existing pipe.

Man of Honour
10mm will be fine for that and much more flexible. I’d use a proper T fitting and a dedicated isolation valve next to the T fitting rather than one of those which pierces an existing pipe. You might also want a second valve the other side of the filter to make to make changing it easier.

Assuming the water source is at the very left of the wide picture, it looks like the edge of a sink.

I’d T off a cold pipe in the cupboard, fit the filter under the sink, run the pipe into the void under the cabinets over to the fridge. Job jobbed. Those push fit fittings are excellent for this sort of thing and if you push them on properly don’t leak.

But as above, use a proper fitting on the main water pipes and not one of those which pierces an existing pipe.
Boiler in the corner by the window cold pipe should be there.

Soldato
OP

My Plumber was going to do the plumbing elements. As per above he's going to take the cold line off of the boiler (white box) adjacent.
I think he'll solder it if he can fit it or take a push fit connection to it.

Soldato
Boiler in the corner by the window cold pipe should be there.

It will likely be easier to install it under the sink as you have existing connections you can easily T off without having to break into the middle of a pipe.

Likewise the cupboard under the sink is usually very open and can easily take a filter (normally doesn’t have a shelf) and it will be easier to change the filter under the sink rather than tucked into the back of a corner cupboard. The pipes could well be boxed into the service void back there rather than being open.

Edit: just seen the above. I’d just consider the location of the filter and make sure it is easy to change when needed. That isn’t always the closest point.

I’d personally go under the sink as those cupboards are more open and easy to get to water pipes.

Soldato
Is the filter not in the fridge already, my current and last one both Samsung had twist fits inside fridge.

I'd just get a t done under the sink, the supplied hose will be long enough to go under cupboards.

Soldato
OP
Is the filter not in the fridge already, my current and last one both Samsung had twist fits inside fridge.

I'd just get a t done under the sink, the supplied hose will be long enough to go under cupboards.

Nah the filter is an external one (its boxed adjacent the fridge in the photo) . I'm thinking fit it in the bottom side of the cupboard adjacent the fridge so it can be replaced.

To be honest I didn't realise how small bore the pipework to the fridge is.
Ive already agreed a price with the plumber to position the tap adjacent the fridge so there's no value to me to position near the sink (which would be approx 5m away anwyays in terms of pipe run)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This will depend if your dishwasher is in that same run of units, but wouldnt this be easiest (read: cheapest) to just take the bottom plinths off and feed the microbore plastic around to that, and just buy an off the shelf splitter for the dishwasher. My Samsung fridge came terminated in a standard "washing machine" style connector, yours likely came with this attachment too?

(Or indeed just do the same thing with the kit which you have linked to and clamp it onto any cold pipe yourself, if a washing machine style connection isnt already in the run of units somewhere).

Back
Top Bottom