Push/Pull vs Push or Pull in Lian Li D XL build

Associate
Hi,

Currently using Corsair 570x case but feel it’s getting too crowded and looking to build a new cleaner water cooling system for my new Z690 build this time in the lian li dynamic xl with the EK front panel full distro plate. Hopefully will be easier cable management too.

Overclockers description says it can accommodate bottom 360 XE and top 360 PE rad from EK. Based on the images I believe this to be in either a pull or push configuration.

Was just wondering if I’d get better cooling performance from

360 SE push pull for bottom rad vs
360 XE push or push only.

Not sure if they’ll be enough space for an push pull on the top rad though.

looking to use the new ML 120 Elite Premium fans when they come out seem to have good SP and RGB not as nice as nice looking as the QLs but better performance for the rads.

Also anyone know if you squeeze in a third rad in the side panel? The more the better.

First attempt at water cooling in my current set up
https://ibb.co/vYqkT3Z

looking at something like this for the finished product but not sure on best rad configuration.

https://www.att-distribution.com/ou...-o11d-xl-d5-pwm-d-rgb-plexi.html#.YYr7qS3fW-o

Associate
Just use thicker rads and forget about push pull imo.

You can squeeze a third rad in the side but it will make the tubing more challenging.

Associate
The XL can accommodate the PE (40mm thick) side and top and the XE (60mm thick) bottom. The only trick one would be push pull for the top, as it may interfere with the motherboard CPU power connectors or the VRM heatsinks. But push pull for anything thinner than the XE is unnecessary.
Also, using 3 rads you won't really need to, only for the XE which would offer a lot more performance using push/pull.
Used a PE top push as exhaust, PE side pull as intake (the rad can be placed in either chamber. If in the PSU side, just need to gently accommodate the front I/O cables around it) and bottom XE push/pull as intake. Was cooling a RTX 3090 with active backplate and the Ryzen 3900x, fans at 800rpm and very low delta for the coolant.
CPU will idle a bit higher than expected, as it's in the same loop as the GPU, but you can minimize that by using the top rad between the GPU and the CPU, which won't mess too much the tubing routing.
The rear exhaust fan would be more for aesthetic than anything.

Last edited:
Associate
I have found having additional fans on the side intake of the O11 (not the XL) does reduce the temperature quite a bit in push/pull config. Maybe because the radiator (or fans) do not sit flush against the side of the case addiotnal fans help bring in air from outside the case instead of from the PSU area

Associate
OP
I’ve read a few comments were having all 3 rads as intakes with no exhaust with all the PCIe slot covers removed on the XL provides the best temps, it did seem odd to me, but maybe all the hot air is just pushed out from the back of the case from the pressure and that way your not recycling warm into an exhaust rad.

In regards to fans the Notuas sounds great specially for noise levels but I need a bit of RBG :p ,

I was considering the ML120 Elite premium , but now thinking of getting the Lian Li Uni AL120 fans as there only marginally worse on SP than corsairs but better CFM and both have decent RGB also. But mainly for there simple cable management 9 fans only 6 cables to one controller VS the corsairs 18 cables then 1 or 2 lighting nodes and commanders.

Corsair ML120 Elite SP 2.9 - CFM 58 @ 2000rmp 30db
Lian Li AL120 Uni SP 2.6 - CFM 64 @ 1900rpm 28db

Soldato
Push pull is not worth it mate.

Depends how much you really want an extra 50watts of heat dissipation

XE-W10DT-1.0-1850-P_PP.png

Associate
OP
What would you say is better for the side rad?

PE 360 (40mm) with noctua chromax 15mm slim fans (SP 1.5) or
GTS 360 (30mm) with AL 120 fans (SP 2.5)

Associate
Tried pretty much all possible options with the XL and triple rad.
Bottom and side intake, and top exhaust is the best bet.
Also using the top rad right after the GPU/CPU is ideal, as most of the heat will be exhausted straight away, and better, not affecting the other radiators.
Then side and intake will use cooler (ambient) air, and bring almost ambient air inside (slightly warmer).
The main issue as all intake would be all bits that aren't watercooled.
Just do a test, GPU - CPU - Radiator and check how warm the air is from that radiator. Do you want to bathe your RAM, MOSFET, NVME and Chipset with that air?
Some will argue that hot air is better than no air, true... but never better than cool air.
Using bottom and side as intake and top as exhaust, pretty much void the need for an exhaust at the back.

Associate
What would you say is better for the side rad?

PE 360 (40mm) with noctua chromax 15mm slim fans (SP 1.5) or
GTS 360 (30mm) with AL 120 fans (SP 2.5)
PE, either chamber and single 25mm fan. Any half decent full fat fan would perform better than a slim fan.
Using the rad at the side chamber (PSU side) and fans in main chamber would allow some extra room.
You can use PE + 25mm fan in main Chamber, but they'll be very close to bottom rad. Doable, but I rather have more space to work. Also, if the rad is closer to the side panel, most of the air will be from outside, but if the rad is in the main chamber, the 50mm gap from panel to rad would allow warmer air from inside the case to be used.
Last tip, the PE won't return much gain going push/pull. Pointless.
The XE will. The XE can perform using only push or pull, but won't perform at its best at low rpm, unless push/pull.

Associate
As you want to go for the Dynamic XL with the front distro plate then for rads just do the XE bottom in pull , PE at top with push and if you want to fit a 3rd rad then you are limited to the SE in the back chamber with 25mm fans and would do this as pull setup . Exactly what i have done on mine and pics below :)

20211115-185902.jpg

20211115-190016.jpg

An old picture with my old fans but shows how it all fits :)

20210626-164543.jpg

Associate
OP
That set ups looking good , I couldn’t fit any fans to the main section due the pump on the front distro plate. Ended up going for GTS360 as it’s similar performance to PE and managed to squeeze in 25mm fans. Looking at your set up I’m now thinking if I could use my spare noctua slims (15mm) on the bottom of the XE radiator with the AL 120s on top in a push (15mm 1.5 SP fan) push (15mm 2.6 SP fan) to make use of my spare slims and chuck 2 offsets on the distro plate.

Associate
That set ups looking good , I couldn’t fit any fans to the main section due the pump on the front distro plate. Ended up going for GTS360 as it’s similar performance to PE and managed to squeeze in 25mm fans. Looking at your set up I’m now thinking if I could use my spare noctua slims (15mm) on the bottom of the XE radiator with the AL 120s on top in a push (15mm 1.5 SP fan) push (15mm 2.6 SP fan) to make use of my spare slims and chuck 2 offsets on the distro plate.

That is why any 3rd rad/fan combo needs to be fitted behind in the back chamber otherwise it comes into contact with the pump , the SE rad is 28mm and the fans are 25mm so 53mm total space behind taken up and probably 2mm spare before it come into contact with the back panel . it is very tight but does fit using this combo :)

Back
Top Bottom