The last game you completed, and rating.

Associate
Crysis Remastered - 4/10

Money grabbing superficial remaster. I've bought Crysis twice before, on disc when it first came out then a few years later on steam. There was no way I was going to pay for it again, especially at £25, but it came to EA Play recently so I gave it a go.

Graphics are slightly improved with DLSS and Ray Tracing added with some improved textures too, but having installed the original for comparison, the 14 year old game still looks great too.

Gameplay is fine, I enjoyed playing through the story but it isn't as open as I remember and the final level was a disappointment originally and feels worse now. Barely 6 hours to finish, including all the secondary objectives. Slightly buggy at times with 1 crash to desktop and several graphical glitches.

Not including the multiplayer or add-on (Warhead) makes this a really shallow product. Not giving it free to those who already own the original is a real slap in the face too.

If you enjoyed the original and can access this through EA Play or Gamepass then it's worth a few hours of your time. Do not purchase it though, total waste of money. If you've never played Crysis and fancy a go, buy a serial for the original for £2 instead.

Soldato
Medal of Honour Airborne 5/10 (and that's an IGN 5/10, not an average game)

What a thoroughly meh game. A first person shooter from 2007 and very much designed for consoles.

Horrible movement and horrendous aiming and shooting. Very narrow FoV. It takes an age to aim down your sights and not using your sights seems is unpredictably unpredictable (rather than predictably unpredictable... Kind of hard to explain!)

Guns do have a neat levelling up mechanic the more kills you get with each gun, but even that's messed up as guns you use as your general mid range shooter like an STG44 and Gower43 get good upgrades like double magazine capacity or faster reload but then the last upgrade is a massive sniper scope for both, ruining their general firefight usability!

Then the story is the traditional American heroes who get shot and bravely carry on or have heroic deaths, no other allied soldiers are in the game at all just Americans. There isn't an overarching story, just kill Nazis at various famous ww2 missions but the gameplay and story isn't really related to what actually happened on those missions...

It is at least short at about 6h in length.

I'm not sure why a) I played it all the way through and b) it wound me up so much...

Soldato
Pathfinder wrath of the righteous - 9/10

Absolutely loved the game from start to finish for most the part after putting in about 250 hours. Game is massive, so many branching pathways that can change the game meaningfully at times.

Pros
Story is amazing, visit lots of places, locations, characters to interact with and a mass of content. Not all of it is perfect and some areas and missions can be annoying, but on the whole they get a lot right. There is lots of background lore, books you can read to add flavour and what have you. Game does not hold your hand so if this is the type of game you like, well worth a buy.

Music is done very well, they got an orchestra for it if I recall to do the music, but the timing of it is impeccable. Finishing off a massively gruelling mission for example and the light shines through graphically and the music changes to a victory type theme perfectly, lots of this but really adds to it. Graphically it does look nice for a cRPG when cranked up.

Cons
Still got some bugs in it, some story carries through acts, but there can be some quirks and bugs to it all which is a pain, as a result could not to add the quests. The crusade mode, understand why its in the game, but can take up a lot of time to do and not put on auto mode. Putting on auto mode means you do not need to worry about it, but will lose some key things you need to do.

Overall great fun and one of the best cRPG's imo. Does need some polish however so by the time the DLC comes out, may be worth another playthrough.

Associate
Just finished Assassins Creed Black flag yesterday. Have had it a while but couldn't initially get on with it despite enjoying other games in the franchise. After changing a few things to get it running smoother a few weeks ago I quickly got hooked. For a game several years old it still holds up well with a good story and gameplay. Playing it yesterday I thought how the child me would have so loved this with its swashbuckling and gameplay.

Am now wondering whether to buy Unity but a couple of reviews I've looked at don't fair it well. What are peoples opinion please?
Black Flag is the best one out of ALL the creed games.

Associate
Metro Exodus 6.5/10 (non enhanced). The story kept me hooked but the gameplay seemed like more of the same as the two games before this. Similar weapons with the addition of customisation for various weapon types. The environment for the various stages added some variation so that it didnt get boring too fast.
Of the two DLC's, Sams story was a good extension to the core game. Two colonels was more a story than game and got monotonous just burning slime.

Associate
Days Gone (8.5/10) -

I really enjoyed this game. Took a bit of time for me to get into. Even walked away at some point but after I got my 3080 Ti - I got back into it. Glad I did. Really turned out to be a fun game that I wish had a few DLC behind the main story. There was a glitch that constantly crashed my game but a quick re-install and all was good. Just don't enable Geforce Experience optimizations. Ugh. Anyways, for 70 hrs I had fun shooting anything that moved, modding my bike, buying guns, and enjoy the beautiful landscape. Good voice acting too btw!! Sam Witwer was a fantastic voice - really helped pull me into the game. Paid $20 and it was well worth it.

Soldato
Days Gone (8.5/10) -

I really enjoyed this game. Took a bit of time for me to get into. Even walked away at some point but after I got my 3080 Ti - I got back into it. Glad I did. Really turned out to be a fun game that I wish had a few DLC behind the main story. There was a glitch that constantly crashed my game but a quick re-install and all was good. Just don't enable Geforce Experience optimizations. Ugh. Anyways, for 70 hrs I had fun shooting anything that moved, modding my bike, buying guns, and enjoy the beautiful landscape. Good voice acting too btw!! Sam Witwer was a fantastic voice - really helped pull me into the game. Paid $20 and it was well worth it.

There are some mods here that improve the vanilla game a fair bit. I havent tried any yet but will do on my next playthough.

Associate
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider - 6.5/10

I completed the main story, didn't do all of the side quests in the end as I just got bored. Looks fantastic but the story was pretty meh. Also Lara acts like Spiderman in this one far too much. Way too much hanging upside down and making physically impossible moves - just breaks any immersion in my opinion. Some good set pieces but won't go back and do any more.

Soldato
Control - 8/10

Its a solid game, which surprised me as I wasn't expecting much. Story was enjoyable and combat was easy to control and make the most out of all the elements.

Associate
Days Gone 9/10
I've always been into FPS rather than 3rd person but this game made me change my mind and it continued with...

An even better game
RDR2 10/10
Options to play FPS or 3rd person but I stayed with 3rd person.

Soldato
Ori and the Will of the Wisps. 10/10 really.

While the Ori games make me swear, this one only did it a couple of times. Enough to make me rise to the challenge :D

Tricky, but not so hard I get frustrated like some action games. Beautiful visuals and great storytelling. Enough exploration and side quests that I enjoyed just sinking into the game, but enough structure and obvious progression/goals that I never drifted. It made for really good evenings as I could progress the plot, spend some time scouring for secrets and overcome a challenging area all in one session.

On one hand I'm itching to play another metroidvania type title right away, on the other hand nothing will top it like for like. I need a break from emotional storytelling anyway!

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Dyson Sphere Program 9/10
Still in early access, plenty of content and very well polished puts AAA devs to shame, kinda cross between Factorio and Satisfactory.

Man of Honour
Just finished Assassins Creed Black flag yesterday. Have had it a while but couldn't initially get on with it despite enjoying other games in the franchise. After changing a few things to get it running smoother a few weeks ago I quickly got hooked. For a game several years old it still holds up well with a good story and gameplay. Playing it yesterday I thought how the child me would have so loved this with its swashbuckling and gameplay.

Am now wondering whether to buy Unity but a couple of reviews I've looked at don't fair it well. What are peoples opinion please?
I'm playing Unity off and on over the past year or so. Main things I would say:
  • It is way less glitchy than the reviews on earlier versions of the game make out. I've not had many major issues.
  • You need a monster CPU to get the most out of it but it is exceedingly well optimised in terms of threading for a 2014 game. If you have an octa core CPU or better you should be fine.
  • Paris is vibrant city, it feels a lot busier than older games in the series. Some great architecture. This is probably one of the reasons why it hits the CPU so hard because of everything going on.
  • The coop quests can be a bit tricky in terms of finding people to play with, but I've been able to get a few going.
  • Thus far the storyline seems 'OK' but not up to the standard of the Ezio arc
  • Combat is a bit more of a challenge than earlier games in the series, especially because firearms are a lot more common. It's not like the other games where you can just engage a crowd of enemies in the street and methodically hack them all to death, because you'll often end up with someone shooting you from range while you do so. Things like smoke bombs actually feel worth using now.
  • I'll let you decide if this is good or bad but it suffers a bit from objective marker overload, by which I mean you have a map full of icons and it's easy to get sidetracked by trivial mini-quests, which kind of disrupts your understanding of the main plotline. TBH I've lost track of what I'm supposed to be doing. This has been a case in AC games for a while but I've normally coped with it better.

Associate
Control 7/10. Loved the creepy atmosphere it creates and the voices around you. The story was good but had some questions about the final elements of it. Really liked the challenges thrown when going after objects of powers or altered items. Would definitely like to see a sequel to this where hopefully the story is further extended with some more clarity around the board, her brother etc. Bar the few crashes and the repeated ones when facing the anchor, it was an enjoyable game. Also did find that the lighting was weird in some places (being too bright etc).

Last edited:
Soldato
RE: Village- 6/10

Well, I haven't completed it because I decided to drop it halfway through the last area. I just couldn't be bothered. However, I played enough to form an opinion and the fact that it's the first RE in years I couldn't even finish (not counting 6) speaks volumes about my feeling towards the game.

It's mechanically sound, nothing spectacular but it works and certain segments of it were enjoyable. The graphics are also good but that's where positives end.

The feeling of seclusion and tension from 7 is gone again. They haven't expanded upon that game at all. They just decided to make a weird crossover between it and 4, despite having a 4 Remake in the works.

The result is a game devoid of any tension, with a cringey overblown story full of extremely lame villains that indeed feels like going through some theme park (now I understand what the reviews were getting at). Waves of enemies are back, the puzzles are incredibly dumb, inventory management went to hell and the game just strings you along a path so it's hard to really miss anything or even get a shot at exploration. The castle is the prime example, and it's the most prominent location in the game. You do get some optional treasures to look for in the village between the main sections which is nice.

IMO, the game would be miles better if it focused on Dimitrescu and made her daughters unique. Just a big, more explorable castle, branching paths, secrets and solid puzzles with more survival horror and less shooting. The rest can be cut out because it's ****.

The start was promising but it all went downhill after a while. I feel it's not a RE game at all but people seem to have enjoyed it greatly and it's not up to me to decide what Capcom does. It seems they just want to make games like these and they sell well. I'm just glad I'm done with it.

Back
Top Bottom