What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Tightened up a hinge on one of the utility cupboard doors

Then brought some order to one of the crockery drawers in the kitchen :D

IMG-20211107-094953.jpg
Oh that's cool!

Do the bread sticks hold up to much abuse?

:D I jest, I think I'll nick this idea to try and encourage housemates to follow the status quo.

Associate
Tried to seal a knackered, leaking flat roof on a kitchen extension. Cracked flashing and missing mortar where it is chased into the wall. Looks like someone has had a go before with some silicon which has perished/fell out. The felt has been replaced in places with some kind of tar, which also has holes in it. The whole roof needs replacing really, but not a job for winter! Fingers crossed it lasts until summer without leaking.

Soldato
Giving my new garage heater a try out -One Propane stove with brake disc on top

Gave it a few minutes on high then turn down to simmer and the heat it gives out is unbelievable.

30 min after turning it off the disc was still hot - I am sure it would be even better with more discs but then weight would be a problem,

Got a carbon monoxide sensor in there as well.

LF9qWeS.jpg

Soldato
Giving my new garage heater a try out -One Propane stove with brake disc on top

Gave it a few minutes on high then turn down to simmer and the heat it gives out is unbelievable.

30 min after turning it off the disc was still hot - I am sure it would be even better with more discs but then weight would be a problem,

Got a carbon monoxide sensor in there as well.

LF9qWeS.jpg
What's the goal of it? I always assumed gas based stuff will add moisture to the air.

Soldato
I don't like working in a cold garage - I have a gas tube blower but it's either red hot or nothing and noisy- Hoping for a more controlled heat - more to keep it warm than red hot. It certainly does that

Soldato
So had my worst DIY venture tonight, tried adjusting the valve on a rad and it cracked. Cue me running round like a madman. I nipped to wickes to get the part and found the thread was different on the compression fitting. The leak even shorted out the power:eek:. I had to ask my neighbour who's a plumber to come and fix it. Without him it would have been a serious issue.

Soldato
I don't like working in a cold garage - I have a gas tube blower but it's either red hot or nothing and noisy- Hoping for a more controlled heat - more to keep it warm than red hot. It certainly does that

Is that just a stove? if so is that not dangerous if you got any flammable liquids in there

reason why i ask this is because im looking at ways to heat my garage also but I got petrol in there and various other flammables.

Soldato
Yes it is just a outdoor gas stove - I do not store anything inflamable in garage - The one and only 5lt petrol can is in shed.

If you make it safe by moving the petrol etc out then it is a easy way of heating the garage -Also above I did say I have a gas fed fan type heater which is to much for my garage as I only want background heat -I also open a window slightly.

It is sitting on concrete floor with a large tile underneath and I have fire blankets and two extinguishers sitting on wall so unless I do something incredably stupid then I think it is a safe way to keep warm.

When the brake disc is warm you can turn gas right down to a simmer -like just about on and so nothing blasting out.

One other thing is I could have got away with the next size down stove as I didn't realise how hot it can be.

Soldato
cheers guys oil rads must cost a lot to run.
I could move the petrol out of there np, it's just in the winter time I can't feel my hands it gets so cold in that garage.

Soldato
Have to stress you need a bit of ventilation - especially if your garage is reasonably air tight.

Years ago a lad at work killed himself by sleeping in his van on night's with propane gas stove going but it was a small van.

If I had some wall space spare I would just stack some bricks up to make a small chimney breast to put it in. Sort of a permanent spot instead of getting it out from under the bench each time.

Soldato
Just touched up some paintwork. How do you guys blend filler in, I had my old thermostat removed and where I've filled seems very smooth compared to normal plasterboard.

Soldato
Just touched up some paintwork. How do you guys blend filler in, I had my old thermostat removed and where I've filled seems very smooth compared to normal plasterboard.
Most of the texture is from the original paintwork roller so a couple of coats using a roller usually works for me (albeit a bit annoying to 'waste' a roller).

Back
Top Bottom