Found a well…

Soldato
Shoved a 28ft drain rod down it and it didn’t touch the bottom :). that’s why I said _at least_ an extra 28ft - I don’t actually know how deep the pipe goes… we are quite close to the coast so I doubt it’s that far, but there is apparently an underground river somewhere round here - might be tapping in to that.
Thanks for explaining it:)

Soldato
I wonder when it was built/dug, its brick lined and bricks were an expensive commodity until the 19c when industrial methods meant they could be mass produced they're unlikely to have been used for something as utilitarian as a well before they're also very regular almost machine made so again probably no earlier than say mid victorian era. Very interesting.

Associate
OP
No clue, but I don’t think it’s that old. There was a windmill round here a couple of hundred years ago, it’s possible something to do with that. The area was quite ‘rich’ back then, being the supplier of oysters to most of southern England (until they poisoned a load of important folks…) Also that hole at the bottom I reckon must have been machine dug, somehow. It’s not wide enough for a shovel.

Associate
OP
on a different tack , have you decided what your going to do with it ..apart from i presume putting some form of cover over it to stop folk falling into it?

Mostly, we will build it up to ground level with brick, and then plan to put a more traditional style ‘garden well top’ on it. Then it will depend on water quality. Either just for gardening, or maybe plumbing in to the house if it’s clean enough. It’s not n a great position for that though…

Soldato
Great read.

As @ODuffer said above - Be aware of Oxygen levels and the like. I've done some work underground and we would start testing at 6m in some area's.
If you get to the bottom, it may be worth asking a local detectorist to run over the spoil for coins and the like, which may give you a rough age of the well.
Does the well appear on any olde maps?
Any graffiti on the bricks?

Soldato
Would be great to get an update from the op on this.

The small borehole in the bottom will have been drilled. To completely clear it you would have to either redrill it or pump water in under pressure to try and flush out the crud.

Suspended
Great read.

As @ODuffer said above - Be aware of Oxygen levels and the like. I've done some work underground and we would start testing at 6m in some area's.
If you get to the bottom, it may be worth asking a local detectorist to run over the spoil for coins and the like, which may give you a rough age of the well.
Does the well appear on any olde maps?
Any graffiti on the bricks?

Back
Top Bottom