Good egg boiler

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend me a good egg boiler please? You know the little units where you can pop some water and about 5-6 eggs in and have them soft, medium or hard? Don’t want to spend more than about £30-40.

TIA

Soldato
This must be the most pointless kitchen appliances ever. Just put them in a pot, for 6, 7 or 8 minutes…

Wasn’t there one of these on Dragons Den and it failed every single time?

Man of Honour
Yeah just stick them in a pan dude, I did the whole "life's too short, appliance it" vibe but this is an appliance too far for me. Unless you are somehow completely unable to cook normally or have a kitchen the size of most houses you want to fill with stuff then keep it simple.

Caporegime
Don't buy an egg boiler.

To get a perfect boil egg, to stop it splitting. Get one of these and use it at the less pointy end at the air pocket.

6 min for soft boiled, 7 min for soft/start to harden, 8min+ mostly hard boiled.

Depends on the size of the egg, 6:30min is usually what i do. Only drop the egg in once the water reaches boiling point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Odoukey-Piercer-Puncher-Pricker-Semi-automatic/dp/B08Y1NM5GJ/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=2ZPNDQIOM4W76&keywords=egg+piercer&qid=1636643753&sprefix=egg+pie,aps,169&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFPS1EwOE02R0U0NEYmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMDQxMjQyWFJTWlpJUU8wQlRBJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MDgyMjAzRjZCMVo2OUpOMjg2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks guys for your help :rolleyes:

You don’t give any thought to the fact that everyone is not as able as you to cook for themselves or safely handle hot pans of water.

You don't actually need to touch the sauce pan.

1 - Fill saucepan with cold water (if you can't then put empty pan on the stove first then use a cup to repeatedly fill the pan 1 cup at a time until full)
2 - Put on stove
3 - Turn on heat
3 - Wait until boil
4 - Puncture egg and put in egg
5 - Start Timer
6 - Extract egg with a table spoon
7 - Put egg straight into cold pan of cold water
8 - De-shell and eat egg

Wait until water is cooled before tipping it away. In no time you are handling the pan, the nearest thing you need to do is putting the egg in and taking it out, both can be done with the assistance of a spoon. It's what i do.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
You don't actually need to touch the sauce pan.

1 - Fill saucepan with cold water (if you can't then put empty pan on the stove first then use a cup to repeatedly fill the pan 1 cup at a time until full)
2 - Put on stove
3 - Turn on heat
3 - Wait until boil
4 - Puncture egg and put in egg
5 - Start Timer
6 - Extract egg with a table spoon
7 - Put egg straight into cold pan of cold water
8 - De-shell and eat egg

Wait until water is cooled before tipping it away. In no time you are handling the pan, the nearest thing you need to do is putting the egg in and taking it out, both can be done with the assistance of a spoon. It's what i do.
Thanks Ray, but I literally unable to do anything with saucepans or a gas hob, just too dangerous. My limit is the microwave or other small appliances like toasters.

Soldato
If you want to cook multiple eggs in a saucepan then there is risk of collision and white escape;

Steaming them - which is what it appears the dedicated appliances do might be more gentle ? and better taste for a soft egg;
I never boil vegetables any more, albeit, they would leach vitamins into the water.

If it's going to poach too, like linked one - double bonus - otherwise I don't usually bother with poached, direct in pan, as my success rate is low.

edit: could be a life-changing thread - I've been doing it wrong
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-...osed-to-boiling-them-to-make-hard-boiled-eggs

Last edited:
Soldato
I put my eggs in (medium eggs I guess) for 5 minutes exactly in boiling water and they are fine for me.

I don't like them done more than that. The skill is getting the yoke as runny as possible with the white only just about cooked.

Associate
Fresh eggs>saucepan>timer....perfect egss every time!!!

Not so fresh eggs >saucepan>timer possible broken eggs.

x2 large fresh eggs, 3min 45 secs spot on egss.

Soldato
Thanks Ray, but I literally unable to do anything with saucepans or a gas hob, just too dangerous. My limit is the microwave or other small appliances like toasters.

This would have been very helpful information in the OP, as obviously it's a big caveat when offering recommendations and for 99% of people a pan and a timer is a completely adequate set up.

I honestly couldn't tell you what's good or bad, but this is cheap and well reviewed:
Actual Egg Cooker

Back
Top Bottom